Home | About | Donate

How Corporate Media Got the Trump-Kim Summit All Wrong

How Corporate Media Got the Trump-Kim Summit All Wrong

Gareth Porter

For weeks, the corporate media have been saying that the Trump-Kim summit could have only two possible results: Either Trump will walk away angrily or Kim Jong Un will trick him into a deal in which he extracts concessions from Trump but never commits to complete denuclearization.

Gareth Porter’s analysis and conclusions are far beyond what I think of as human nature. I cannot imagine that NK would willingly give up its nuclear weapons in exchange for the US vacating SK. Does the history of NK’s refusal to reach agreement with the US since the 40s include issues such as demanding the US leave South Korea? Why have other US presidents failed in their efforts? What were their efforts?

The efforts of other US presidents have for the most part been those Mr. Porter recounts of the Clinton and George II regimes, which was continued by Obama:

“. . . a denuclearization agreement to which North Korea had agreed in 1994 and again in 2005 and 2007, but which had failed primarily because of the reluctance of the Clinton and Bush administrations to commit to entering into a normal political and economic relationship with North Korea.”

We are being played----neither side wants to end the conflict-----and two mass murderers are having a photo op.

From where I sit I see Kim Jong Un, a megalomaniac dictator trying to legitimize/normalize a megalomaniac dictator wannabe, Trump, in the eyes of Americans by conceding to dismantle N.K.’s useless nukes. If Kim’s “Trojan Horse” is successful, It will be the coup de grace to the tenuous existence of democracy in the U.S… Just a theory

I found this explanation in Time magazine about why Clinton, GW, and Obama did not agree to meet with Kim:

President Bill Clinton didn’t go meet with Kim Jong Un’s father himself, but eager for a diplomatic win at the end of his presidency, he sent Secretary of State Madeleine Albright for the meeting in 2000. Writing in the New York Times in 2017, Albright recalled, “I held two days of intensive talks, during which [Kim Jong Il] appeared willing to accept more significant restraints on the missile programs than we had expected.” But she continued, “Obviously, if this dilemma were easy to resolve, it would have been settled long ago. The fundamental problem is that the North Korean leadership is convinced it requires nuclear weapons to guarantee its own survival.”

When George W. Bush came into the Oval Office soon after, he took a more hardline approach to North Korea, halting the negotiations that began under Clinton and Albright and naming the country part of an “axis of evil” in 2002. In 2006, North Korea tested its first nuclear device. The following year, Bush reportedly wrote a personal note to Kim Jong Il, “in which he held out the prospect of normalized relations with the United States if North Korea fully disclosed all nuclear programs and got rid of its nuclear weapons,” according to the New York Times. In his last year in office, Bush authorized the removal of North Korea from the list of state sponsors of terrorism (last year, Trump put the country back on the list). He hoped the move would salvage a faltering diplomatic process but ultimately the effort failed.

After Bush, President Barack Obama was open to talks, but never became convinced that North Korea would meet his preconditions or seriously intended to give up its nuclear weapons. “This is the same kind of pattern that we saw his father engage in and his grandfather before that,” Obama said of Kim Jong Un in 2013, who took over the country from his father in 2011 and had been making threats against the U.S. and South Korea. “Since I came into office, the one thing I was clear about was, we’re not going to reward this kind of provocative behavior. You don’t get to bang your spoon on the table and somehow you get your way.” As he was leaving office, Obama reportedly warned Trump that North Korea would be his most urgent foreign policy threat.

Each of the recent presidents before Trump struggled with North Korea, and none was able to get to a point where he felt that the country’s leader would come into a good-faith negotiation where denuclearization was seriously on the table. “To be clear — we need to talk to North Korea,” Lewis explained in a follow-up tweet. “But Kim is not inviting Trump so that he can surrender North Korea’s weapons. Kim is inviting Trump to demonstrate that his investment in nuclear and missile capabilities has forced the United States to treat him as an equal.”

http://time.com/5192579/trump-meets-kim-jong-un-north-korea/

I think that only time will tell who is right, who has Kim’s motivations tagged right. We will see.

Donald you did it again! Trump offers to stop military exercises and the corporate military police state is going bonkers-----just like when Trump said he would pull out of Syria----Donald you can play president but don’t go against the corporate military police state. Remember what happened to Kennedy when he had second thoughts about Vietnam.