Home | About | Donate

How the Klan Act of 1871 is Fighting Voter Intimidation Today

How the Klan Act of 1871 is Fighting Voter Intimidation Today

Billy Corriher

Four Virginia voters filed a lawsuit last week charging a discredited "voter fraud" activist with violating two key federal civil rights laws that prohibit voter intimidation.

If there was a shred of honesty, obviously there is not, in these folks worried about election fraud and the proponents of strict voter ID why don’t they issue new Social Security ID cards with photos on them, date/place of birth and if outside the US date of naturalization and renew them in the same way as drivers licenses but at no cost to the citizen? What is intolerable is that when you register to vote you show ID after that why should you? Contact your local League of Women Voters for questions and help. It may be true that we don’t have someone worth voting for, and we don’t have a system worth defending but the bully tactics of the racist must be opposed long enough for a new and better system to emerge. Consider going to polling places where these bigots will show up and lend a defensive hand to those being targeted with intimidation.

“and listing their names and contact information”

That in itself should be illegal, and was the type of thing common to the KKK, feigning innocent concern for the law, even though everyone know what follows when you release people’s names and addresses–they might as well have written, “you know what to do” at the end of the list. Although the courts might not find sufficient evidence, it sounds a lot like conspiracy to commit an act of terrorism to me.

I’m glad the article refers to the KKK as a terrorist group, which most people are either afraid to do because it hits too close to home, or the image of the dark-skinned Muslim is so culturally ingrained that referring to white people as terrorists just doesn’t make sense.

The argument from the KKK then and now (don’t give me that nonsense that the Klan no longer exists,) is that people should have a right to determine their own culture, and the underhanded southern voting restrictions were a way to defend their culture. See the implication? Not only was terrorism common in the south in the civil rights era, but terrorism was a fundamental part of southern culture.