Home | About | Donate

How Immigration Changed A Small-Town Sweden That Never Existed

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/24/how-immigration-changed-small-town-sweden-never-existed

1 Like
2 Likes

Culture is needed for “souvenir shops” and tourist trade. Small town mentality has always been intolerant of “the Other”

1 Like

Culture preservation these days belongs in monestary’s. You can’t stop diversity unless you isolate. If you refuse to integrate you are labeled segregationist.
Black, white, and brown define our struggle here, not immigration so much.

Good article. Of course, a belief in mythic, morally virtuous, white-nationalistic past that is being destroyed by invading foreign darker races, and by, of course, the scheming “kulturbolschewismus” of the rich (((you know whos))), is the definition of fascism!

I never knew that Gävle, Sweden so much resembled Hazleton, PA, or Wheeling, WV.

1 Like

I suppose that Ben Franklin was right: when a woman asked about the new republic: he said we could all hang together or hang separately. I think that cultures act as if their own is the only way. But old Ben was correct. Wonderful ideas come from many eras and many cultures----there is no one right way----
Think about it Swedish town—without the immigrants—there would be NO town and you would be no where. Religions do have some great ideas—I wonder why people forget this-----Remember algebra students— Islamic scholars created algebra in ancient Baghdad— and today we are all humans in the same life school----and if we really listened to each other— What a happy world we could be. : )

1 Like
  • The publicly traded corporation was extraordinarily powerful before the world wars, and even more so after them.

• Peak Oil USA was in the early 70’s - then came the first oil shocks from the Middle East. No coincidence there.

• When the big corporations became even more emboldened after JFK and his brother were gone - the descent to this began in earnest.

The young climate protesters are now here, and their slogan is right on the money:

People before profits - Another World is Possible

This is so foreign to the rest of the populace as to be missed in the fog of arrests and yahoo political candidates vying for the scraps of what is left here - vultures all methinks.

There are a few make believe candidates who are presently capturing the progressives’ attention.

These creative saviors are what Arnold Toynbee spoke of in his monumental “A Study of History”.

I’ll put my faith in these young people - they may be unable to stop what’s coming - but they may be the only ones capable of putting the world back together after the crash.

If small town Sweden was so great, I don’t expect my Swedish ancestors would have bothered to make the crossing to the USA in the min-1800s. That they belonged to a minority, religious sect/denomination and felt unwelcome at home, says something about the level of Lutheran tolerance that existed/s there and is not new.
Nostalgia for dominance is powerful and insidious, as it can cloak itself in fairy tales that sound so good.

1 Like

I often waste my free time on Netflix. There has been several films made in DK with the topic of the poisonous grip that “christianity” has on people. What a disaster these “cults” have caused on too many.
I especially like your last comment about the nostalgia, but I’m not sure that it is totally motivated by the desire for dominance but often the desire for a warm, fuzzy dream that everything was more innocent in the past. As the world has become more complex, global wars, climate failure, food insecurity forcing migration and fear. With limited resources it so typical to blame the other darker side “the stranger”. As mentioned above without communities working toward solving our problems life will only be more difficult for all.

1 Like

After I wrote that yesterday - this came in from the United Nations via The Guardian:

"Alston is critical of the “patently inadequate” steps taken by the UN itself, countries, NGOs and businesses, saying they are “entirely disproportionate to the urgency and magnitude of the threat”. His report to the UN human rights council (HRC) concludes: “Human rights might not survive the coming upheaval.”

“Yet democracy and the rule of law, as well as a wide range of civil and political rights are every bit at risk,” Alston’s report said.

No. Franklin’s answer to the woman asking if they were going to be a republic or a monarchy, was “A republic, if you can keep it”.

His “Hang together or hang separately” was to his co-signers of the Declaration of Independence (which, frankly, was in many ways a rather right-wing document) 11 years earlier.

“ignore actual history” seems to be a “western way of life”.