Home | About | Donate

Here's the Truth: The Oligarchy Loves This Democratic Decay and Politics of Lies

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/11/23/heres-truth-oligarchy-loves-democratic-decay-and-politics-lies

13 Likes

Hillary Clinton was right that the Trump campaign was working with Wikileaks in 2016, as confirmed by the 966 page Senate Intelligence report

While the GRU and WikiLeaks were releasing hacked documents, the Trump Campaign sought to maximize the impact of those materials to aid Trump’s electoral prospects. To do so, the Trump Campaign took actions to obtain advance notice about WikiLeaks releases of Clinton emails; took steps to obtain inside information about the content of releases once WikiLeaks began to publish stolen information; created messaging strategies to promote and share the materials in anticipation of and following their release; and encouraged further theft of information and continued leaks.

and

Trump and senior Campaign officials sought to obtain advance information about WikiLeaks through Roger Stone. In spring 2016, prior to Assange’s public announcements, Stone advised the Campaign that WikiLeaks would be releasing materials harmful to Clinton. Following the July 22 DNC release, Trump and the Campaign believed that Roger Stone had known of the release and had inside access to WikiLeaks, and repeatedly communicated with Stone about WikiLeaks throughout the summer and fall of 2016. Trump and other senior Campaign officials specifically directed Stone to obtain information about upcoming document releases relating to Clinton and report back. At their direction, Stone took action to gain inside knowledge for the Campaign and shared his purported knowledge directly with Trump and senior Campaign officials on multiple occasions. Trump and the Campaign believed that Stone had inside information and expressed satisfaction that Stone’s information suggested more releases would be forthcoming.

5 Likes

Stop buying anything but necessities.

Nothing.

Bring the Oligarchs to their knees.

19 Likes

It is WONDERFUL to stop buying anything but necessities! It is fulfilling and fun.
I am crafting with, using, wearing, every single thing I’ve had in junk drawers in my basement, garage, bathroom etc. for decades!
Great advice. I would add try to stop consuming big AG/factory farmed food, try to go vegan.

11 Likes

Your post is rubbish.

The quotes do NOT prove any collusion.

They only show that the Trump cabal believed they could get advance info from Roger Stone.

There nothing in what you quote which proves any collusion.

This is a one-sided attempt by the Trump cabal and the idea that anyone would claim it proves

collusion by Wikileaks means that people like Hillary Clinton are liars.

Claiming anything else from these quotes is only proof that you are a sucker.

20 Likes

CO2 levels will catch up with oligarchs ----soon I suspect.
That offers no comfort.
Unfortunately the early onslaught of suffering (due to humans) is hitting innocent victims, people of color, poor people, nonhuman life forms.

Blue Ocean Even (soon), oceans, rainforests, coral reefs dying----not even oligarchs will be immune to this in the long run (or what may be short run).

Today: Nov. 22, 2020: **413.59 ppm h-ttps://www.co2.earth/daily-co2

A society/culture that loses the capacity of reverence for the miracle of life on earth . . that objectifies/commodifies human and nonhuman life
that does not live with empathy and compassion for all beings ultimately ensures its own destruction.

17 Likes

Is oil a necessity? Is food, shelter, clothing and medicine a necessity? It’s not so easy to bring the oligarchs to their knees. The only way is to seize government from the oligarchs and inject people who serve the public interest into the halls of power.
I am completely in favour of ending the 'Age of Consumerism", but it will only affect some oligarchs negatively. Many will survive and even strengthen their positions if we attempted to scale back consumption to save the planet. From defence contractors to Big Oil and Big Pharma, the tax dollars will continue to prop up these evil, predatory corporations even if I never shop again on Amazon.

4 Likes

I agree completely with your post. The “conclusions” only revealed that emails that were made public concerning “public servants” would be be beneficial to Trump’s campaign. The bottom line is that the emails were true and therefore damaging to the Democratic Party’s interests. Event thought he Republicans have just as much dirt in their emails, Wikileaks brought to light that both parties are complicit in undermining the public interest.
Julian Assange is an international’s hero and should be exonerated and released immediately with U.S. government compensation. But alas, that could only occur if the U.S. were a functioning democracy.

