Home | About | Donate

How Public Schools Became Easy Pickings for the Kochs

How Public Schools Became Easy Pickings for the Kochs

Jeff Bryant

Despite his campaign promises to transform American education, President Donald Trump had almost nothing to say about the subject in his first State of the Union speech, and his controversial education secretary Betsy DeVos has not made national headlines for some time.

Hope these pieces of crap the Kochs die really soon - oh yes they have their spawn. At any rate, please continue to boycott their products ( look online). Their idea of education is for profit theocracies with teachers getting minimum wage jobs.

Public schools serve a diverse population of students including special ed. Their idea is also to hope that sped students do not even get medical services so they eventually die out.

“Our president” loves uneducated people.!

Decades ago before “W” was elected and before National Public Radio was run by corporations they aired programs that talked about the planned war in Iraq and the planned demise or control of the educational system.

It isn’t just this president. But there is a difference between smart and educated. Let’s face it- this is all over “religion” taking over education which is why Devious appeals to these sickos. Also, I think they support eugenics and are against special ed.

The billionaires are taking advantage, no question. But as I have argued here before, the opening has itself been created by public education and especially the teacher’s union. We graduate far too many students who lack the ability to think, to question, to analyze and discuss issues beyond a 6th grade level. Just look around you–look at the 50 and 60 year old somethings you know. How educated are they? How curious? How eager to learn more information? This has been going on for decades now, so that in large measure we are a country of self absorbed, know nothing, incurious, clean, well dressed, presentable folks who share tons of images but never share ideas. This should be a challenge for Diane Ravitch–get to the bottom of quality instructional delivery, put a hold on social promotion that just dumbs down or disrupts all subsequent classes, teachers who couldn’t teach their way out of a wet paper lesson plan.

For every 999 people hacking away at the limbs of the tree of evil, there is usually only one hacking away at the root.

Thanks for the article–very informative and well sourced. But as for the Dems? They already are a “shame” and I don’t expect much.

Maybe we can get Bernie or someone like him in 2020–that would help a lot!

AMEN!   As a product of public schools in the 1950’s, and a teacher in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, I can attest to the truth – with a few exceptions, of course – of the old adage, “Them what can, does, and them what can’t become teachers.”  The corollary, “Them what can’t teach become administrators” is also true, with no exceptions that I’m aware of.  One reason I quit teaching was the assumption by other people that because I was a teacher I must not be very bright, and took any old job that I could find.   (I’ll admit that I’m not all that bright, but it’s not because I was a teacher — or vice-versa.)   Thanks to California’s great system of low-cost public Junior Colleges, I was able to continue my education and eventually became a senior systems analyst
in a large organization.

“The next generation”???
“School choice of the future”???
The article says five states are doing it now!!!
Kids with family resources are already pulled out of private schools. I know some families who home school well. But the effort required is huge and not all parents are going to do it well. Homeschooling on a broad scale is downright scary. Teaching is a degreed profession for a reason. It sounds like we’re going to have kids who don’t have social skills, may be exposed to dangers at home if parents are busy working, may end up working at home as well, all kinds of abuse possibilities.
Single subjects, especially foreign language, are great by computer, and supplementing by computer works well , too. All day? No.
School is socialization, protection, supervision, physical education, role modeling.,…

Excellent comment regarding the very necessary socialization in public schools. And right you are about the language component in schools. It is important to practice language skills such as in the classroom and in after school language clubs with classmates. Another very important factor that I see is input from parents and possibly community toward the curriculum. This last aspect is woefully absent. And woefully absent is funding for inner city schools where education should be a priority.
Uneducated are fertile ground for drugs, crime and poverty.

Like oil drilling, low pay for work, limited access for medical, and war, everything our lawmakers are moving toward makes no sense except to make a few people money in the very short term.

greed of and by and for the greedy ! But every once in a while I feel optimistic when I read or hear about some innovative working scholar involved in a community project.

I need to keep looking for articles like this because to give up and stop fighting for what is necessary is not an option for me. I get too depressed.

I meant “pulled out of public schools”.

Visit other countries, too, if you can. Some Chinese elementary teachers are amazing. You won’t hear about all of the good teachers in the press. They are too busy teaching!