Home | About | Donate

His Soul Wrapped in a Confederate Flag

His Soul Wrapped in a Confederate Flag

Robert C. Koehler

At the bond hearing, grieving loved ones forgave Dylann Roof. This was reported as news, but it was so much more than that. It was the light embracing the darkness.

And white America absorbed this forgiveness through the eyes of the 21-year-old terrorist, who watched the proceedings on a video screen from his jail cell. Whatever he heard and felt is unknown, but beyond him, in the world he believed he was saving, something gave. The solidarity of whiteness — the quiet assumption of white supremacy — shuddered ever so slightly.

The flag, the flag . . .

Flags, whether Confederate or American, seem to cause a lot of trouble.

It's not just the Confederate flag which is a problem.
Maybe the Confederate flag is actually the smaller problem.
I'm not defending it; I think it should go. Definitely.
But allegiance to ANY rag on a pole, no matter what its logo might be, is crazy all by itself.

Amen! Way too much allegiance to the flag, but not to the
ideals of the country for which it stands.

"But allegiance to ANY rag on a pole, no matter what its logo might be, is crazy all by itself."

Yes, and as George Carlin was wont to say, "symbols are for the symbol minded." "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." (attribution is to several people) Wal-Mart is just trying to preserve its branding, so let's not read anything noble into their decision.

King John had no ideals when he signed the Magna carta.

The only ideals the founding fathers had was self enrichment and that of white privilege.

Now Thomas Paine had ideals but he was hounded out of the country by those in power.

The confederate flag should be removed from all state buildings, but not from any stores or private business. It's a matter of free speech, and if we don't protect free speech for ALL AMERICANS, it won't be there when we want our particular flag flown. The state should NEVER fly the flag, but all Americans have the right to have whatever symbol they want in their private lives. The true test of free speech is the defense of it, even when it makes you want to scream the opposite at the top of your lungs. One of my favorite movies scenes regarding free speech was from "American President."
"America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it
bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free
speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood
boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs
that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You
want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of
your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its
citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me
that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can
stand up and sing about the "land of the free".

It doesn't matter how you "see it". It is a symbol that unifies racism and racists.

Your comment reminds me of what one of my good ol' boy Florida neighbors said to me, - "It wouldn't bother me if somebody called me a nigger, why should it bother anyone else?"

I do see it as a racist symbol. That's why the state has no business flying the confederate flag. But CITIZENS are guaranteed the right to free speech, and when you try and squelch it, it just gets more radical because you add the element of denying them their right to free speech. I'm a progressive who believes 9-11 was an inside job. There are PLENTY of people out there who believe I shouldn't be able to say anything like that because it's a sacrilege to "dishonor" Amerika by suggesting their signature event was staged by our criminal government to turn us into the police state we have today. If I want my own "offensive" speech protected, I have the responsibility to work at protecting ALL speech, no matter how much it offends me. And believe me, it offends me, but getting it out in the open brings up discussion. Driving it underground doesn't make it disappear. Disallowing free speech of any kind is a slippery slope.

Your "good ol' boy" neighbors are ignorant.