Home | About | Donate

Here Are Alternate Names for 10 Confederate-Named Army Bases

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/14/here-are-alternate-names-10-confederate-named-army-bases

1 Like

There is a better idea than renaming these bases of the US Empire’s war against the world: Simply decommission all of these bases and tear them down. And then turn them into housing communities for the poor and homeless. And if one insists on naming things, name them after peace activists. Let’s get back to the “peace dividend” that was supposed to happen after the end of the Cold War which was hijacked by the war mongers in the military industrial complex. It is time to shut down all the bases that enable war and lock away those who still advocate for such insanity. War profiteers and their enablers of the US Empire all belong in an institution for the insane.

2 Likes

I’m for having a much smaller armed force and I’m in favor of having them all inside the United States. Therefore we need some bases. I assume you are aware even the military itself wants to close some bases but politicians won’t let them.

1 Like

I appreciate your reply and thoughts. I might agree with you on the condition that the US military only be used for defending the US within its own borders. As it is the US has been the aggressor in illegal wars around the world for most of its existence. I cannot think of one instance where it was used to protect the US from foreign invaders. One might argue that Pearl Harbor was an exception, but there is some evidence that we knew it was coming and allowed it to happen. And well before Pearl Harbor the US corporations were all too happily making profits by doing business with Hitler.
I cannot see the military ever being reigned in from being the aggressor as that has been its history. The military industrial complex needs endless war to keep the profits flowing which alludes to your remark about politicians not letting them shut some down. But then the military is not for shutting them down for altruist reasons, they simply want to fight with more drones and eventually robots. There are no easy answers, but all in all I have no love for the military as it currently is nothing but a private force owned and controlled by the corporations along with their political puppets and has very little to do with actually protecting the USA from foreign enemies. Our real enemies are now domestic. But then, I tend to live in a utopian mindset whereby humans ought to be more concerned about taking care of each other instead of fighting each other, especially with specter of climate chaos bearing down on all of us.

4 Likes

Part of the reason we have many abusive cops (in some cases entire police forces are abusive) is because nearly all cops spent time in the military. Seeing how the last time the US military actually defended the US was WWII that ended 75 years ago, ALL of today’s cops served in a military whose mission and activities have been pre-emptive occupations and other activities that serve the military industrial media infotainment complex’s (MIMIC) interests, resulting in soldiers getting lots of training in abusive treatment of civilians across the globe (that they transfer to their cop careers), most military bases existing solely to feed the cycle of MIMIC operatives funding the campaigns of politicians whose next election is wholly dependent on keeping bases open, procurement of goods and services flowing, all of which the Pentagon says it does not need.

3 Likes

They forgot names like Eisenhower, Bradley, Patton, Merrill and Darby!

2 Likes

How about.

Fort Napalm
Fort Land Mine
Fort Carpet Bombing
Fort Mass slaughter
Fort Torture.

Name them after the atrocities they commit. Why is deemed an Honorable thing to have the US Military name a Fort after a person?

What would a Martin Luther King or a Helen Keller say if a Military base in the USA to be named after them?

2 Likes

None of your suggestions have any appeal to me, I would go with WWI & WWII GENERALS, Medal of Honor recipients, or Presidents that have universal popularity?

3 Likes

It is extremely noticeable that the writer is avoiding Union officers. Why? Too confrontational? There ought to be a confrontation. In fact, I would pick union officers who were sound on the race issue. E.g., Fort Grant, Fort Howard, Fort Dawes. (Indeed, if we are not going to have a Fort Grant, what is the point of all of this?) And if you are going to do revolutionary officers, pick abolitionists. Lafayette is a good choice. Also Fort Hamilton. Fort Reed, Fort Laurens. And how about some African-Americans, like Fort Benjamin Davis? Duh. Really a lousy effort by the writer.

2 Likes

Yup, good names, I support em all, gotta get rid of any names associated with those treasonous Confederate racists. They made war against their country to protect slavery then and are trying to protect the heritage of slavery in the present.

1 Like

Why not just close bases?

Why not attend to less symbolic gestures?

3 Likes

If we are defunding the police we certainly need to follow up defunding the US military and the defense industry as well.
A few bases on land near but not too close to borders. And beef up the Coast Guard . Keep but retrain the border patrol and of course disband and deprogram ICE. That’s it.
Demob and especially, deprogram our soldiers before allowing them back into society. They are violence addicts and need, to a person, serious therapy before they again walk our streets.
With all the welfare payments to the defense industry they are dependent on the government anyway so let’s put them to work instead of making weaponry retool and retrain to make things to redevelop our industries And do it greener .
But no… we’ll talk big and tinker with names and statues and flags and keep on killing, starving and destroying ourselves and any part of the world that seeks to stand up to us…

2 Likes

How about William Calley?

While closing all of the bases would be an ideal solution, the whole debate about name changing falls into the trap of letting the MSM dictate the narrative. Of course corporate America couldn’t care less what we call the military bases, but the “naming crisis” is a great distraction from more important issues like defunding the military or ending corporate imperialism. In either case, when the names of these bases are changed, both Party’s will claim that this is a tremendous victory for democracy and a huge step forward to fighting racism.
On one other note, I have to agree with Professor Horne who has developed a new ‘school of though’ surrounding the American Revolution, namely that the American Revolution occurred because wealthy Americans were worried that the British Crown would outlaw slavery and therefore waged war against England to protect the institution of human bondage. This argument has merit which would make the naming of military bases after American revolutionary leaders inappropriate as well.
In the end, glorifying any base by naming it after military leaders is inappropriate as any war itself must be considered as a historical and political failure of the highest degree. What kind of society are we if we constantly heap praise on our architects of death and destruction while ignoring the people who brought peace and prosperity to all Americans?

2 Likes

The co author, danny of this article has not answered a question i have posted on other sites.
Did you commit murder during your illegal tours in Iraq and Afghanistan?This author is a war criminal and his childish regurgitated drivel needs to boycotted.

Rename Ft. Benning for Gen. Sherman, who burned Atlanta and Georgia all the way to the sea. Fitting revenge. Rename at least a couple of bases for black war heroes or veteran civil rights leaders, like Medgar Evers, who was a WWII veteran. But yes, look into closing most of them while we are gutting the defense establishment by at least 50%, and ending the empire. I’m in a rather b*tchy mood after watching all the video of our paramilitary pigs abusing peaceful protesters or sleeping citizens of color. We need some dead pigs in the streets for attacking unarmed citizens. Don’t burn down Wendy’s, it just takes local jobs (albeit inadequate ones) away from the community. Burn down the pig’s pen to the effing ground every time one of them kills an unarmed person of color.

I am having trouble believing this article passed Common Dreams’ Editor’s desk. These suggestions could not be more tone-deaf, insensitive or untimely. To put forth the names of white men and titled gentry as well isn’t much of an improvement over the confederate names. Really disappointed that Common Dreams would even publish this article.

1 Like