Home | About | Donate

Here's the Story of How I Met Detained Minors on My Flight From Texas

Here's the Story of How I Met Detained Minors on My Flight From Texas

Tim Wilkins

I first saw them sitting as a group in Terminal B at Dallas International Airport. Clean-cut young teens in matching sweatsuits – must be a volleyball team from a private middle school, I thought.

They looked weary, but so was I – we’d just found out that our American Airlines flight wouldn’t leave for McAllen until after midnight.

airport traffic
the runway is crowded
run away planes
traffiking in fliers
landing where
in plain sight
no terminal

The Pentagon is sending military JAG officers to the border apparently to serve as prosecutors.

First thing that comes to mind is that these folks are schooled in the Universal Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) which is NOT based on the Constitution.

This looks like an attempt to conflate and entire spectrum of concerns, actions and powers and use the military (under the Commander in Chief) to do away with the separation of powers. To use the office as weapon, veiled by presidential powers.

I am also reminded of Justice Harlan Fiske Stone addressing Conscientious Objection
Stone, The Conscientious Objector, 21 Col.Univ.Q. 253, 269 (1919) quoted in United States v. Seeger, 380 U.S. 163 (1965). as we increasingly see military personnel, corporate entities such as airlines, lawyers, NGOs and communities and individual speaking truth of conscience to power:

“Both morals and sound policy require that the state should not violate the conscience of the individual. All our history gives confirmation to the view that liberty of conscience has a moral and social value which makes it worthy of preservation at the hands of the state. So deep in its significance and vital, indeed, is it to the integrity of man’s moral and spiritual nature that nothing short of the self-preservation of the state should warrant its violation; and it may well be questioned whether the state which preserves its life by a settled policy of violation of the conscience of the individual will not in fact ultimately lose it by the process.”
Emphasis added

The irony is not lost that Donald Trump and the impulsive instability of those he has around him [according to many of the brighter lights in our nation’s concerns] represent THE central threat to “self-preservation of the state” under a healthily evolving Constitution.

“It’s great that American and other airlines have now stepped up to say they will no longer be complicit in the practice of transporting migrant children who have been separated from their families. But this has been happening all along, under our noses. And with at least 2,300 children already separated from their families now being dispersed to foster-care facilities around the country – we will continue to see these gentle, frightened children, if we look up from our phones long enough to notice. That Look? That look in their eyes? It’s fear.” We don’t need to know nothin’ 'bout this? I disagree.

Mr. President, Attorney General Sessions, these are not animals. These are children. And now, thanks to us, they are orphans.

Totally outrageous, perverse, and despicable, cruel actions on the part of the US government but oh,so American!

“It’s great that American and other airlines have now stepped up to say they will no longer be complicit in the practice of transporting migrant children who have been separated from their families”.
Although done for honorable reasons by the airlines, this makes it harder to track where these kids are being taken to. They will now use Military or agency aircraft, and the public will never see them.

How is the safety of these children guaranteed – by whom – ?
Who’s actually responsible for this and how long has this been going on?
How do Americans find out about this?
Does our Congress even know – ?
I imagine if one member of Congress observes it in their travels then most
of the Congress must know.

Are they too – each one – overwhelmed by what we are discovering and feeling
they don’t have the power to stop it – ?

We had better find out –

I always wondered about the Germans that did the scut work like these transport people for Hitler. How could they do such a thing? Now I know… the banality of evil and a paycheck… complicity is apparently cheap to purchase…

And the GEO Group, CoreCivic and their executives and shareholders are making out like the bandits they are. America has lost its mind and sold its soul.

How many of these children will disappear into the black hole of human trafficking? Or is that how Trump makes his money?