Home | About | Donate

House Democrats Urged to Remove 'Insidious Attack' on Social Security Tucked Inside Senate-Passed Coronavirus Bill

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/26/house-democrats-urged-remove-insidious-attack-social-security-tucked-inside-senate

2 Likes

I raise my tumbler full of French Roast in toast to all of the watchdogs such as Social Security Works! Keep sniffing out, clamping down on, and shaking the stuffing out of the rats where you find them!

15 Likes

I don’t expect Pelosi to be leading any charge to Protect SS. She wouldn’t go against the Presumptive.

11 Likes

First things first. Must bail out wall street …then, if Pelosi gets round to it.

3 Likes

And how can we help? Us oldies are an enormously powerful voting block. We need the Gray Panthers again!

9 Likes

Stop voting for establishment dims like Dementia Joe

7 Likes

Every time there is a crisis, the taxpayer and the needy are called on to bail out the banks and the major financial institutions. If you had a real capitalist economy in place, that would not be happening. Capitalists who made risky investments and failed would be wiped out. But the rich and powerful do not want a capitalist system. They want to be able to run the nanny state so when they are in trouble the taxpayer will bail them out. The conventional phrase is “too big to fail.”
Chris Hedges

6 Likes

And neither will Biden, or for that matter neither will my POS blue Dog Brad Schneider (D IL-10)

We are not going to fix this by voting alone

2 Likes

Yes—and to the original inhabitants as well.

4 Likes

From the article:

“The Democrats are walking right into the trap.”

It would be more accurate to say they’re skipping, hand in hand, and whistling a happy tune.

8 Likes

I send very small amounts of money to “The National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare”. I don’t know how much influence on Congress it or the other watchdogs have. I do know the Repulsicans have been trying to undercut these programs. If this weren’t a fact, I could agree to defer social security taxes for business and trust Congress to insure it is repaid. However, I have lost over the last 3 years most of what trust I had left in Congress and the business leaders who take advantage of every tax loop-hole they have persuaded Congress to pass.

Since the support of powerful interests for these federal insurance programs has been fading for years, these dogs need to bark.

2 Likes

Raygun was a demon who they worship.

2 Likes

Is this going to be another Katrina but in the economic form? When the levees failed - the destruction ensued. I’m sure the republicans and their democratic co-horts would love to unleash that kind of misery again and gutting social security is all that.

1 Like

It’s like asking the rats to guard the cheese. The DNC will allow the social security cuts for the extended paid leave for four months. They decide who eats. Bonzo was delusional kind of like Trump kind of like Biden. Bankers like old white men easily amused. Trump fiddles with Twitter while Rome burns. Trump and the Republican Tea Party have been a plague, kind of ironic. Good news is the confederate statues will be left standing, proudly defiant of common goodness. I grew up during segregation in Dixie. Never believe it can’t be worse. peace. Note: federal judge ruled the North Dakota pipeline must be reviewed, a tiny ray of hope.

Is it a “trap”

Or another perfidious “trade off” in “the art of the possible”?

I was more picturing them shuffling into it with their pants down around their ankles.

2 Likes

It would help if my fellow Dems would stop nominating such uber wimps as Jimmy Carter, Michael Dukakis, Al Gore, John Kerry, Barack Obama, Hellary, etc. Just seeing that much weak, weak, weak, wimpy, weak, wimpy, wimpy, weak, wimpy, wimpy, weak weak, wimpy weakess in one sentence - did I say weak? and wimpy? and weak? almost takes away my will to continue fighting. Oh, F. Tim Kaine.

1 Like

CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS REPEATEDLY, AND MAKE IT SOUND AS IF YOU ARE REALLY COMING TO GET THEM (WITHOUT–OF COURSE–COMMUNICATING A THREAT). (Yes Ms. or Mr. censor, it IS a complete sentence. Would you ask that question of, say,f T. S. Eliot?

That is a myth originating with the capitalists, who never signed off on that agreement…

1 Like

Yep, it is the bailed out that carry the cost of the bailout. Lol