Home | About | Donate

How Oregon Became the Easiest Place to Vote in America

How Oregon Became the Easiest Place to Vote in America

Lornet Turnbull

Charles Tso is an urban planner who moved to Portland, Ore., from California more than a year ago. An avid biker, the 26-year-old doesn’t own a car and seldom drives.

So when he went to his local Department of Motor Vehicles office in February to obtain a non-driver ID card, Tso was stoked to discover he could simultaneously cross something else off his to-do list: registering to vote.

“The timing was great,” he said.

Interestingly enough most of the top leadership slots in the state are held by Democrats.

Also, not mentioned is Oregon is a Postal-Vote state, along with Washington, and Colorado, with Oregon being the first state to go Postal- Vote. CD maybe you can write an article on Postal-Voting! Postal-Voting is a revolutionary voting method in America in which vote-flipping voting machines are non-existent, long lines in snow, and rain never happens, and all the other BS is a distant memory. No fraud ever reported, layers of anti-fraud safeguards in place, leaving voters with days to comfortably make their choices. Go Postal-Vote!

The automatic voter registration via the DMV is great, but the convenience of voting by mail makes voting here in Oregon easy and convenient. We don't have any long lines on voting days, except maybe the streams of cars of last minute voters dropping off their ballots in the additional ballot boxes set up for them. Me, I save the cost of postage and just drop it in the mail-box looking ballot box that sits permanently in front of the city hall of a small town nearby.

There is a downside as there's no exit polling, but considering how discrepancies between exit polls and election results are being ignored in states with exit polls, it isn't a big downside. There's usually an early count of ballots returned prior to election day so the preliminary results are usually announced within 3 hours of the closing of the polls.

We also have legal medical and recreational marijuana, so we don't just get high marks for ease of voting.

In the Democratic Presidential primary Bernie Sanders won in every Oregon county but one, where he lost by a single vote. We are also proud to have the only Senator who endorsed Sanders, Senator Jeff Merkley. Unfortunately our governor and other Senator endorsed Clinton and there's a strong cadre of establishment Dems running the state party.

Oregon has laws that say you have to stop for people crossing the street and that gas stations have to have attendants to pump the gas. I've gotten so accustomed to not pumping gas I've waited by gas pumps in Washington state before having the "Oppps..gotta pump it myself" realization. People here are much more polite driving, making a point of letting cars in from side streets etc. Of course there are some, mostly from California, who haven't caught on yet.

There may be just a tiny bit of resentment here toward Californians who move here, as they continually boast about the fortunes they made selling their California homes and how little they had to pay to get a much better home here. I don't resent them going on and on about it, or their rude driving habits, or the way they keep talking about how this or that was better in California, but hey: IF IT'S SO GREAT IN CALIFORNIA GET YOUR RUDE...

Never mind.

Suffice it to say, we have some issues with border crossings.

All in all, Oregon's a great state and I feel lucky to live here.

I'm proud to say that I have lived in Oregon for the last 21 years, Besides the easy voting, there is no sales tax in Oregon. Where they do get you is the higher than average property taxes.
As with any place that gets great reviews as a great place to live, people start moving in, there is a noticeable greater amount of traffic, but still nothing like Los Angeles that I moved away from.
As our former Gov. once said... "Please visit and enjoy your stay in Oregon, but don't forget to go home".

California's made things pretty easy too!

I don't understand how this is novel. In Kentucky and Pennsylvania, I have always been asked if I want to also register to vote when I visit the drivers license centers. Isn't there already a federal motor-voter law (passed by Clinton in the 1990s)?

I have always declined because I prefer the old fashioned way - which in my state includes registering/changing address/party affiliation, etc. on the internet.

I never liked the oh-so-typical USAn notion of tying registering to vote with driving a fucking car.

In most of the world (like Canada), one is registered to vote automatically upon being born (18 years hence) or achieving citizenship. The tax documents filed when one changes a job or moves serves to automatically notify of address changes with no action required from the citizen.

And, like New Jersey, you can't pump your own gasoline...

It's great to know it's so easy to register. Now if Oregonians only had candidates worth voting for. Although I don't live there any more, (My residency is across the Columbia, and I work across the Pacific.) I just visited Portland and I have friends and family who are still there. They are very clear in letting me know the Portland city government has become increasingly disfunctional. Turns out Vera was the high-point. Who knew!

I like this idea of requiring gas attendants----we should expand on this

me too...particularly as I age and mobility is more difficult! It also provides a number of jobs that would otherwise not be there.

I've been shepherding a voting tool that is almost ready.

The idea is to make voting fun again

http://www.autonomousdemocracy.org/ballot-test-2.html

Low turnout is associated with recognition that voting has almost zero impact on policy. For example, the US is going to continue slaughtering people while destroying democracies and the environment no matter what people say or who we vote for.

See Gilens and Page http://zerowastenews.org/Archive/Gilens-and-Page-3-9-14.pdf

The corruption and sorry choices we are witnessing in Election 2016 makes you wonder why so MANY Murkins vote, not why so few do.

At least Oregon twice voted against blanket primaries while neighbors California and Washington fell for that scam the first time it hit their ballots.

Portland city government must be doing something right, for they are not allowing the oil-train terminal that is going to destroy the region from Columbia River basin to the Coast, and beyond like Vancouver, Wa is allowing the oil-train terminal, and willing to do so for a quick buck. Besides, Portlandia is fun.

Blanket primaries ( the legacy parties gift to themselves) are like coyotes on the West
Coast. They may be out of sight but you know they'll be lurking, ready to eat your pets if allowed to. Phil Keisling ( DLCer ) was the man behind the curtain on that deal. As for Oregon, it is easy to vote by mail and study up at your leisure, on the ballot imitatives. Which are weathervanes for where the citizenry is ( Tri-Counties and Eugene anyway ) on major issues. Oregon is at least 2 states, possibly more. California is 4, as well. Americans need more representation and citizen legislatures, et al. Why don't they increase The House of Representatives? It's a bad joke, as currently constructed.

Coyotes will eat your pets only if you let pets aout of the house. Blanket primaries screw you no matter where you are...you can run but you can't hide.