Home | About | Donate

'He'd Be Terrific': Progressives Enthusiastic at Prospect of Lifelong Worker Champion Bernie Sanders as Labor Secretary

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/23/hed-be-terrific-progressives-enthusiastic-prospect-lifelong-worker-champion-bernie

1 Like

Not going to happen. It’s being floated out there now (by Politico for crying out loud) in the hope of getting any ‘stubborn’ Bernie backers to vote for Biden. I will repeat again…AIN’T.GONNA.HAPPEN.

17 Likes

Bernie lacks the credentials to be a cabinet minister in the US government. He is not a neoliberal. That’s the only credential that matters to the GOP-DNC junta.

10 Likes

Charlie Baker:… Medicare for the Few. I heard that Charlie was on the short list for Health, Human Services Cabinet Position under Joe Bidden… With Charlie’s past CEO experience with Pilgrim Insurance “Healthcare Provider…Insurance Businessman”…so much for chances of Healthcare for All…

Don’t worry: You will have health insurance, although it may not be very good healthcare, but you will have access to health insurance…whatever that will entail…You may have very high deductibles, but you will be granted access to health insurance… No worries if you have a corporate job you are covered… or if you are 70 yrs and older, yes may still get coverage… At least with Covid around, there will be less people around that need coverage, that’s one way to increase the % insured in the population… MAGA…USA…United States of Authoritarianism…

5 Likes

He’d be better off for us being a committee chairman in a flipped Senate.

9 Likes

Being candid folks, Bernie has shown not the slightest hint of ability to get any of his goals accomplished.
He does what the DNC allows him to do, which is put on his great talking wonder show, and then disappears
the moment he is told to. In 2016 you might plausibly have argued that he was simply ‘had’. His behavior
in 2020 reeks of either inability to understand how the game is played or complicity. At this point I’m not
sure if it even matters anymore. Bernie is an inspirational talker and talk is where it ends - at least for
the individual who is Bernie Sanders - the far from certain possibility that he may in the process of his
performances somehow light a fire in a real leader who will do what Bernie could not or would not do and
actually lead to change seems a matter of chance/serendipity at this juncture.

Agree with those who say even if he knew how to use power - which he doesn’t - Biden would never give it to him. And I suspect that Biden is far from the only loser in the DNC inner circle who is more just a wee bit jealous of Sanders’ crowds, adulation and success.

Bernie just doesn’t seem to get it - maybe he should take GWB out to lunch sometime - GW could explain
the ‘fool me twice’ concept to him.

8 Likes

No Dem/Ind senator should accept let alone entertain the idea a cabinet position in the Biden admin unless they are a progressive from an extremely blue state where there is no chance of them being replaced by a repub. Not when the senate majority is in the balance.

Bernie’s from blue Vermont but they have a red governor. Does the governor appoint a replacement or does the legislature before there is a special election?

9 Likes

You described very well what the goal of the DNC’s corrupt and crooked agenda has been. The DNC has used Bernie for their nefarious ends although Bernie must also know it, Bernie cannot be that politically…naive!

5 Likes

Yes, I imagine that Sanders could be a fine labor secretary. However, there have been reports that Biden and his DNC pals are looking to create an administration from the Usual Suspects who worked in high level positions in the Clinton and Obama administrations. These same establishment assholes that always seem to be hovering around Washington, DeCeit waiting for their next opportunity at real power.
Biden gave it away last year when he stated that “nothing fundamental will change if I am the next president”. It looks more and more like Biden will win. In that case I’m already prepared to be disappointed at what passes for his governance. One thing is for sure - Biden is not going to be the next FDR. The United States will continue to be run by Wall Street, the oligarchs and the Pentagon with some relatively small improvements on the edges of the empire and progressives like the wonderful AOC will be sidelined as much as possible.

7 Likes

I can understand why many people on this site feel that it is critical to vote for Biden and should do so … but let us not delude ourselves that he will be highlighting Bernie’s ideas and actually make him part of the administration. Instead plan on many of Biden’s republican soul mates to take precedence.

6 Likes

Doubtful Biden would appoint the corporatocracy’s worst nightmare; though it would be good.

He’ll be needed in the Senate especially if it flips. After the Presidency the, highly unrepresentative, Senate is the biggest burdock up the ass of progress. The Senate shouldn’t even exist; it is the antithesis of proportional representation. States with less than a million people have the same representation as California with over 30 million. Then there is their power over the Supreme court appointments and others. Then there are rules that can be arbitrarily changed.

