Home | About | Donate

How Deregulation Led to the Opioid Epidemic

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/01/how-deregulation-led-opioid-epidemic

Felson is following the decades long history of using the “deregulation” euphemism to define the decriminalization of reform era and New Deal regulations that enabled the creation of the US middle class and enabled it to thrive for a half century until the decriminalization era began in 1978 that continues to destroy the US middle class.

2 Likes

The “Deregulation” of the past 2-1/2 years, has been Demoralizing and has shown the total lack of representation by the "Demonic Duopoly."

1 Like

Would there be an opioid crisis if we eliminated poverty? Rich people don’t seem to have these problems. If they do, they can afford the Betty Ford Clinic or such.

1 Like

I once had a boss who on hearing me whistle at work suggested that If I had time to whistle I was not working hard enough him then assigning me more work to do.

I guess there those in the owner class that feel if their employees not in pain they not working hard enough.

5 Likes

And Medicare for All should not be a windfall for needlessly unsafe or injurious workplaces. There should be a clawback provision such that any workplace injury which was due to working conditions should trigger a ten-year tax increase on the workplace operator (even if the worker is a temp or contract labor technically employed by someone else), with priority claim on assets if the business should be sold or go bankrupt.

4 Likes

The need for recriminalization of crimes against the middle class extends way beyond drugs and includes environmental regulations, safety regulations, and especially banking regulations, seeing how unregulated investment banks drive employers to treat their employees like slaves.

1 Like

David Graeber sees this as a profound cultural principle in his classic Bullshit Jobs.

In this land (California, USA) we’re not worthy unless we’re miserable; meanwhile we cast about for something, anything, to make us happy. If only for a little while…

underway long before 2000. read the book DOPESICK, to get the real story behind the opioid - truly horrifying and still going strong because there is so much shame attached to being sick from drugs and withdrawal from them. Heroin going strong because it is now cheaper than any opioid. the fault of all of us because we let the greed and awfulness of this nation get to our children. WANT REAL CHANGE IN THIS COUNTRY, BERNIE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN DO IT!

1 Like

The relentless pain of exploitation has always been “understood” by those who have and serve power

On top of everything else, opioids don’t really work in the long run and cause new medical issues. Useful mostly for terminally-ill people in extreme pain.

First, there is no “pain pill” epidemic and there never was. But this author, like most milking this disaster, are simply running with the dominant narrative on television. And it’s killing people like me.

Most overdose deaths are from illegal opiates–heroin and fentanyl the two big ones. Pain medications are less than 4k of the 47 total from the last annual count by the CDC. And 4k is a stable figure across time and prescription eras (same during “loose” era and in “tight” era). Most fatalities involve younger addicts, while most pain meds are consumed by older people who don’t die from them.

That was in the CDC data. They just cheated because Frieden was helping PROP with their scam to replace Oxy with Suboxone.

For some reason, a dreadful lack of knowledge on this chapter of the drug war is the worst on the so-called “left”. Clearly that’s a result of antagonism towards pharma’s business practices and rightfully so.

But the science of opiate therapy is over a century old, beginning with Bayer, and these medicines have saved probably millions of lives over those years. But there’s a catch: you gotta take them as prescribed and not chug a case of Natty Lite at the same time.

Understand that taking the side of the DEA in this “debate” is dangerous ground. Not only are you completely wrong about the science here, you’r contributing to the slaughter of tens of thousands of once-stable chronic pain patients who have lost their meds due to a junk science campaign.

I’m willing to be many of you even know an older person that takes these meds and lives a better life for it. But if we lose this fight–due in part to authors like this who haven’t even so much as examined a single CDC data table–some of you are going to be crying when you come down with CRPS and all you get is a bottle of Tylenol (which kills way more people per year anyway).

Progressives need to get their crap together on this issue. Bad business is not synonymous with bad science.

2 Likes