Home | About | Donate

How Police Can Stop Shooting People With Disabilities

How Police Can Stop Shooting People With Disabilities

Harold Jordan

As talk of law enforcement reform continues to swirl in the aftermath of the Department of Justice’s Ferguson report, some communities have quietly made progress in addressing how police interact with students.

If we can't criminalize normal student behavior how will we instill the fear necessary to stop them from challenging authority?

ON EDIT: This is odd. I entered this comment under "As Awareness of the School-to-Prison Pipeline Rises, Some Schools Rethink the Role of Police" by Harold Jordan and it's showing up under "How Police Can Stop Shooting People with Disabilities" by the same author. I think I'll flag myself to notify the admin.

But, but, but, don't you realize how profitable the school to prison pipeline is? It makes extra money for the police, the lawyers, the owners of the for-profit prison system these kids wind up in.
* The only people that lose or suffer are the kids and their families.
* It's the American Fourth Reich way. More buck for the bang!
;-})
Note, the same thing happened to me. I was commenting on the school to prison pipeline article and it turns up under How Police Can Stop Shooting People With Disabilities.
;-})

Thanks for reporting hidden ties between the two, we hope it was a simple glitch.

When I was in my senior year of high school, I was in the Journalism Class, which you were selected for and which went on during the last period of the day. Most of us were seniors and there was a certain back door acknowledgment by the PTB that while most of the seniors had already peeled out of the parking lot at 1 or 2, we were there until almost four. So they looked the other way when one of us would leave campus and go to a fast food restaurant to get food for everyone. No way that would happen today. My son would have been expelled had he trotted across the street to go to Dairy Queen, and I always found it troubling that I had to buzz in to pick him up, as if he were in prison.

As a kid growing up in the 1950's and the 1960's, who attended suburban public schools, as well as a large suburban public high school, I don't recall seeing police in our schools, either.

Unfortunately, no matter how much cops are disliked (either rightly or wrongly) by a lot of people, they are needed. I still remember Boston's riots over mandatory school busing, when black students being bused into Boston's white neighborhoods under a Federal District Court order, were under terrific attack, both verbal and physical, both outside and inside the schools in those white neighborhoods, especially the high schools. Rocks, bottles, etc., were thrown at busloads of non-white kids, especially those coming into neighborhoods such as Southie (South Boston), Charlestown and East Boston, and kids were constantly under attack at those particular schools as well. Cops, including the Tactical Patrol Force, were brought in, which more than likely saved non-white students from being the victims of even more bloodshed than they already were, and, for the most part, more than likely saved their lives.

Pennsylvania's Kid-for-Cash scandal is a very good reason to reform the Pennsylvania school. How many years did that go on and how many lives were ruined? The Mammon Corporate Empire at work. The prison industrial complex. Build a fortress and they will come (jobs for rural communities).