Home | About | Donate

Holy Infant So Tender and Mild

Holy Infant So Tender and Mild

The body of Jakelin Ameí Rosmery Caal Maquin, who died in Border Patrol custody, has been returned to Guatemala, but grief, rage, haunting questions and, in this season, a deep sense of dissonance remain. "If you aren’t capable of manufacturing the slightest bit of compassion for the hurting and the hungry and the terrified and the desperate right now," asks John Pavlovitz of his fellow Christians, "what on earth are you singing for?"

This takes me back about 68 years when my family made a trip through the SW. We stopped to visit some of our relatives in Salt lake City. We toured some of the buildings, etc., in (I believe it is called) Temple Square. We were told we couldn’t enter the temple as we were not Mormons, nor were we wearing our long underwear. They did have a lot of brochures with photos of the Temple’s interior. Apparently, each Temple in every city has a room reserved for Christ when he appears again. The photos were beautiful. Gold everywhere, silk sheets on the bed, etc.
*I asked our guide, “These rooms are obviously for a successful businessman in a three piece suit. What happens if Christ comes as an out-of-work carpenter again? Do they send him back until he gets it right?”
*The guide carefully looked around, then said, “That’s about the size of it.”
*People are people, not stereotypes. Every human deserves to be treated as a human, regardless of race, creed, national origin or wealth, (or the lack thereof). Jakelin Ameí Rosmery Caal Maquin, seven years, is dead of neglect, of not being important enough to care for, until she died.
*Andrew Johnson, a champion high school wrestler was humiliated and stripped of his identity, his dreadlocks, by a racist referee. (He won the match, anyway, but the glory was gone)
*An eight-year-old Guatemalan boy died in the custody of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) shortly after midnight on Christmas Day, the second death of a migrant child detained by the agency this month alone.
God only knows how many Yemeni children, Palestinian children, Iraqi children, Syrian children, Afghan children, Libyan children, and so many more died today, on the celebrated birthday of the Prince of Peace”, unfortunately with so many more to die tomorrow so the uberwealthy can add a bit more to their horde.
*We the People have to dust off the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and read them, loud and clear, in the House, the Senate, the Executive, and especially the “Supreme” Court, which has forgotten what it was formed to do; to make sure that challenged legal decisions agreed with the Constitution of the United States and its ratified amendments, including ratified treaties, etc.
;-})

Modern Christianity has little to do with the teachings of Jesus. It’s clear from the four Gospels included in the Bible that Jesus had zero patience with religious hypocrites, and he felt contempt for rich people. Americans live in a country run by rich hypocritical Christians, murderers who destabilize our neighboring countries and treat the refugees they create as subhuman. Two children have died so far and they shrug their shoulders; after all, we kill a lot more children than that every day bombing Muslim lands. But merry Christmas anyway, minitrue. As I write this it’s December 25, and 11:30 pm. In half an hour it won’t be Christmas anymore, and then maybe I won’t be so mindful of our national leaders and the unspeakable evil they do.

I appreciate your sentiment and outrage but you’ve missed some of the most important messages of the Gospels (not to mention the extracanonical accounts). Jesus is remembered as accepting dinner invitations from Pharisees and inviting himself over to the home of at least one tax collector. He preached love of enemies and compassion for the difficulties wealth makes for a person’s spiritual life. He was human enough to lose patience in the face of injustice, but never dismissed anyone as unlovable.

I would see Jesus celebrating his birthday by finagling his way into the White House , maybe with a big bucket of KFC, and starting with compassion for poor djt having to spend Christmas alone in that not-tacky-enough mansion. Maybe they’d talk about how he learned the money was to be made housing rich people, not as the slum lord his dad was. He’d work to get the guy laughing, knowing how much his soul needs that. But he would get to djt’s compassion for others by building up his own understanding that he is inherently lovable and that the dignity of others, even those immigrant children, is grounded in his own dignity as a human being. It might take more than one session. Maybe Barron would help when he got back from Florida.

I understand from the worlds religions and from Buddhism that I am to be compassionate even towards those that are evil. I am having a very hard time doing this when it is all of us. “They” didn’t do this, we did. It is a global problem. There is always “the other” instead of us, everyone included. All of our shadows are the same color, we all must feel shame for the pain we cause. Isn’t it a pity? Asked George.