Home | About | Donate

Health Benefits of Walking Are So Huge, Let’s Make Sure Everyone Can Do It

The issue that is not even skirted here is the urban pattern overall. Which means that you cannot in most of America walk as part of your transportation. That is what is a natural process...rather than just take 20 minutes and walk. Urban Planners have no power in the system as it is designed...and therefore there is little planning going on. Developers have the upper hand with approval from local government official in the development of the urban settlements. In the rest of the world, walking is part of getting from A to B, i.e. part of living. No amount of summits and much less money is addressing the root of the problem. That's my 2 cents.

I love to walk. I feel so blessed to be able to do so.
My Dad was a walker, and somehow my younger brother and I carried it through adulthood and now into old age.
I have walked around most everywhere I have ever been. I seem to have a need to get out and explore around where ever I am. Admittedly, there have been times prudence(common sense) should have kicked in and turned me around. Some places are clearly more dangerous than others.

You mean "suburban" not "urban".

I know on no urban spaces that are not walkable and usually a joy to walk - with lots of shops, cafes, plazas and small parks and diverse interesting poeple passing by to catch one's interest.

It is the suburban spaces - many without sidewalks at all anywhere, that are the problem.

It may be easy to dismiss Walljasper's focus on walking as "less important" than crises like climate chaos or global war, but in fact it's all tied together in a package. Urban, community, and transportation design are tools that the rampant petro-industrial oligarchy has used as part of their broad strategy to impose "There Is No Alternative" on all of us.

We need to encompass this thinking as part of OUR holistic strategy to reclaim the commons from the corporate colonialists. Props to the conference organizers for zeroing in on specific health and social outcomes as a way to get the attention of people who might otherwise be dismissive. This stuff has real human (and ecological) consequences.

Have you ever tried jumping rope- It works well...While warming up to A steady 45 minute to hour session I alternately jump on A trampoline to tune and work my ankle joints- I much prefer doing this outside though-weather and gas fumes permitting-

Jay W.- Thanks for all your efforts on bringing Bicycling and Walking to the front- I enjoy all of it!

Yes, but you get no sensory or social stimulation exercising on a machine isolated in a room. Get outside!

In many places-"going outside" is A death sentence for the upper respiratory tract....
There are so many gas wells and trucks belching fumes around my country side home that I have to wait for an off shore breeze to go walking- I am sure that in many cities, air pollution is just as bad if not worse...

Walking is great! Whenever possible (which is most of the time, thank Heavens!), I walk to the corner store, the post office, which is about a mile from where I live, from downtown Boston to where I reside, in a blue-collar city just north of Boston, and from Union Square, Somerville, mA, to Cambridge's Harvard Square, or to appointments, after driving my car partway and parking just outside Union Square and then walking the rest of the way.

Sometimes, in the winter, when the snow's too bad to drive in, or it's coming down too hard, I leave my car at home and hoof it to the MBTA (Mass. Bay Transit Authority) station to either go to my TKD (Tae Kwon Do) classes, or to a special event that I've been looking forward to.
'
I even walk to the Whole Foods Market over in Charlestown, MA, in the Bunker Hill Mall, which is within walking distance of my house, as well.

As a woman, I won't walk by myself late at night. If I've been to class or another event, I'll either have a friend or neighbor pick me up, or I simply take a taxi cab back home. No big deal.

I also walk to the Fish Market just 10 minutes by foot from my house a couple times a week to buy fish, and I often walk to the drugstore to get things that I need.

Walking is great! More people should do it.