Home | About | Donate

How the US Armed-up Syrian Jihadists

How the US Armed-up Syrian Jihadists

Alastair Crooke

“No one on the ground believes in this mission or this effort,” a former Green Beret writes of America’s covert and clandestine programs to train and arm Syrian insurgents, “they know we are just training the next generation of jihadis, so they are sabotaging it by saying, ‘Fuck it, who cares?’.” “I don’t want to be responsible for Nusra guys saying they were trained by Americans,” the Green Beret added.

The United States has been on the wrong side of this war since the very day Hillary gave the CIA the OK to start a civil war.
For Hillary to say that she could not have known that her approval in allowing the CIA to ramp up increasingly violent street demonstrations against the Assad regime in Syria is laughable.
Hillary caused the war in Syria and the war in Libya.
She owns these wars and she owns all of the dead women and children she claims she cares so much about.

I suggested this was in fact happening several years ago when those Arab spring protests first started happening,

It was called a crazy conspiracy theory.

There a reason John F Kennedy wanted to break up the CIA into a thousand pieces. He recognized that they had become a law unto themselves and were stoking violence the world over.

Again this is why I have little use for people that were ex CIA that might write here and treat them all with suspicion. It has never been an organization that on the side of good.

In today's lesson we are going to review what we have learned about the nature of the perversion of the "art" of war. More specifically, to what extent do intervening countries create and nurture a vicious cycle of seemingly self-perpetuating circumstances, which they then use as the sophomoric and specious justifications for unduly prolonged military campaigns?

"Okay class, repeat after me: If you don't know history, then...'"

It seems as if the United States has adopted a game-plan that calls for perpetual wars. The current focus is on the Mid East. However, there are many other areas that are prime candidates for U.S. invasion or intervention. All it takes is the invocation of fear/terror, and mass media’s devout compliance—in incessantly beating the war drums.

I think they took the recent myriad wars straight out of “1984,” by George Orwell. In that book, there was always constant news about some perpetual war, being waged on the periphery or borders of the civilized world. The reports were usually of "near victory", but never any real substantial gains.

On June 28, 2010, an AP article quoted then-CIA director Leon Panetta, "We're seeing elements of progress, but this is going to be tough.” That article read, “Panetta estimated there are fewer than 100 al-Qaida militants operating inside Afghanistan, with the rest hiding along Pakistan's mountainous western border.” When asked about the Taliban, he said, “There is progress—even if it's slower than I think anyone anticipated."

On July 25, 2010, an article read, “More NATO troops will die in Afghanistan as violence mounts over the summer, but Washington's goal of turning the tide against the [Taliban] insurgency by year's end is within reach, the top U.S. military officer said.”

Back then, I recalled many an article with a title similar to, "Al Qaeda's network has been 'severely degraded' by joint U.S.-Pakistani efforts".

Yeah right… It is just like I constantly read about the al-Qaeda's ”Number-3 man” being killed. He's replaced. Then, the next “Number-3 man” is killed. Of course, he’s replaced. Then… ad nauseam.

These war-on -terror news reports will "see-saw"—up and down, back and forth—into public consciousness for the next 50 years. The U.S. news media will mostly be reporting the military’s achievement of some sort of progress or near victory—punctuated by occasional setbacks. However, most of those military campaigns will never accomplish anything really definitive. Certainly, there will be no actual victory or “mission accomplished”, as the United States plans to engage in perpetual wars in that region.

Recently the West has embarked on ambitious campaigns of active combat engagement in several other Mid-East countries, from Libya, to Syria and Yemen. All the while—predictably— it is still stuck in the quagmires of Afghanistan and Iraq. Certain military strategists shocked many onlookers, when they suggested that the United States partner with certain elements of al-Qaida in order to achieve geo-political goals of the West.

And since then, for the sake of propaganda branding and stoking seemingly everlasting tension and fear, al-Qaida has almost magically morphed into various incarnations/factions. There are the so-called moderate rebels and then there is ISIS. Those relatively recently re-named forces mysteriously obtain training, logistics, funding, transport and supplies (i.e. from Iraq and Libya); certain of those ragtag forces are imported into different countries to create boogeymen so as to justify interventions on the scale which serve to further the geo-political agenda of the global power-elite. (It is no surprise that many of those recruits "defect" to the "enemy," along with their newly acquired training, weapons and supplies. Nice!)

So, be prepared next week for an article to read, "ISIS' network has 'gained substantial strength' DESPITE joint U.S.-[Insert name of coalition-force du-jour here] efforts".

