Home | About | Donate

Healthy Food Just Got a Big Boost in the New Farm Bill

Healthy Food Just Got a Big Boost in the New Farm Bill

Fran Korten

Fresh fruits and vegetables just got a whole lot more affordable for people who use SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program formerly known as food stamps. The 2018 Farm Bill passed both houses of Congress with bipartisan support and was signed into law Dec. 20 by President Trump—although SNAP's funding beyond February depends on Congress and the president enacting a new budget and ending the government shutdown. If that happens, the new law allocates $250 million over five years to healthy food incentive programs, such as Double Up Food Bucks.

YES!!

I have benefited from such a program and the dignity of being able to plow those resources back into the local organic Ag community is a multi-layered blessing. The Farmers Market is one of the highlights of my week. Seeing the local developments of value-added production is another aspect. This kind of experience in diversity provides sound roots.

Imagine that! Corporate Welfare takes a hit! Local farmers markets rule!

Produce is expensive. I think it’s great that SNAP families will be getting incentives so they can serve more fresh produce and less processed food at home. Congress deserves credit for showing concern for the diets of people who are having trouble making ends meet.

Pity it doesn’t include frozen produce which is generally more nutritious and available and affordable than “fresh” produce.