15 Likes

Are you seriously defending Wikileaks here? Wikileaks claimed it got the DNC emails it published from Seth Rich, but that has been disproven. It has been proven though the data Wikileaks published was stolen by Russian military intelligence, so it looks very much like Assange knew exactly where the data was coming from, and was purposely trying to cover for Russia. Just like Trump did, coincidentally.

1 Like

That response was not a defense of Wikileaks, it was taking issue with the rubbish you shovel out. What the heck do you think you’re doing here, anyway? Are you lost? Russiagate Redux is not likely to be found an interesting theme around here. Do you ever read the other posts, here in the Commons?

Your theme sounds entirely Rusophobic, Xenophobic, warmongering, imperialistic, white-supremacist, heteropatriarchal… Just a few matters to cogitate upon, one by one.

20 Likes

Hillary, is that you?

17 Likes

Are you the kommissar in charge of orthodoxy here then? Seems like a great job for someone with your people skills.

The issue here, if you’d like to debate it, is that Hedges claimed the Mueller Report did not show any connection between WikiLeaks and the Trump Campaign. That may be so, but the Senate Intelligence Committee Report certainly did.

2 Likes

You’ve made my day, Hillary. It’s been a month of Sundays since anyone expressed any appreciation of my “people skills.” I’ve been thinking my people skills are way up there, but I might be the only one.

2 Likes

Right up there with your sarcasm detection skills, ace.

Stone is hardly a credible source. Neither are people who try to leak Julian Assange to Trump, I sincerly doubt if the two are connected in any way. On the other hand Trump and Bill and Hillary Clinton are old friends.

The connections between Trump and his former opponent and the former President are too strong to overlook, and there is a real possibility that the 2016 and 2020 elections were rigged in order to create a fake dichotomy between extremist groups, and shut out the rational center. In this case I think Bernie Sanders would have represented the center, and a return to real democracy. However, for one reason or another, he left the GATS out, see below. Which was a very bad thing because now Americans are living in a fake simulacrum with little relation to the true, global situation, because we dont know about the major changes that have been made to the world in the last 25 years, particularly the alleged promises our government has made to trade jobs for markets (that likely will never materialize)

Instead, twice we’ve been were forced into a choice between two repugnant, right wing candidates, and asked to pick whichever one we thought was the least evil. This was not democracy.

I think it was rigged by people trying to conceal the GATS trade agreement which sold us down the river 25 years ago, a crime which has never been acknowledged.

8 Likes

I watch Hedges on Russian TV fairly often as he generally has interesting guests. While I do have a good deal of respect for Hedges’ intelligence, I take his views on Russian interference in the 2016 election with a jaundiced eye since Russia/Russian Television is his employer.

3 Likes

Where the distinction between “ultimately” and “immediately” becomes more difficult to discern…

Running my analysis of state-outbreaks this morning, I’m astounded at New Mexico’s spectacular ascent. I’m worrying my formulae all the time to find something more stable than Johns Hopkins’ weekly positivity – the point of it being: If I can use averaging to smooth out temporal wobbles that are otherwise just waving back and forth meaninglessly, I might be getting to numbers which more closely approximate reality.

Because of how I smear weekly and monthly averages of positivity, new cases, and deaths together, the relative ranking I wind up with is less volatile. But New Mexico quite suddenly leapt to 10th place today (behind Wisconsin and Utah). Too many folks are packing the goddam airports, for crying out loud, fanning this flame into their own communities and households. WTF is wrong with US Americans? This Thanksgiving will go down in history as the deadliest ever – after two weeks you’ll see caseload surging, after four weeks deaths. Just in time for Christmas, occasion for further death-cult congregations. We can exchange presents at funerals. How convenient.

4 Likes

Hedges had to go to that length because the vast majority of other outlets are hellbent on

preventing people from learning his insights. If there is propaganda on RT it is far, far smaller

than the garbage presented on most of the outlets in the US and the UK (and that includes your

beloved Russia-gating crap).

12 Likes

No, it’s HRC’s unpaid intern.

3 Likes

Nothing we don’t know by now, Chris Hedges.

1 Like