Home | About | Donate

Hey, CNN: Three #TalkPoverty Questions for the Reagan Library Debate

Hey, CNN: Three #TalkPoverty Questions for the Reagan Library Debate

Marisol Bello

Editor’s Note: This piece continues a campaign at TalkPoverty.org where advocates and people struggling to make ends meet will ask 2016 presidential candidates about how they would significantly reduce poverty and inequality in this country. Here are four more questions that should have been asked at the last presidential debate.

We encourage you to ask questions of the candidates and join the conversation using #talkpoverty and #familiesvote.

Those are good questions and worthy of a real debate. This, of course, is no real debate. This the Republican Debate-like Spectacle!

Joining our show tonight - Carly Fiorina! Like Donald Trump, she makes good faces!

Refer to the fine print for issues like poverty. If you want something other than xenophobia and all-war-all-the-time, you have the wrong program. If you want your opinion to matter, you have the wrong country.

My Bernie T-shirt reads "Join the Political Revolution Today"

Really, all we want is to UN-do the "Reagan Revolution."

Hey, Maria, are you going to do a little soft-shoe to go along with that establishment-liberal tune? I have visions of Oliver Twist groveling and pleading as he holds out his bowl, "Please, sir, may I have a little more?" Actually, asking a bunch of corporate-shill Republicans what they're going to do about persistent poverty in America is about the biggest waste of time that I can think of -- except perhaps for voting itself. We need different approaches, folks. We need a complete overhaul of the U.S. government, and that won't happen through polite questions directed at the usual political hacks.

I want answers from those running on the Dem ticket. That said, this article is incomplete. Note that it was Bill Clinton who ended actual welfare, then took the first steps to similarly "reform" Social Security, targeting the disabled. As a result of Clinton's cuts, the disabled became the fastest-growing group of homeless Americans by 2000 (they did very poorly on the streets). Disability benefits were finally restored after Obama became president. Unfortunately, the Dems promptly resumed targeting the disabled again. This year alone, Democrats agreed to virtually end food stamps to the elderly poor and the disabled. The media marketed to liberals really haven't had time to address any of this as they have been very busy trying to sell neoliberal Hillary Clinton -- pro-war, anti-poor, pro-corporate empowerment, anti-New Deal Clinton.

Think a minute: If we had a revolution, who would fight whom? What the rich are now doing to the middle class is what the middle class already did to the poor.

Our liberal bourgeoisie lack the courage to address our most critical issues. Let's get real for a minute: In real life, not everyone can work (health, etc.) and there simply aren't jobs for all. The US shipped out a huge number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare in the 1990s. What should we do with our jobless poor, and many of the unemployable? Believe me, you can't buy a loaf of bread with promises of eventual jobs.

Reagan and Reaganomics failed disastrously, unless you were wealthy and/or a corporation. That was he way it was intended to happen by the rising 1% at the time. Use the poor and middle class to sell the corporate products to and to collect taxes from to pay for the free money give away to the already wealthiest and playing along countries.

These two republican debates have had the highest ratings ever-and what are the two triggers-immigration and terrorism-the fear card---real economic issues not addressed for decades and people get closer to the edge looking for(false) answers. And CNN made it more into a spectacle to boost ratings than address real issues. These candidates are scary. CNN,FOX,and MSNBC are scary!

we do owe trump a debt of gratitude for hammering jeb into single digit poll numbers. however, jeb has done as much or more to damage himself. there just aren't enough old white people to go around and the donald has solidified the cranky old fart vote.