Home | About | Donate

Hiroshima and Me: A Duck-and-Cover Story

Hiroshima and Me: A Duck-and-Cover Story

Tom Engelhardt

Let me tell you a little story about Hiroshima and me:

Every student has their duck-and-cover memory. Maybe some even saved the poster with the final instructions, " put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye ". Gallows humor for hippies, they were sometimes labeled.
The Cuban Missile Crisis was traumatizing for some children, extremely so, in rare cases. I’ll always remember a conversation I overheard among our mayor and city councilmen about this incident of extreme brinksmanship. ( Our town was within the 180 mile radius of the SAC base. ) They were discussing what type of conflict would happen among those citizens with bomb shelters and those without. The mayor said rather bluntly, " within a week or two they’ll be killing other, that’s what. " His remark was painfully accurate, sadly.
At 10-12 years of age, some of my buddies and myself, became what would later be labeled the peacenik crowd. Americans love labels and political shorthand ( the short version ).
So it goes…

2 Likes

A reason for the spread of nuclear weapons, especially to Russia and China, is that these nations endured extreme loss of life during famines in the centuries before 1945. That is essentially, where the weird concept of “survivability” comes from. The old saw, “duck and cover”, would generally get anyone in close range, incinerated. Russia and China, very large, mostly empty, countries, may actually have some scattered survivors. But the U.S. and most of North America would be an ash pit.It is a bit prophetic, though, that the Russian Military’s Nuclear sector has a motto - After Us, Silence.

2 Likes

I watched a documentary on Netflix about Hiroshima & Nagasaki. It talked about how much the people suffered. Japan surrendered before the 1st bomb was dropped. It is a lie that the US had to drop the bombs to end the war. Every war before WWII ended without the use of nuclear weapons. If the USA invented the A-Bomb during the Spanish American War, it would have dropped A-Bombs on Seville & Barcelona & would say it was necessary because Spain refused to surrender.

Two weeks ago I visited the National Peace and Justice Memorial in Montgomery Alabama. Upon leaving we were speechless. Anyone visiting and seeing the horror of the hate which remains imbedded in our society today can get a glimmer of the beings who create and control weapons which annihilate an entire country.
Humans are indeed the most stupid of animals.

that guote was accurate but I wasn’t ( never hurry never worry ) as I left out the word each, before the word other. Sorry.

I was a little kid fifty miles from Cuba, and with one full wall of windows in the classrooms, I thought it was really, really dumb to have us practice duck and cover for a nuclear bomb attack. To protect from broken glass maybe?