It is nearly the equivalent of the British House of Lords, which has thankfully been reduced to insignificance. On second thought the reforms to the British system would be well if done here: if the Senate were allowed to only review and comment but not block the House of Representative’s bills.

7 Likes

It would be nice. But it won’t happen. If you look at who HRC had lined up for cabinet posts, it’s almost a mirror image of who Biden is choosing. Call it what you want- Clinton Dynasty, Permanent State, whatever. They are focused on maintaining their lines of wealth at all human cost.
Kamala’s sister, Maya, is in deep with the Clinton’s and was promised a high cabinet post in '16, it’s how and why Kamala was chosen. And her husband has a long history with them as well as being the head counsel for Uber.
HRC’s choice for Labor in 2016 was Starbuck’s Howard Schultz. Expect to see him or possibly Facebook CEO Sheryl Sandberg, who was promised either the Treasury Sec. or the Commerce Sec. in 2016.
It is a naked power grab, and anyone fighting for people will not be allowed in.

5 Likes

Bernie in a too big to fail administration, yah, sure, pinch me when it happens. Next William K. Black’s name will surface for Biden’s DOJ. We seem to be forgetting that the DNC is the republican light party. It’s clear that Bernie never had a chance. And if progressives were smart as their numbers grow, they’d start thinking about breaking off, forming a 3rd party, cause as of right now they’re effectively being muzzled.

8 Likes

Can’t remember what the site was I read it on, but apparently not only did “I-am-perfect-and-also-humble-
Mr. O” hold off on his endorsement (has he ever done it?) of Biden, but said, apparently with witnesses,
‘never underestimate how badly Biden can F…things up.’

Looking at his long ‘political career’, he has pretty much always been on the proverbial wrong side of history. He has always been untruthful - whether it was his multiple resorts to plagierism, his overt lying about something as easily checkable as his academic history, or the immorality of ruining an innocent human being’s reputation (lying that the tractor trailer driver who his first wife ran into had been drinking). He has always been willing to go after those least able to defend themselves - see disgusting groping
children photo collection, was an open racist when being a racist was more ‘socially acceptable’, considers only his own perceived best interests in every instance (see account of how he acquired his second wife). If he has ever done anything noteworthy and GOOD FOR THE COUNTRY in his half-century feeding at the public trough it has not been brought up in his campaign.

Seems that where’ screwing up the works beyond redemption’ is concerned, O is in a position to know
that of which he speaks. Never an original thought person, its hardly surprising that all Biden knows is to
repeat what came before. Its just sad that any of the Kool-Aid drinkers voting for him in lieu of Trump
fail to see the remarkable parallels common to both.

6 Likes

I think Sanders would be a fine Labor Secretary, but depending on what the Senate looks like, his seat may be too valuable. He’s in line to be Budgets committee chair so he’ll have influence no matter what. Both he and Warren would be excellent in cabinet positions, but they both serve in states with Republican governors.

6 Likes

I felt the same way in 2016 when I financially supported Bernie, but thank goodness I recognized his progressive con in 2020 before I gave Bernie anymore $.

3 Likes

Sanders neutered himself, as a matter choice. He had the near perfect opportunity to establish that third party he’d publicly and repeatedly said was necessary for genuinely progressive policy. It was handed to him on a silver platter, millions signed on to the cause and clamoring for that “political revolution” he professed to want, the unDems crapping all over him and his supporters and just daring him to do it, and the Greens handing him the keys to the car. And he sold out. With all his years of bs, he’s accomplished one thing of real consequence. He’s kept millions within the unDemocratic Party when they might have supported a progressive third party effort. Sanders’ failure to go third party in 2016 is unforgivable. Had he stepped up and practiced what he’d preached for decades, we’d have a truly progressive third party to vote for in November instead of the horrendous choice before us.

5 Likes

Face facts - no one will ever build a viable third party without the black vote, and that voting block is still stuck in the Clinton era.

What about these facts? The younger black vote is already coming along, far better educated about the failings of the unDemocratic Party than the older black voters and far more open to an alternative. The man would have had 4 years to lay out what truly progressive policy would mean for the country and especially for the black and brown populations. There was plenty of time to bring in black and brown influentials and draw in those communities. The level of enthusiasm and the growing momentum Sanders had going for him in 2016 simply should not have been wasted.

3 Likes

BS. This is another Republican power grab. Let Bernie stay in the Senate and put Reich as Labor Secretary. The Dems, if they win, are going to screw up again.

3 Likes