Hmmm... It begs the question, "Why didn't the coalitions of the West learn their lesson from the former Soviet Union?" For, it also got bogged down in an Afghanistan quagmire. Truth be told, the powers-that-be—in their "infinite wisdom"— always knew that such wars would drag on and on and on... But then again, the military-security-industrial complex does seem to have an insatiable appetite.

Well this pretty much proves what I heard some time ago. Also, as noted in this piece that Netanyahu wants to destabilize the Shi'ite crescent from Lebanon, Palestine, Syria and Iraq, then on to Iran. That he had been in talks with Saudi Arabia decided the Sunni were better to help him against the Shi'ite's and with the help of the US it seems to be working well in Syria. They want to partition Syria and set up a Sunni state in the eastern part so they can run a pipeline from Turkey. Russia is definitely in the way.

one hopeful note from all this is that the special forces may be wising up and realize they have been used as tools for empire america. "No one on the ground believes in this mission or this effort," says one former green beret. just imagine the effect if the u.s military refused to fight for regime change in countries far away. why that might be the monkey wrench to end the ruling duopoly here and the beginning of real democracy--"not just for one, but for everyone!"

however, as a long time pacifist i do not agree with the implication in the following quote.

Others simply were not fit to be soldiers. “They don’t want to be warriors. They are all cowards. That is the moderate rebel,” a Green Beret told Murphy

cowards? maybe. or maybe they stand against a mighty force that expects them to kill strangers on command and find the conviction to just say NO!

The Viet Nam War finally ended when 60% of the soldiers on the ground decided to protest the war by staying stoned for 7 days.
What if they gave a war and nobody showed up to fight?

Can you even think of the words to convey how disgusting, demented and basically insane, US foreign policy is? Now do you understand why US hegemony must end? With a dysfunctional American government and its agencies, all Hell is breaking loose and no one in Washington is doing anything about it! It is long past time to curtail American power outside its own borders by sanctioning it and refusing to use the American dollar for trade. That should shut the bastards down.

Yep, but so far, I've only seen liberals complaining about aid given to our ally, Israel. America has priorities in the Mideast that must be protected: US oil companies. As a result, we engage in periodic oil wars. Our options are limited. We can't, after all, go into Russia or China to drill. There seem to be a lot of problems connected with drilling in South America, Alaska, or the lower 48. High prices and long lines at gas stations can damage political careers.

At Long Last!!! I am surprised and delighted to see this information that is common knowledge on other progressive sites such as ICH to finally appear on CD. Now I can contribute financially to CD once again. Prior to this, I was angry with CD articles that aligned themselves with the MSM mis-infomation regarding Syria. This article cuts through the fog:-

• Previously, CD articles I have read have attempted to blame the refugee disaster on Russia, even though the Syria refugee crisis pre-dates the Russian intervention.

• Previously, CD articles failed to notice the weapons convoys though Turkey into Syria for ISIS, even though top on the ground reporters reported it, and Russia provided irrefutable satellite evidence.

• Previously, CD articles made the Free Syrian Army (FSA) [also referred to as "moderate rebels" in the MSM] out to be the democratic hope for Syria, even though they existed only because of CIA support, and then only for propaganda/cover purposes and were never militarily significant other than to be used as a conduit for weapons drops for weapons that were passed onto Al Nusra.

Liked. I am thrilled to see that there people like yourself who can see through the fog.

That would require nations to be disobedient to the empire. The places that I have lived are no where near that point.

‘Russia will continue to send troops home [from Syria] in body bags’ – US State Dept. (Dept. of War)

Never forget that it was the USA which armed the Afghani jihadists in 1979 before the Russkies entered the fray in 1980.Same old same old. Plain stupid.

Well; when it comes to Empire, the USA is just incompetent. We Brits did it far better and whatever else we may have done we left behind railways, roads, irrigation schemes, infrastructure and both cricket and soccer. Our only mistake was losing to a bunch of insurgent slave-owning tax-dodgers in 1776-1783. Sorry, ROTW.

It's my humble opinion that wininning the war was never the objective. And corporate profits are not the only ulterior motive. This is genocide. Why else do we only do regime change this way in African and Asian Muslim nations?

Trying to parse out the clumsy attempts at war, well, I think our dear leaders are more capable, just with a different goal.

I remember reading the population demographics for the Arabian peninsula being reported around 2001, with musings that young men outnumbered young women by about 15 percent, unemployment was high there, job skills were low, and the men needed something to do...

Might Russia share this goal? Perhaps.

America has priorities in the Mideast that must be protected.

Well there not a whole lot of Oil and Gas in Syria. What this illegal war is about. Is who controls the Oil and Gas pipelines that the Saudi's and Qatar want to run through Syria to feed Europe. This would knock out Russian dominates in Gas and Oil currently feeding Europe.