Home | About | Donate

Hoping to Transform 'Momentum Into Policy', Thousands Expected to Flood Capitol Hill to Demand Medicare for All

Hoping to Transform 'Momentum Into Policy', Thousands Expected to Flood Capitol Hill to Demand Medicare for All

Julia Conley, staff writer

Ahead of the third annual Women's March this weekend, thousands of Americans are expected to descend on Capitol Hill on Friday for a Medicare for All lobby day organized by progressive campaigners.

The Women's March and the Center for Popular Democracy are among the organizations participating in the push, hoping to convince as many lawmakers as possible to co-sponsor Medicare for All bills in the Senate and House—proposals that represent the majority of American public opinion.

1 Like

The “Tools” of the Corporations, the politicians that continually vote against the public interests, must have it made abundantly clear to them that they will be politically Dead to the electorate, if they vote just one more time to support the Healthcare corporations, instead of for Medicare-For-All.

The People have the power to reign over their government, all We need do, is flex that muscle and exercise that power.

2 Likes

The numbers should be in the MILLIONS.

2 Likes

Rep. Eshoo (D) Calif … we will tackle it when we finish drug pricing reform and protection of the ACA, if we get around to it … Like in ‘never’.

One: Wall Street/Hollywood Democrat drug pricing reform means you will now be able to buy drugs for only eight times the cost as in other countries…instead of ten times.

Two: ACA doesn’t need protection. It needs it’s throat cut.

Three: Medicare for All is not the same thing as Health Care for All.

Four: If there are Congress Democrats that don’t know where to get the money for Health
Care for All, the morons should not be in Congress.

1 Like

Milling around on the Mall with signs and gum bumping will not get It done. Agree, need millions … with yellow vest or color of your choice…

1 Like

Bring what ever Tools you need to make Them afraid!!!

0 Likes

So is Medicare for all the same as Single Payer? If it’s the Medicare I have, don’t bother. Medicare sucks! Not the same as what my parents had.

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking!

0 Likes

No, it is Expanded, Improved Medicare For All: No-copays, no deductibles, tax based on your income with eye and dental included. Otherwise you are right about medicare as it stands.

Here is an email I received today from NNU but it still does not give the text of the bill and that is critical that it is the original HR 676:

BREAKING NEWS – Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal (D-WA) has just officially announced to her colleagues that she will be re-introducing the Medicare for All Act of 2019 in just a few weeks.

Our work to pass Medicare for All in the House now enters into a new exciting phase. Call your Congress Member NOW at (202) 858-1717 and ask her/him to be an original co-sponsor of the new Medicare for All Act of 2019.

The bill will guarantee quality, therapeutic care to every person in the United States. There will be a comprehensive package of benefits, including primary care, hospital and outpatient services, prescription drugs, dental, vision, audiology, women’s reproductive health services, maternity and newborn care, long-term care services and supports, mental health and substance abuse treatment, laboratory and diagnostic services, ambulatory services and more.

Patients will have the complete freedom to choose the doctors, hospitals and other providers they wish to see without worrying about whether a provider is “in network.” There will be no premiums, no co-pays and no deductibles–and no charges whatsoever at the point of service. The bill preserves the ability of veterans to receive their medical benefits and services through the Veterans Administration if they wish, and of Native Americans to receive their medical benefits and services through the Indian Health Service, if they wish.

We are in a historic moment in the movement for Medicare for All. A record number of House candidates ran on Medicare for All in the midterm elections, and we now have record high support among the public.

We need to ensure that the bill has a large number of Congressional cosponsors on the day it is introduced. The number of original co-sponsors will determine how seriously Medicare for All is taken by Congress, the media, and the public, so we need to get to work now.

Call your Representative NOW at (202) 858-1717 and ask them to sign on. Forward this email to friends and family and ask them to call, too.

Together, we can start off strong in 2019 as we fight for Medicare for All. Thanks for being part of this movement.

