Home | About | Donate

History Lesson for Democrats: Think Winning Elections, Not Impeaching Trump

History Lesson for Democrats: Think Winning Elections, Not Impeaching Trump

Bill Blum
On a steamy day in July 1787, in the midst of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, the 55 state delegates who would come to be known as the Founding Fathers turned their attention to the issue of presidential impeachment.

Many weighed in on the subject, both pro and con, but none more memorably than Benjamin Franklin, who argued that the new nation’s charter should include a means for peaceably ousting a president who had “rendered

To vote Democrat you are a fool. To vote Republican you are insane.

Nobody is impeaching anybody. You can let go that pipe dream right now.

Recall that Nixon’s inner circle including VP Agnew was taken out that enabled putting Nixon in the corner they needed to put him in to get him to bail or be impeached.

Trump’s inner circle continues to be as intact as it was on 1/20/17 and our Trump problem pales in comparison to our money in politics problem.

Impeaching Trump will therefore create more problems than it will solve, starting with Pence being a lesser but more effective evil. Until we solve our money in politics problem each POTUS will be worse than his or her predecessor.

It’s by no means certain that the Democrats will be up to the challenge after blowing the last election so epically.

First, Hillary did get more votes. Your anti-democratic electoral college enabled Trump to win with a 3 million fewer votes. Second, can we please blame the American people and not the Democrats for Hillary’s loss. Adults do get to vote, correct? He was a well known philanderer, liar, and megalomaniac before November 2016, right? Heartland Americans believed the egocentric billionaire who called Obama a Musilm and pilloried Hispanics and African Americans was the best choice.

At some point as a young child, I thought my parents encouraged me to take responsibility for my actions. America, you voted. You had enough information.

Hillary didn’t lose. Americans lost.

The Democrats are following this advice. Talk of impeachment will just stir up even more anger in Republicans and get them out to the polls to keep Democrats out of office.

Most loyal Republicans voted for Trump but he also scammed a lot of working class swing voters who bought his lie that he cared about the working class and they helped swing Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. The lesson of the election is that while lying may be unethical it can win elections. Therefore expect more lies from the Republicans in 2020. Their willingness to lie in elections is their main advantage (just ask swift-boated John Kerry).

Not to worry Bill. Trump is all the Dems have going for them. And then there is Pence-in-Waiting. The religio-fascist is enough to scare anybody into a bit of sanity.

That said, the Dems will find all kinds of ways to lose to the less effective evil - the Rethug wing of the capitalist Duopoly. Because that is their role in the imperial capitalist system and the Kabuki Kongress Kaos Theatre of (s)elections in the most powerful and murderous empire in the history of humanity: USA INC.

Meanwhile “progressives” in the Dem wing of the Duopoly will continue to issue mealy-mouthed calls for investigations, hearings, etc. to prove that they have some sort of relevance. When, in fact, their only purpose is to suck off energy, resources, attention and focus from real democratic movement and electoral organizing - which is their actual role in the KKK Theatre of Mass Murder and Suffering for 99% of the Human Species.

From my perspective, as bad as Trump is, his impeachment gets us Pence a Bible thumping, war mongering hypocrite! Too bad there is nothing in the Constitution about impeaching the entire US GOVERNMENT!

Plus even if it did happen it would be a Pyrrhic victory that will end up benefiting the deep state at best.

Oh Goddess, how we need another Ben Franklin now!

Yes! “Don’t vote for that guy” is not a platform. That’s the one that was used last time. We need a new one like “Raise Minimum Wage”. Attach the minimum wage to inflation so it automatically goes up like SS! OR NO “WAR ANY MORE”.

So I am a fool because I want to stop right wing goons appointed by Trump from controlling the judiciary. Do you know what Trump’s judges have planned in the future? I promise it’s not going to be favorable to single payer or banning fracking.

I don’t agree with the duopolists/Kabukists but they seem very committed not to vote for a major party. Like you I think it is imperative to vote for Democrats to have some power center that can counter Trump and the Republican Party which now seems okay with white nationalism, fascism, and the extreme economic libertarian view of the Koch brothers.

Well said, NorthernBob!

