Home | About | Donate

Hillary Clinton, Stalwart Friend of World’s Worst Despots, Attacks Sanders’ Latin American Activism

Hillary Clinton, Stalwart Friend of World’s Worst Despots, Attacks Sanders’ Latin American Activism

Glenn Greenwald

At Wednesday night’s Democratic debate, Hillary Clinton attacked Bernie Sanders for praising Fidel Castro in the 1980s, as well for standing with Central Americans governments and rebel groups targeted by Ronald Reagan’s brutal covert wars.

The problem is that after the rescinding of The Fairness Doctrine, media outfits could put forth a particular narrative without offering any counter-balancing viewpoints.

And since the sycophantic, corporate media acts as the propagandizing arm of an armed and dangerous Empire, it allots specific narratives that serve its purpose. Mrs. Clinton, as a card-carrying member of the MIC and one of its most efficient mouthpieces (always in support of new wars and the spread of carnage) is all too willing to push those false narratives that are necessary to her cause.

And since media no longer acts as watchdog on Power or a veritable Truth apparatus, it allows the lies that get told often to go unchallenged. I find that the greater sin in all of this.

I watched the debate on TV, but I also had TYT on my computer. The four YTs clapped, jumped out of their seats when Bernie "scored." To my chagrin the four of them remained dour faced and didn't move so much as an inch when the subject of Latin America and Cuba came up. Instead of congratulating Bernie on his opposition through the years to Latin American dictators and U. S. policy supporting such, they thought it was his weakest point in the debate, and one of them went so far as to say Bernie was wrong about the merits of the Cuban health care system.

Good work Bernie, principle is more important than wooing Batista loving Floridians.

“You know,” said the former Secretary of State, “if the values are that you oppress people, you disappear people, imprison people or even kill people for expressing their opinions, for expressing freedom of speech, that is not the kind of revolution of values that I ever want to see anywhere.”

When she said that, I hoped that Bernie's response would be along the lines of: "Are you talking about Ferguson now?"

Also hardly a dictator, but thrice elected by a huge margin, plus surviving a coup attempt by actual would-be dictators due to immense mass popular mobilizations. Carter calls Venezuelan elections the best-run elections in the world.

Better yet "Are you talking about the current Honduran government you so strongly support?"

The more I hear about Bernie's past that he supported Castro and other "communists" like the Sandinista's among others, the more I will support him financially. I was not aware that Bernie was that courageous in the past. I was not around in 1963, but Bernie looks to me, like the best candidate for POTUS since JFK.

I'd like to have a dollar for every time she starts a sentence with " You Know ".
It's as bad as " I have a plan ".
While I would never vote for Trump if Hillary steals the nomination from Sanders, I must admit I would get a little satisfaction from seeing Hillary lose in a landslide to Trump.
Without Bernie in the general election, Stein will get my vote.

" Just in case she (HRC) steals the nomination."
We know HRC will steal it, if she can. Lets hope that she is indicted before that happens.

The NY Times pretending the Contras are back and legit now, no mention of the crimes of the 1980s:

How depressing. I just have to say that if this woman is elected president of my county I'll be expatriating as soon as possible. I've had quite enough.

I got tricked into voting for John Kerry in 2004 because I read a transcript of his 1971 winter soldier testimony. People change.

In the 1980s I was in several civil disobedience actions fighting Reagan's wars against the Contras and Nicaragua. I cannot believe that Hillary could now be condemning us for these acts that we considered patriotic even though we faced imprisonment and loss of our jobs. If Hillary wins the nomination, I will write in Bernie Sanders but there is no way now that I would ever consider voting for Hillary. Would almost rather see Trump get in. At least we would get the president we deserve.

Too blunt for what? Not too blunt for me, since I agree with you. Probably too blunt for winning the hearts and minds of embarrassing morons. Seems about average bluntness for casual Internet discourse.

I'm female by the way, so I'm allowed to despise Hillary Clinton without being accused of sexism. There is no part of me that's even a little bit sorry for not voting for her because she could be the first uterine-American president.

Just regarding a "side issue" in this discussion -- that of "human rights:" Who wants to define this? According to the UN's UDHR, food and shelter are fundamental human rights -- even for the jobless poor. America disagrees. When was the last time you heard liberals call for restoring basic human rights for our poor? Right. Now take a look at our prisons. We now have a prison system that makes the old Soviet gulag look puny in comparison, we know that many are falsely convicted, and we know that human rights abuses aren't unusual.

Face it, Americans today just aren't into human rights.

Succinct, and I share these sentiments.

She is a gross hypocrite and completely untrustworthy. There is so much blood on the streets of various nations, that she is at least in part, responsible for, that it is beyond belief.

Umm, hate to bring it up, but anyone know the odds in Vegas of Bernie being Wellstoned now that HRC is unraveling?

De acuerdo, feel the Bern!

You might try New Zealand. My nephew moved there right after the Iraq war invasion and says it is one of the best moves he ever made. I have never been there but if Bernie gets thrown under the bus by HRC or is assassinated, I have my passport ready.