Home | About | Donate

High School Football Players Take Knee for Anthem Across Country

High School Football Players Take Knee for Anthem Across Country

- Common Dreams staff

High school football players across the US followed San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's lead and declined to stand for the national anthem Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

It appears that Kaepernick has started a movement after he stayed seated during the national anthem during a pre-season game on August 26. Kaepernick said his "taking a knee" was to protest racial oppression and police brutality in the United States.

Well, I hope these kids aren't being pressured, or to "take a knee" as Tim Tebow used to. Being pressed to assume an attitude of Christian prayer during the anthem deepens the disturbing idolatry. If they're following Kaepernick, they should press their schools to drop the playing of the anthem as having essentially nothing to do with football.

False Flag of a Republic:......

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Republic:.......a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.

One could argue that this former Allegiance to the Flag is no longer valid:
1. We no longer live in a Republic..... other forces have taken over our government.
2. "Liberty and Justice for all"...... Did we ever have this and do we have it now.?....think of Dakota Pipeline and Indigenous peoples rights; Think of Chelsea Manning, Julian Assange, and Edward Snowden (our true patriots and heros)......
3. Monarchy.....Think Clintons, Bushes,.......

My guess is that the pressure to stand from parents and teachers and many of their peers is a whole lot stronger. I think it's neat that these kids are taking part in this national protest started by Mr. Kaepernick. Things like this do draw the attention of people and helps generate the types of discussions that can only benefit society in the long term.

could not be happier - the young people are making the revolution we all have needed for such a long tIme! BLESS YOU ALL

Wildfire! When the spark is thrown, one never knows. There's a lot of tinder out there ready to burn for justice, truth, and beauty.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

It's that time again. Hooo Rayyyy

Well, well, a movement and from the unlikest of places, the high school football teams of America, whatever are they learning on the internet these days?They sure as hell are not learning independent thinking in the classrooms!
We should be proud of all of them!

Does "Take a Knee" have a religious context that I'm not aware of? I know it's being used here in the football sense - but your reaction and baruch's reaction makes me realize I must be missing something.

From an email from VoteVets.org Sat. 09-03-16:

Much of the pushback against Colin Kaepernick's protest against racial injustice in the United States has come under the guise of disrespect for veterans.

So before Thursday's night game, Kaepernick consulted with a former Green Beret, and decided to take a knee instead of sitting during the National Anthem. He said, "we came up with taking a knee because there are issues that still need to be addressed and there was also a way to show more respect for the men and women that fight for this country."

The anthem is being drummed into Americans at sporting events to foist 'militarism' into minds of people. Wars of aggression are tolerated as we browbeat audiences with God Bless America and the Star Spangled Banner. Black and White lives matter but so do brown and foreign lives. End the Empire with this movement. Hooray for a QB who started this.

Colin Kaepernick' refusal to stand up for the Star Spangled Banner could be those "single sparks that start a prairie fire"*. Already it's catching on at the college and high school level. What needs to happen now is for this innocent & nonviolent act of rebellion to capture the imagination of the public. Once this happens the long sought and talked about "conversation" can begin. What irony, too, that a star in America's most violent major sport should be the one to put out the call for what hopefully will turn out to be the populist movement for justice and equality.that so many of us have been waiting for.

*Mao Tse-Tung

Remember footballer Tim Tebow kneeling to "give God the glory" after making a good play? It got to the point of people being praised for "doing a Tebow," and also quite a lot of satire. And now he's playing baseball. At least he's starting in the minors.

truth. as a nebraskan, I can tell you those two young brothers at Lincoln SE had nads the size of a grain elevator to do that. the only pressure I can think of is the pressure to conform. And that is enormous.

It is useful to remember that before the Pearl Harbor attack that vaulted the US into WWII, the national anthem was not played before any sporting event. Not baseball, football, basketball...none of them. After the end of WWII the custom was kept around and has thus always been assumed to have always been a part of sporting contests.

Thanks for the info.

Kind of interesting that our national anthem is based on a racist and imperialist poem sung to the tune of an English drinking song about a gentleman's club.

The verses that aren't sung at sporting events like

"Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'"

are Americana classics.

Nor is this verse likely to be sung with the lump in the throat:
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave

Yep - Francis Scott Key's verse to castigate the former slaves that had freed themselves to fight with the British is another classic. The idea that these are part of our national anthem is just disgusting.

Growing up in California and never seeing the lyrics in print, I thought that it started out JOSE CAN YOU SEE and was celebrating battles in the Mexican Murkin War.