Home | About | Donate

How Pompeo’s “Severest Sanctions” on Iran will Backfire

How Pompeo’s “Severest Sanctions” on Iran will Backfire

Juan Cole

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speech on new sanctions on Iran lays out a wide range of Iranian behavior he would like to change, and specified harsh US financial sanctions as his instrument.

Pompeo, a Kansas oil man backed by the Koch brothers, is just a former congressman and a virulent Christian fundamentalist with white nationalist tendencies. He knows little about the world and is among the worst prepared secretaries of state in American history. He also knows nothing about the history of the region.

This is a spot-on analysis by Professor Cole. In the one sentence quoted above, he correctly identifies our three greatest obstacles to peace and democracy; Greed, as represented by the Kochs; Religion; Racism.

Dave Lindorff brings up how such trumpery could put the dollar at risk, one heck of a backfire:

Pompeo and Bolton are triggering the very cataclysm that the US Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve have long feared, in which countries would abandon the US dollar as the international currency – a status that for decades has allowed the US to live beyond its means and to fund its trillion-dollar-per-year military by simply printing more dollars at will.

The Trump White House is a Chaotic Clown Car Filled with Bozos Who Think They are Brilliant

“Pompeo, a Kansas oil man backed by the Koch brothers, is just a former congressman and a virulent Christian fundamentalist with white nationalist tendencies. He knows little about the world and is among the worst prepared secretaries of state in American history. He also knows nothing about the history of the region.”

This is why I read and participate in CD.

My worst fears about the Trump regime are once again summed up in the catch phrase
“Connecting the dots to World War III.” Perhaps a joke is in order… “Those who believe reincarnation theory think it may not be a coincidence that hair Trump was born shortly after Hitler died.” I first told that one when the butt of the joke was George Duh-bya Bush. Perhaps Trump is a reincarnated Mussolini? World War III may be their agenda of genocidal extermination. What else is denial of climate change disasters but another form of warfare? Connecting the dots may not be unreasonably alarmist. Such security concerns may lead to removing Trump from office and if Pence must finish the term, his brand will be too tarnished to run in 2020.

Thanks for the story link. I honestly believe that is the linch-pin to US hegemony - pull that one single pin, and the US falls. The only way the US can spend $one trillion/year on its military, keep 800 military bases open worldwide, multiple carrier groups all over the world’s oceans, and completely ignore its own domestic well-being while forcing its neo-liberal demands down the throats of every other nation in the world - is because of the reserve currency status of the Dollar. Once that goes bye-bye, so does the U.S.'s global empire.

I pray that it happens in the not-too-distant future.

I agree totally. The US"s flagrant abuse has made the end of the US petro-dollar inevitable.

Decades ago when US Presidents and US Secretaries of State wanted to know how they should proceed in a particular area of the world, they would contact university professors who had studied and lived in the area for years. Now a days our elected officials contact christian/zionists and think tanks who only know the hate they live by and greed and pass it on to our elected officials. Amerikan leaders who say that sanctions on the people of Iraq which killed half a million children over a period of years was worth the price. Madeline Albright should be turned over to the ICC, if not to the Iraqi Government for punishment! Then W. Bush, Obama and Trump along with their Secretaries of State for the proper punishment!