Home | About | Donate

How Obama Went From Being a Peace Candidate to a War President

Add on X=Open Government Y=Closed and tighter and in the shadows more than ever before

X=Main Street Not Wall Street.   Y=Wall Street Gets it All.

Hard to imagine we’re the same country that once whipped the Nazis and the Japanese, back-to-back, in four years.

And in fact we’re NOT the same country. Back then our cause was just, and we were doing a job that had to be done. Now we’re just making up little make-work wars-- and the task has gotten ahead of us. So instead if winding things down now, Obama has had to begin winding things back up.

Do any of his advisers ever stop to think that our strategic goals are identical to IS’s strategic goals? We both seek to profit from turning the entire Middle East into a Zone of Chaos. So in Libya, Qaddafi was toppled and AQ picked up half the country. In Yemen, Hadi and Saleh are squabbling while AQ readies itself to step in and take charge. Syria, of course… will it go to al Nusra or IS? Those are the only two possible contenders. Somalia is in the hands of al Shabaab. And Iraq degenerates into a quagmire where we arm their free-lunch soldiers and then they flee, handing over all our expensive weaponry to IS. We should quit while we’re behind.

We’re breaking stuff all right. But it’s the putative enemy who’s picking up all the pieces and putting them together again. I’m in a position where my taxes are paying these guys’ salaries-- but I still can’t fire them!

“Back then our cause was just, and we were doing a job that had to be done.”

“LeMay said, “If we’d lost the war, we’d all have been prosecuted as war criminals.” And I think he’s right. He, and I’d say I, were behaving as war criminals. LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side had lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win?”

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert McNamara in “The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara”

If Obama were like a jellyfish, he’d be able to sting the Republicans where it hurts. Obama is a lot like Bush in foreign policy. He’s a warmonger and is too close to Israel. On domestic affairs, he’s too much like most Democrats. He can’t stand up to the Republicans. He lets them sling mud at him. He never slings mud at them.

I suspect you are right. Republicans were right in running Ronald Reagan, the job of President calls more for an actor to deliver speeches than for a policy wonk to make decisions. Possibly since World War II, certainly since before Obama’s first inauguration, our government has been of by and for too big to fail international corporations. It is way too late to stop them. The best we can hope for is to hope that they will settle for money with which to keep score in their game of monopoly, and that an agreement can be worked out to give our too big to fail capitalists enough money for them to accept the agreement and the rest of us enough of a solution to our three big more or less solvable problems that the rest of us can live with it: 1) our electric grid is extremely vulnerable to an electro-magnetic pulse either from a solar flare like the EMP that fried telegraph system in 1859 or from an enemy attack. Estimated cost $40 billion once. 2) We need to replace fossil fuel with renewable energy ASAP to avoid over-heating Earth’s climate so much our farmer’s crops can’t take it. Estimated cost $200billion/year for at least 30 years for USA alone, 120 years for world since it is a world problem. 3) Our health care system is better than before ObamaCare but still costs more than any other nation’s health care system and gives poor patient outcomes. Estimated cost I hope there will be enough offsetting savings on health care from reduced air and water pollution from replacing coal with renewable energy to pay for an agreement with too big to fail drug firms in to guarantee their (each individual firm’s) average annual profit over past ten years as both floor and ceiling on their annual profit in exchange for them giving up both R&D (to be done by health care school faculty funded through NIH) and marketing (to be left undone) and sticking to good manufacturing procedures with good quality control and passively taking and filling orders from pharmacies both hospital and retail. Once that deal is at least breaking even, it is time to try to buy out the health insurance firms to replace state insurance exchanges with Medicare for everyone.
The fact that our economy works ONLY for the ruling class and not for ordinary citizens is also a huge problem but probably NOT solvable–our ruling class are such sadists that they demand poverty-stricken masses to look down their snooty noses at.