Home | About | Donate

Heavy Rainfall From Barry the Storm's Real Danger—and Climate Crisis is to Blame

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/13/heavy-rainfall-barry-storms-real-danger-and-climate-crisis-blame

No! We are to blame …for doing nothing! What progress have we made since Katrina? None! Kick the Can…Another catastrophe can’t happen again in the exact same place … could it? Did we shut down Chevron, Shell, BP, Exxon… no we did not. The consequences for all of us are clear. No matter where you live it’s only a matter of time. Climbing Everest may not be a bad idea after all…

4 Likes

Oh settle down people … it’s just a Chinese hoax you know … the President says so and he knows eeeeverything cuz he’s like a smart person … USA USA USA MAGA MAGA MAGA. I wonder how great 'merca will be when half of it is underwater and the other half is in flames or lifeless desert.

I guess this was just a “freak” storm then:

But you have to navigate all the dead bodies exposed by the melting snow first.

From Wunderground’s The Long, Strange Trip to Becoming Hurricane Barry:

By the time we’re finished with Barry, it will have traced a fascinating loop from its birth as a disturbance in the Plains to its last breaths as a remnant in the Midwest next week.

Amongst the really weird stormshows we’re treated to lately, Barry is a standout – mainly because of where he’s from. Gulf hurricanes are supposed to come from Africa, not Tennessee. (It’s almost symbolic!)

There’s an ultra-bizarre flourish giving Barry a reputation for eccentricity. He’s a killer, but he’s got style (like his namesake, come to think of it). The past 12 months have been the wettest ever for the NA continent, so Barry’s surge and downpour are on top of a Mississippi with very little margin before overtopping levees.

Then Barry hangs around too long, taking his time about sowing continual misery. Slow-motion disasters seem all the rage anymore.

When 911 occurred, the Christians were blaming us as a nation. They said because we allowed abortion and LGBQ, and because we allowed immigrants, and taxed the wealthy to provide welfare and food stamps, and because we failed to exterminate those who were not Christians, and to spread the word of God by force - that we as a nation were subjected to 911 as an act of God to avenge our sins.

Now we are being subjected to a climate driven extinction event, while the Christians support their corporate big business’, energy industries, big banks, big pharma, and the military industrial complex, - and not a peep out of any of them about it. I guess were finally on the right track according to them, and the extreme weather events have nothing to do with their God, who apparently also fully supports the kidnapping and abuse of children by the government.

1 Like

Peabrain right wing bass turds think climate change is fake news! Could they be any more stupid?

Guitman, Mt. Everest has more than its share of human created problems itself. The three that come to mind are (1) thousands of discarded oxygen bottles left at Camp 4, (2) 67 years worth of human feces deposited in holes dug in the snow then buried, and (3) over 200 human corpses from climbers who have succumbed to the thin air and fierce weather conditions. I have a friend who is a retired mountaineering guide who has taken numerous groups to the summit of Mt. Everest. He is now living in Nepal building hospitals, schools, and medical clinics in the Himalayas for the Sherpas he has befriended. Last year he photographed all of the climbers trying to make it to the top of the world. He said there were so many climbers trying to make the accent at the same time it looked like a solid line of headlamps from Camp Four leading up to the summit. Everest Base Camp has become a small city during climbing seasons and now even sports a Starbuck’s Coffee Tent. There are people trying to climb this mountain that have no climbing experience. They don’t even know how to put their crampons (ice spikes for boots) on. So the shit and dead bodies accumulate. What a shame for such a majestic and pristine places.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0fJfgaz0JWgM3AsHK_tNB6xHA

3 Likes

Thanks for that. A place no longer pristine, I’m afraid. Global air and water currents, with a little help from bioaccumulation in migratory species, eventually carry the most esoteric chemical concoctions to wreak havoc out to the farthest reaches. What remains of solid ice, between melting above and below, that much might be called pristine – while it remains. There’s a problem even assessing toxicity anymore, as so many toxins are now so ubiquitous. There’s no Planet B on which the study can locate a control group of subjects not exposed.

2 Likes

Please quit using terms like right wing, reich wing or fascist and lay the blame squarely where it belongs; REPUBLICANS.

2 Likes

Yep… and wait until we get the death count from Barry! Have you seen the massive flood videos? What the hell are these people supposed to do, not only with the water but the toxins and waste IN the water? This is beyond Catastrophic!

2 Likes

I already know what the situation is on Everest… I was using it as a metaphor…Higher Ground… as Stevie Wonder said…

1 Like

People keep on learnin’
Soldiers keep on warrin’
World keep on turnin’
'Cause it won’t be too long

Powers keep on lyin’
While your people keep on dyin’
World keep on turnin’
'Cause it won’t be too long

I’m so glad that he let me try it again
‘Cause my last time on earth I lived a whole world of sin
I’m so glad that I know more than I knew then
Gonna keep on tryin’
Till I reach my highest ground

2 Likes

Bass Turds?

To aussidawg & Guitman & Aleph_Null

Your friend the mountain guide is just as much a part of the problem as the clients.

“By fair means” - Reinhold Messner’s calling card - and mine too.

You want to climb Everest - first - no oxygen. No fixed ropes. No guides or clients.

Just you and your small party - without crowds.

Can’t do it - then find another mountain to climb.

1 Like

As regards ‘Barry’ and this article, and many like it.

Too much time and effort attributing this or that to climate change.

ppm is 403 and climbing.

Physics is real - and quite simple as opposed to politics, say.

At 403 ppm, not seen for c three million years, i.e., in the Miocence for God’s sake, EVERYTHING is due to climate change.

I love reading these message boards, always good for a laugh! You people are ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as you are.

1 Like

Hahahahahahahaha, good one.