Home | About | Donate

Hong Kong Protesters and Militant Chinese Workers Point the Way to a New Kind of Internationalism

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/30/hong-kong-protesters-and-militant-chinese-workers-point-way-new-kind

1 Like

How amazing this world change is. American and Chinese workers have very much in common now. It is also amazing that—no matter the government type or style----We the Workers seem be sharing the same boat…and perfectly understanding that “absolute power corrupts absolutely!”
We workers do have more in common with each other than just sharing the same planet! I like the concept of this new internationalism----. I am sure that a science person could come up with a wonderful science term for humanity binding together and creating a new reality. : )

1 Like

Some have called it “communism.”

The Industrial Workers of the World called it “one big union.”

Hi GuildF312S:
LOL, I was looking for sometime more at the quantum level—that kind of science term, When people around the world can work together , even without communicating----there must be a quantum word for that! YOU know, how things can communicate ,billions of miles away from each other— and have the same response, I know there’s a term but I don’t know what it is…Is it quantum entanglement? Things can communicate at a large distance— so what’s happening in Hong Kong is happening in America too- Help me science people!!!

1 Like

Like Mr. Lindorff’s opinion piece last week, Ms. Chen’s editorializing about events in Hongkong makes two omissions and a misreading of a past event in China. Most of the western press coverage have similarly made these three, imho, important contexts somewhat invisible. The comments after articles reflect people’s relative unawareness of these contexts, and if this is a deliberate move by China bashers in the MSM, then their tactic is working—the public is once again being misinformed.

The first omission is Ms. Chen’s non-mention of the murder of a pregnant HK woman. The main suspect is the boyfirend, Chan Tong-kai, who went with the girlfriend to Taiwan, who fled back to HK. HK’s current extradition laws lacks the necessary provisions that would make it possible to have Mr. Chan to be tried in Taiwan for the murder. It was reported that the girl’s family made a request to Madam Lam to make it possible to seek justice for the girl’s murder, and that Madam Lam was touched by the family’s request, and thus she made an effort to have amendments made to the extradition law. Ms. Chen opines that the changes to the law are quite draconian and HK people are afraid that it signifies a slippery slope to “more” repression from the mainland authorities. Actually, Madam Lam’s government was sensitive to such criticisms and made changes to address these concerns. The most significant change is that the law would cover only offenses that are punishable by seven years or more of incarceration.

The second omission is the level of violence that the smaller group of “radical” protesters have been committing. Government buildings have been vandalized quite extensively, and China’s national emblem was physically blemished in ways that angered many Chinese officials. Police have been attacked with poles, stones, chemicals and many (20, 30, ???) have been hospitalized. It is my observation, from the limited footage I’ve seen on CGTN that the police have been quite restrained. I am of the opinion that they can use more force, but decided not to, yet, as the HK police could be cognizant that this heavy-handed tactic is just what the “radical” protesters are attempting to provoke. There have been violence by other HK residents on the “radical” protesters, and I think they might be connected to the Triads gang in HK, who may possibly have business connections. Business is down, shops have closed, there are way less tourists according to reports on CGTN (China Global Television Network—you can watch it online, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube). Yes, of course, it is a China view of events, but then, pictures are pictures.

Finally there is that mention of the Tiananmen 1989 “Massacre.” There are now western media reports that the msm framings of the event were deliberate manipulation to tarnish China’s image in the world stage. Google and you’ll find out. Just as I challenge Mr. Lindorff to produce photos that conclusively illustrate heavy-handed actions by the People’s Liberation Army (btw today is the 97 founding of the PLA, originally known as the Red Army), I challenge Ms. Chen to similarly produce photos that will conclusively prove that there was a “massacre” on TIANANMEN in 1989. There are many pictures of the Tiananmen 1989 event. Besides protesters’ pics, there are photos of burned out troop armored carriers. As far as I know, trucks don’t burn by itself. Someone must set it on fire (there apparently were some reports that were censored and it was about burnt bodies of PLA soldiers). PLA soldiers can’t be that bad to set their own trucks on fire. I am of the opinion that the there were agent provocateurs among the ranks of the Tiananmen protesters who deliberately provoked the PLA soldiers to respond with force. I am afraid the same thing is happening now in Hongkong.

Yes, quantum entanglement is the word you were looking for (or, as a skeptical Albert Einstein once called it, “spooky action at a distance”).

Hi GuildF312S :
Thank you! I knew someone would help, and it was you! : )