Home | About | Donate

'House Democrats Must Not Delay': Progressives, 2020 Contenders Demand Kavanaugh Impeachment Amid New Sexual Misconduct Accusations

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/16/house-democrats-must-not-delay-progressives-2020-contenders-demand-kavanaugh

1 Like

One would hope that this snarling, underhanded political hack gets his comeuppance for his insulting and stilted confirmation hearing. I hope he does get impeached, we don’t need another overprivileged easterner being handed a lifetime appointment for one of the most powerful positions in the world.

3 Likes

During the confirmation hearings, I asked two Republicans – one fairly far right, one moderate – if they believed Kavanaugh’s denials. Neither of them did.

Nonetheless, they felt that he shouldn’t be held accountable for such highschool/college antics, and that if I ever found myself in the same position, I’d lie too. I asked if they would attack a Democratic SC nominee in the same position, and they admitted they would. At that point, I told them they were full of shit and that their willingness to put a liar on the Supreme Court was just tribal partisanship on their part – and they said, “yeah, pretty much.”

12 Likes

Our Republic has become an open sewer.

8 Likes

Boofin’ barfin’ Brett should never have been confirmed to the appeals bench in the first place, for serial perjuries which were a matter of public record. “Opposition party,” my weary white ass.

8 Likes

Stupid college frat boy behaviour, while obnoxious, shouldn’t be grounds for impeachment. Multiple lies to congress about substantive issues in earlier confirmation hearings should.

2 Likes

I agree. I have had conversations with Republicans that say the same thing. The mentally is very cult of Fox, and Trump.

2 Likes

What does him being an “easterner” have anything to do with it?

3 Likes

Are you clucking SERIOUS??? Are you really calling ATTEMPTED RAPE “stupid frat boy behavior” and implying he should get away with that crime??? Holy shit pal…

2 Likes

Yes, if you don’t know or care what “no” means you should not be serving in our judicial system.
My gut told me early on to throw this guy to the curb. But I don’t get a vote.

1 Like

Any justice appointed by Trump (or any other president) - I’m talking about Supreme and other federal courts - who is found to have lied, violated the laws and constitution - must be brought up for impeachment. It is time for truth and reconciliation in the United States. It is time to check the run away power of imperial presidencies with a newly constituted congress. Get out of the way Pelosi, Shummer and McConnel - a new age has to come and you are in the way.

1 Like

It is as much a matter of perjury in the current time as it is criminal or unacceptable behavior from the past. I think we do need to consider methods of forgiving people for some of their past behaviors and allowing them a role in society but that past behavior may still render them unacceptable for a top leadership position. Unfortunately those most capable of hiding things and being vulnerable to blackmail may rise to the top.

I dearly wish that this would in fact lead to the impeachment of Kavanaugh. But since our political system has demonstrated that Trump can get away unscathed from credible accusations of rape, I see no further hope here.

1 Like

Yes, I mean, its just normal college kid stuff - boys will be boys… /s

Why do I have a feeling Nancy Pelosi will again say impeachment is off the table?

1 Like

My first thought was: why not start from the top and work their way down.

You expressed it succinctly, eloquently and perfectly. Let me add that the sewer exits at the White House.

1 Like

Republican hypocrisy gets to etch another notch in their gun. trump has sicked his goons on investigaters of him and some of his actions.
The response is to investigate the investigators I guess because he doesn’t like the results.

On a different front some people are insisting that the sham FBI investigation into Cavanagh’s acquaintances, needs to be investigated because it was a sham investigation.

Too bad some of our brothers that sit in jails all across the nation never get a second, third, and fourth chance to clear themselves.

2 Likes