Home | About | Donate

Higher Ed for Bernie

Higher Ed for Bernie

Adolph Reed Jr., Heather Gautney

The proposal by U.S. senator and presidential candidate Bernie Sanders for free public higher education has spurred a new initiative called 'Higher Ed for Bernie' that looks to operate as a kind of movement wing of his campaign, focused on free higher education.

Bernie seems to be taking on the possible and leaving the impossible for later.

Very astute and deserves repeating:

"Three decades of politicians from both parties have been too willing, even eager, to subordinate the aspirations, security, and opportunities of the American people on the altar of the billionaire class’s whims and greed. The assaults on public higher education stem from the same sources as attacks on public K-12 education, on the U.S. Postal Service and other public services, the same sources that created the abomination of a health care system dominated by predatory insurance and pharmaceutical industries, and the obscenity of a ballooning, increasingly privatized carceral state."

Free tuition at public colleges would be very helpful for many struggling families and students. However, I don't think it fully addresses the student debt problem. Much of this debt is being run up by students enrolled in for-profit colleges and universities, many which seem to graduate few students. Some of these colleges seem to be just scams to make money for investors. Another large source of debt is run up by students who attend private non-profit colleges and universities. About a third of all college students attend private schools. Some of these schools provide the best undergraduate education in the US and although they often give generous grants to students, many students still have to borrow. I don't know how this situation compares to other countries but this seems to be the situation in the US.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Tell me again about how, although you attack Sanders in every thread he's in, you don't hate Sanders.

Keeps getting more difficult to believe you.

Hey, aligatorhardt, you must've missed the last paragraph of the article, where it says "Bernie Sanders is the only candidate seeking the nomination from either party" (my emphasis). As in, there are TWO parties only (like in The Blues Brothers, where the bar has "both kinds of music; country and western". For the purposes of this article, Green Party apparently does not exist.

Makes me queasy to see Adolph Reed's name associated with such a statement...

And why do you have such an aversion to facts? Strange definition of "hater" - one who points out the facts ....

You cherry pick facts to present Sanders as a war-monger.

Sanders isn't a warmonger/

Hillary and the whole Republican crew are warmongers.

But you never mention that.

'Cause you hate Sanders.

Gosh, you Sanders haters get awfully prickly when you're called on it.

You could have just said, "I know you are but what am I."

Right.

Sanders doesn't want U.S. troops fighting in Syria and you want to paint that as warmongering.

For the umpteenth time.

As for your nonsense about privatizing schools: "He has not had much to say recently on the hot-button issues of school choice, Common Core curriculum standards, charter schools or vouchers, but over the years he has decried a move toward “privatizing” education. Before his election to the Senate in 2006, he served as Vermont’s lone Congressman and voted against voucher programs and for No Child Left Behind. "

Debating you would be like debating a recording that endlessly repeats.

Link?