In Solidarity,
Nurses’ Campaign to Win Medicare for All

From one of the PNHP doctors I am organizing with:

I want to share a few snippets:

From the national director of the labor Campaign for Single Payer, Mark Dudzik:

Jayapal’s staff has been engaging in extensive consultations with a small group of national single payer advocacy groups with a presence on Capital Hill: NNU, Public Citizen, Center for Popular Democracy, Social Security Works, PNHP and my organization, the Labor Campaign for Single Payer. We have all seen, and had an opportunity to comment on, extensive drafts and redrafts of the new bill. Her office has also spent considerable time listening to the concerns of advocates from constituencies that have often been marginalized in Medicare for All policy discussions including the disability community, defenders of women’s reproductive health and LQBTQ rights, critics of racial disparities in healthcare and proponents for rural and underserved communities and for affordable pharmaceuticals. These groups have all made contributions that will result not only in a stronger bill but will also lay the foundations for a broader coalition unified in the fight for healthcare justice. Congresswoman Jayapal has also worked to include key congressional supporters and the Congressional Progressive Caucus in the drafting process. The main reason why she has not released drafts of the bill to the general public is that she is committed to give the current and potential co-sponsors a chance to review it before that occurs and feels that it would be unfair for them to first hear about it in the blogosphere. I have to say that, in my 15 years in DC, I have never seen a more inclusive and consultative bill writing process. In addition, Jayapal is deeply aware of the importance of the social movements who will create the political momentum necessary to win Medicare for All. I can think of no better champion for our cause in the 116th Congress Congress.
All of this takes time and the process has also been disrupted by staffing changes in a number of congressional offices, the necessity of bringing some of the new members up to speed and the government shutdown crisis. It may be two to three weeks before a final bill is ready to be dropped. This means that, in all likelihood, the opportunity to file it as HR 676 will have passed and the new bill will have a new (and higher) number. But, when it is submitted, it will be a bill that Jayapal is confident will be ready for prime time, will incorporate the concerns of key stakeholders and will command substantial support in the new Congress. There are already commitments for hearings in the Rules and Budget Committees and we all are working to demand hearings in the key committees of jurisdiction: Energy and Commerce and Ways and Means. The goal here, from my perspective, is to set the terms of debate over the future of healthcare before it is co-opted and diluted by the various ACA/Public Option/Incrementalist proposals coming from the corporate Democrats so that we can enter the 2020 election cycle with Medicare for All as a litmus test.

From someone who has been particularly outspoken in concerns about changes to HR 676, who was read some of the draft summary of the bill:

If this summary is correct, those of us who don’t like Bernie’s bill but do like HR 676 are going to be happy with the new bill. The only possible exception is the change in the ban on for-profits. HR 676 currently has it, the new bill does not. The new bill will substitute a provision banning inclusion of money in budgets to reward profit. I’m ambivalent about how for-profits are handled, so for me the absence of the ban is not a big deal. As long as profit is not rewarded in budgets, and we can see the day when stockholders will either be bought out or will flee the hospital and nursing home sector, I’m ok.

The important provisions in the “new” HR 676 (cost containment, provider payment, absence of “value-based payment” gimmicks, eligibility, and benefits) look almost exactly like the existing HR 676 and nothing like Bernie’s bill with one exception (a Medicare buy-in for people between the ages of 18 and 55 during a two-year transition period). Pay-for-performance schemes are explicitly banned.
Pramila will release the entire bill for comment some time next week and will hold off introducing the bill until she has received feedback from people who have never seen it.I really hope the bill follows the summary. If that’s the case, then we can say the HMO/ACO- -loophole-no-hospital-budget epidemic that has infected bills in CA, NY, IA, MD and the US Senate has been kept out of the US House of Representatives.

From David McLanahan, a PNHP member in Seattle:

I know Pramila Jayapal well and trust her. I’m in her district & have met with her several times over the past couple of years. I’m glad we are getting closer to the point that all of us can see the final draft. There have been too many conclusions & accusations drawn from people’s suspicions.

Finally, you and everyone else should consider tuning in on Health Over Profit teleconferences and one is coming up.

1 Like

I wonder that also, how do you get 124 co-sponsors for a bill that’s not even released yet? I’m thinking Jayapal’s bill will be a dud, there was no reason to rewrite HR 676, except to water it down.

1 Like