Home | About | Donate

Highly Recommended Books for 2019 Summer Reading

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/02/highly-recommended-books-2019-summer-reading

4 Likes

Thank you, Ralph. I look forward to your recommended reading list every year. It never
disappoints.

2 Likes

Wow, what a great list. Thanks very much.

2 Likes

Thanks Ralph for the recommendations and insights! You encapsulate things really well.

2 Likes

Another book that is relevant to our times is Escape From Freedom, by Erich Fromm (1941). Fromm states giving up your freedom is easier than fighting for it. To be told what to do and how to do it, brainwashing indeed. Sound familiar? Peace

I really have to disagree that either Midnight in Chernobyl or the HBO series Chernobyl are anti-nuclear power. Quite the contrary in both cases. This is a (willful?) misreading of both. I highly recommend both the book and the series for sure, but both acknowledge the need for nuclear power as a bridge energy source until solar, wind and other newer low carbon emission technologies can fill the gap. I was actually LESS concerned about nuclear power after reading and watching the excellent book and series. The more you know!