Home | About | Donate

'Here We Go Again': Richest Hospitals Sitting on Billions in Cash Got Golden Bailouts Compared to Those Serving Poorest

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/25/here-we-go-again-richest-hospitals-sitting-billions-cash-got-golden-bailouts

2 Likes

It is stories like this that reveal why we really need a true Progressive at the helm of this country, one with the moral fortitude to entrail an army of dedicated servants to the Cause.
BRING BACK BERNIE 2020!

3 Likes

Are those “venture funds” like the US Congress’ “off budget defense appropriations” that channel ever more taxpayer dollars into the hands of the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC) ?

1 Like

The Big Piggies always get to be at the trough first.

1 Like

Don’t worry, Joe is on it! ( once he gets finished admonishing black people for not paying him proper homage of course.)
Hey blackie! Uncle Joe needs you! Besides, who else you gonna vote for, eh?

4 Likes

The Clinton Monster That Won’t Die

Nowhere Else To Go

The reason we breathe the political air we do has everything to do with the presidency of Bill Clinton. He was the corporate revolutionary that brought the Democratic Party back from the irrelevance of Mondale and Dukakis. After 12 years of Republican elitism masquerading as supply-side wisdom, Clinton’s genius was to simply become a Republican in Democratic cloth, guiding the party of labor into the cigar-scented embrace of big capital. He adopted the neoliberal strategies of the Reagan era, recasting them in the counterfeit clothing of progressive populism.

Rather than challenge the power of money in politics, he embraced it. His strategy of triangulation proved the perfect model for unlocking conservative streams of wealth and simultaneously putting the conservative party on their heels. Imagine a simple triangle. On the bottom left is a liberal opinion. On the bottom right is a conservative opinion. At the apex of the triangle—well, that is your policy. Smack in-between the progressive left and the conservative right. That meant, in practice, moving right on key issues. In response, the Republicans have carved out a new homestead along the frontier of anti-government extremism. No surprise, really. After all, here was some Arkansas arriviste pilfering their positions and passing them off as his own. Clinton lifted their ideas, pimped out his platform to their donors, and somehow convinced his base not to burn down the Democratic Party.

(snip)

Obviously the Clintons think their strategy can still prevail. After all, as Bill Clinton gleefully said of disillusioned progressives he knew would eventually return to the fold, “They have nowhere else to go.”

~https://www.counterpunch.org/2016/02/18/the-clinton-monster-that-wont-die/

4 Likes

I’m sure progressives in congress are all over this stuff and all the other legislation that is defunding public health. Oh wait, they are all eating pie in the sky with Bernie who seems quite capable of ignoring these issues right under his nose. Or, apply the M4A that is neither vetted as a solution or functional except it reduces taxes, expenses for doctors, and caps what we spend per person.

We will soon be able to savor that 6% bone.

1 Like

And stealing from the elderly and disabled isn’t that easy any more, too many dead bodies.

1 Like

In a few weeks we’re about to see the results of this money disparity between rich and poor hospitals magnified. After months hanging out in cities, the virus has now moved to “the country” and small cities. The hospitals in these areas can not handle the wave of COVID 19 that’s about to descend on them. Montgomery AL. is already there, so overwhelmed they have to send new cases to Birmingham, about 90 miles away. For small rural hospitals, this wave is going to crush them, and their staff.

1 Like

Oh, they’re stealing plenty. From everyone not represented by federal, state or county lobbyists and organized labor, or something akin to that.
Even the author of this article seems to have a very difficult time finding a Democratic leader(s) to critique the (Who ) Cares Act about this obvious cash giveaway to the likes of Providence Healthcare, etc. Against such an obvious target, too, as 1 in 5 children and their parents, face constant serious food and shelter insecurity. That’s just one glaring example; but not to worry, they’ll be plenty more.
And, you ain’t seen nothing, yet. When all the chickens come home to roost, concerning the American response to COVID-19, the words " fiscal austerity " will be replaced by " fiscal triage ". It’s governmental malpractice on such a large scale, Goebbels would blush at the audacity.
While the likes of Bezos and The Zuck race to be the world’s first trillionaires. Cashing in like these Corporations, who are already gluttonous cash cows, thanks to the politicians of every ilk.
Remember Bob Dole’s " the poor don’t have a voice in Washington because the poor don’t vote ". Well, the concerted efforts of The Duopoly and their 1% Masters, will soon enough fix that little
problem by erasing any trace of them even ever existing. Meet John, Jane & The Whole Doe Family, indeed. At the endless empty malls of America, now serving as internal refuge camps.

2 Likes

First, do no harm

To our bottom line

Oh I agree, things are going to change dramatically I was thinking about housing, and something like group or timeshare housing. It is the only way a lot of people will be able to own a home. I think about my grandparents in the depression had some pretty inventive ways to get by. I think it was actually easier then. They raised a lot of there own food, they had a large home with a small home in the back. They moved into the small home and rented the larger home. With friends they opened a small shop that provided essential services with several different things. Mostly things that saved people money. Some also had regular jobs too. The difference then is that they had to raise taxes to have a war so it was in everyone’s interest to see it end. Now, we just change it to the national debt and the entire country is insolvent. It is simply crazy, and our leader is the biggest nut job of all.

1 Like

I’m afraid this might be so… I have lots of relatives in rural areas. :frowning:

The only good side for this tragedy might be if rural voters finally see that Trump has been scamming them all along.

1 Like

My Daughter-in-law works at a very small rural hospital. I talk to her about this subject whenever I can, they are not even remotely prepared. Little PPE, no isolation rooms prepared, no negative-pressure rooms for intensive care, and approximately half of their staff laid-off due to no income coming into the system from standard hospital business. One or two serious cases will crush them, and new virus cases will spiral out of control. If reports on the subject are correct, there are many small hospitals just like them all over the country.
I hope the last part of your post is correct, but I won’t hold my breath.

That’s so awesome. Good one.
I remember the stories of my family’s " adjustments " during the time of The Great Depression. Though, it really started for farmers before Hoover, he caught all the flack. And, Roosevelt is still loved because " he’s the poor man’s friend. "
The biggest takeaway to me about this time is a quote from another old wise man, " during The Depression everyone had to make adjustments to things. The rich had to adjust their suspenders and working folks had to adjust to the fact they had no pants. "

1 Like

AMEN! It is still not too late for Democrats to pull their heads out of the sand and elect the candidate the majority of us want and quite possibly the only candidate to defeat Trump!!! Still hoping for a miracle (yes miracles do happen)…Not-Me-Us-Bernie2020!

1 Like