Home | About | Donate

How Big Carbon Can—And Must—Pay For Its Climate Damage

How Big Carbon Can—And Must—Pay For Its Climate Damage

Stephen Leonard

I was traveling through a typically crowded street in Jakarta on the back of a motorbike recently, breathing the usual noxious stench of exhaust fumes, when I was struck by a powerful realization about the climate crisis. Many of the people around me were two, three, or more to a bike. So many faces were covered with masks to protect against life-threatening pollution. The fossil fuel industry has the world fooled, I couldn’t help but think—billions are addicted to its products with nowhere else to turn.

The 1% pays a dedicated lot to make sure laws are made to conform to their bottom line. The 99% only responds after these laws destroy theirs.

You are a poorly informed and injured soul, and/or paid to POLLUTE this site with glaring disinformation. Just disgusting!

The trolls always come in with back-up... how else to lend the patina of viability to their outlandish pro-business, right wing talking points.

How about charging the countries that extract it? Saudi, Iraq, Iran, China, Venezuela, US, Russia, ect. If a country buys a barrel of oil from another country, then burns it to produce steel for a car that is purchased by a third country, who should pay?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Robert - a useful and scientifically accurate line on the attribution issue is that:
"No single extreme weather event can be attributed solely to climate destabilization."

Regards,
Lewis

Stephen - thanks for this.

One point puzzles me, which I hope you'll clarify.
While charging Big Carbon enough that Loss and Damage is properly compensated, surely there is a stronger case for an additional charge to allow developing countries to install the renewable energy systems that will end their dependence on fossil fuels ?

Regards,
Lewis