Home | About | Donate

How The Iconic 1968 Earthrise Photo Changed Our Relationship To The Planet

How The Iconic 1968 Earthrise Photo Changed Our Relationship To The Planet

Bill McKibben

1968 was a crazy year, its events moving at a horrific pace. The Tet Offensive. The My Lai Massacre. Bobby Kennedy announcing the news that the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. had been assassinated. Bobby Kennedy’s assassination. Riots across urban America and outside the Democratic National Convention. The human drama seemed out of control in a way it hasn’t in the years since ― till now, of course.

We be fools who make a parking lot out of paradise and none dare call it home.

Thanks for your service, Bill, and for this beautifully written piece. It brought a tear to my eye, just as the first sight of that photo did a half-century ago. I still have that Whole Earth Catalog too.

I always loved Ray Bradbury… he had humans come from Mars-----maybe that explains what happened to the Neanderthals -------so after ruining Mars, the Martians came here,----
but now, we Neander-_Martians have no place else to go. So stop the wars, and go straight to barter and burn the money—as soon Wall St. will be underwater anyway. I wonder what we’ll eat— I hope it’s not each other. : (

Soylent Green! The new taste sensation!
People fight each other for it in the ration lines!
Get it now at a ration stand near you.
;-})

Hi minitrue:
ohhhhh— maybe that’s what Mr. Trump has been eating all along, in this burgers. : 0