History lesson for Bill Blum: Think of 2008 when the Democrats had the trifecta of power and managed to do…nothing

Speaking of elections, I was hopeful for this guy (D.K.) to win the democratic primary for the governor of OHIO, but alas, he didn’t make it:

Really sad that even Elizabeth Warren wouldn’t support him…

Nothing except pass the largest public investment in renewable energy in American history, the largest expansion of public healthcare in five decades, and re-regulate Wall Street.

The most important question this midterm has got to be “do you take special interest money?”. If we could make this a single issue election on the subject of election reform we could regain control of what is supposed to be our republic. Without true election reform our future will be nothing but politics as usual.

Our country’s governance is dysfunctional. The reason for the dysfunction and the cure are staring us directly in the face. The problem is too much money in politics and the cure is to change Congress. Only we voters can affect the needed change and that is by getting rid of any congressmen or candidate that takes special interest money.

The fundamental problems we have as a community are not being addressed. We have a Congress that simply does not have our best interests at heart in their legislative actions. Our governing system is one of legislation for sale. Only 6 of the 535 members of Congress do not take special interest money. We have had at least four decades of congressional candidates seeking special interest money, for TV ads, and sellings their souls to get it. The end result is 529 legislators doing the bidding of the 1% and the corporate and financial industries, while ignoring the needs and wants of the American People.

In most western democracies the taking of special interest money (also called bribery) by those in or seeking office lands them in jail. Here our Congress, backed by a politicized Supreme Court, has not only made the practise legal but has opened control of our electoral system to essentially unlimited amounts of money. This allows those who exercise their political influence thru our elected officials to control governmental processes in perpetuity. Money buys votes!

As sick,frustrating and pervasive as the present rigged system is; it has an Achilles heel. That is our elected representatives must stand for reelection every 2 or 6 years. If we judged them on whether or not they take special interest money and favor a complete rewrite of election law we would have a Congress with a completely different set of values. This should be the overriding criterion for our votes in this year’s midterm election. It is a simple straight forward question: “do you take special interest money”?

Reelection rates for Congressional incumbents is historically in the 90+% range despite their approval ratings being below 60% and currently around 17%. We voters need to somehow get past this disconnect. Any Congressman or candidate that takes special interest money is simply not worthy of our votes. We need to act accordingly. We need a movement to: CHANGE CONGRESS.

Special interests have fractured our society. We cannot have a viable social contract unless we have a governance that functions for us rather than people that have more than they can possibly use and yet want more to the detriment of the vast majority.

Only the action of us voters will drain the swamp!

So, what’s wrong with us?

Well, Trump was gonna buck the system; he spoke out against quagmires. I read one writer that predicted he’d be led around on that score like a bull with a ring in its nose. I think the writer was a “she,” and she turned out to be right. Ok, who’s leading him around? Oil? Defense interests? Well, one Open Democracy share explained that…they’re both entertwined as one. I know, I’m leaving out hedge funds and the global plutocratic hegemony…not to mention the “shadow economy” where players play at, among other things, hacking away billions of bucks. Anyway, as you’re right to point out…yes, the “paper economy” [Michael Hudson] is in the running, yet it seems there must be some vestige[s] of production. The last ones in the west are defense and oil. Remember, in this moment we are sort of talking about what interests we allow…that ended up getting Trump to toe the line. [Our unawareness of these phenomena are what is wrong with us?]

“How the arms trade is used to secure access to oil” https://theconversation.com/how-the-arms-trade-is-used-to-secure-access-to-oil-95089

But why do we take it? What’s wrong with us? Well, Orwell talked about Prolefeed art/entertainment. I would say there are also Prolefeed toys…as John Heider put it “extraordinary persons, places, and things.” Strong distractions. But I could guess we can only become obsessive about the toys when any truth about our decline must be jettisoned out of mind…so maybe truth-sacrifice is at the root of the whole thing?

I saw the decline was gone over well today [really like a truth-sacrifice orgy?] here…
“Michelle Wolf Didn’t Even Get Started” https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/05/07/michelle-wolf-didnt-even-get-started

We consciously feel the toys are truly driving us, but the fact of the matter is what we really want is some reliable motive to desire anything at all …?. So, we focus on the toys…because, if we contemplated the decline, we would dwell on conjecture like…because we have no remedies we have no being. If we had being, surely remedies would issue forth from the being.

on sacrifice http://www.timesquotidian.com/2018/01/08/the-facebook-supremacy-part-1/