Home | About | Donate

'Historic' Alaska Ruling Could Provide Roadmap to Defeating Citizens United

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/05/historic-alaska-ruling-could-provide-roadmap-defeating-citizens-united

1 Like

The disease is the Republican Party.

4 Likes

It’s both parties, the GOP is just a subsidiary of corporate America, whereas the democrats were trying to have it both ways and “dance with the ones that brought them”…

Frankly, the founders never had this “party” thing in mind.

18 Likes

Citizens United was decided in 2010, not 2012.

The five Regressives on the SCOTUS are partisan hacks who would never bite the corporate hand that feeds them.

9 Likes

This is a state court decision that will be overturned by the SCOTUS. Citizens United v FEC was handed down on Jan 21, 2010. SpeechNow.org v FEC, which paved the way for Super PACs was handed down on Mar 26, 2010 by the circuit court of DC. Siince that later decision was not appealed to the SCOTUS, it holds the potential to be overturned via another case that does get there. Don’t hold your breath so long as the W and #45* befuddled and corrupt boys are on the bench.

If you want to overturn the absurd and obscene decisions by the SCOTUS, we will have to get a serious constitutional amendment, HJ Res 48 being the only one currently being proposed, capable of cleaning up their mess.

8 Likes

there is and has been infection in the Democrat Party also. We can’t ignore that and expect to fix this

9 Likes

Oh joy! Oh joy! The right-wing subpreme (NOT a misspelling) court gets to rule.
Golly Gee Willikers (As Warren might say) I wonder how they will rule since they O.K.'ed it the first time around.

7 Likes

Where ever it goes in the courts it isn’t going to get in the way of Biden’s Super Pac - Unite the Country. Don’t you love the name? It makes sense when one realizes that Biden is of the opinion that the country is the oligarchy.

4 Likes

“… unlimited donations have flown into independent groups because of incorrect interpretations by lower courts and state elections agencies.”

This bogus rhetoric - “incorrect interpretations” - speaking as if interpretation of the law has some concrete basis, other than politics. They teach that crap in law school, so as to elide the power struggles going on in the background.

2 Likes

Right you are Zora. I was temporarily blinded by the current shitshow on TV media.

3 Likes

Exactly. The people in that “other world” have no clue what the real world looks like and struggles through; nor, probably do they care.

It’s also like “them” thinking the stock market is the economy! Also, since inflation doesn’t even touch them, they are telling us that it doesn’t exist! Move over, Alice, I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole with you>>>>>

3 Likes

An amendment to end “lifetime appointments” would be nice too.

7 Likes

Lessig is delusional if he thinks the US Supreme Court will rule in his favor.

1 Like

everyone here knows who the 5 conservatives on the supreme court work for. why would they turn on their bosses?

1 Like

Actually… the system…is infected with CORPORATE CAPITALISM. sssooo …and. Capitalism in ge eral… is an OUT DATED economic tool… considering IT has killed the planet. I mean. …we knew this with the limits to growth study in '72.

2 Likes

Exactly, but good luck getting that through even a Democrat dominated Congress short of threatening an Article V convention. In fact a patent red herring called the “Democracy for All” amendment, which is designed to do nothing except pre-empt the “We The People” amendment, is currently drawing far more support not only from Congress but from a large number of non-profits who shamelessly tell their hapless donors they’re out to “restore” democracy by overturning Citizen’s United. I will not name names here because their BS speaks for itself, see e.g. https://medium.com/@tfhavel_26671/a-tale-of-two-proposed-amendments-to-the-united-states-constitution-31ec7b0d1f1b

3 Likes

PonyBoy, Republicans are corporate wolves in wolves’ clothing. Democrats are corporate wolves in sheep’s clothing. There is no difference in the corruption in the parties except for candidates like Bernie Sanders, who are not bought and sold by corporations.

6 Likes

Proud to be an ALASKAN! We can work to get big oil money out of Alaska and use part of the Permanent Fund to give Alaskans no-interest loans to invest in industrial hemp farms around the state. The record giant cabbage weighed in at 138 pounds in 2017, so if that’s any indication of what kind of growing Alaskans can do, it would create an industrial hemp industry that could cleanly and sustainably grow raw material all summer, which could be manufactured in hempcrete buildings all winter. We could be a leader in the hemp industry and replace highly damaging petroleum, cotton, and logging industries. Anything those raw materials can do, industrial hemp can do better and more sustainably. Hemp can help save the planet in a REALLY BIG WAY! HEMP, HEMP, HOORAY!!!

3 Likes

As I responded to Zora above, the Duopoly is responsible for the corruption in our politics.

Also, they collude with each other to prevent any third party from emerging to challenge them.

4 Likes

I own a large amount of land in Alaska, and even though to me, a pipe dream! Would love to have a hemp farm and be part of the push to get big oil money out of Alaskan politics, probably the reddest State in the union where most of the politicians are owned like just another barrel of crude, oil.

2 Likes