I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around
Even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the big one
And see what happens

—Randy Newman, “Political Science,” 1972

Kuttner’s descent into fluff has been a dissappointment.
Obviously he is making someone happy.
Hopefully not common dreams for too much longer

I have said in the age of Trump that if he had the personality and intelligence of Hitler we would be in a lot worse shape than we are, not that we aren’t going downhill pretty fast with his incompetency.

Impeachment is not going to happen lol. Anyone who thinks so needs to put down the pipe and take off the “wishful thinking” glasses. And all those in the “Resistance” who are pinning all of their hopes on Mueller dropping some huge bomb that will somehow, miraculously, make most Americans - including Rethugs and Trump-cultists - suddenly turn against their Mango Mussolini, need to reduce their monthly pot expenditure by a large percentage. The reality is that the institutions of our “democracy” (such as it was) that were in place to defend against just this sort of demagoguery and authoritarianism and corruption, are broken. One single party has control of all levers of government, and that party doesn’t give a good God damn about the Constitution, the rule of law, democracy, or anything else other than their own grip on power. And more than 40% of Americans think that is just fine and dandy. (and in a reversed scenario, the Other Half of the Duopoly would also be just fine if it were a Democrat dictator-wanna-be in power and Democrats in control of all 3 branches of government. Democrat Americans would be defending their dictator President with nary a murmur or protest, and shutting down calls for his impeachment strenuously. Hypocrites!)

The Founders never envisioned this scenario. In their day they assumed that a large majority of Americans would never kowtow to a tyrannical dictator wanna-be, as at the time they were living in a land filled with people sick and tired of a tyrannical dictator pressing his boot on their necks. And the only tribalistic partisianship they knew was patriotic Americans vs. monarchist British loyalists. It never occurred to them that a day could come when Americans would be so beholden and loyal to a particular political party and its leader that they would put that loyalty over and above loyalty to their own nation and its Constitution.

There will be NO impeachment, even if the Dims take control in the fall. Mark my words.

Yes. Obama prosecuted more whistleblowers than any of his predecessors (but not one single bankster!), failed to shut down Guantanamo as he had promised, increased the US’s worldwide military footprint, and coordinated the destruction of Occupy Wall Street, among his many dubious accomplishments, and still he’s held in high regard by many. This tribalism may be an artifact of having just two officially sanctioned political parties.

patricia_scully:

I agree. Andrew Levine on Counterpunch writes that if Trump’s policies have been less harmful than we imagined it is only because they reflect “malevolence tempered by incompetence.”

Thank you. He also deported more people than any other President in US history (although I’m sure Trump will surpass that record). But you ask any of the “resistance” Dems about any of these points…crickets. Or “yeah, well, nobody’s perfect. He’s still way better than Trump.” Which is the same exact lemming bot excuse offered up by the right in defense of Trump, or W., etc. “He’s not perfect, he’s rough around the edges, but he’s better than Hillary.”

The sad part is the Dim bots don’t see the hypocrisy in their own worship of Obama (or Hillary, etc.).