Home | About | Donate

How To Change Your Facebook Settings To Opt Out of Platform API Sharing

How To Change Your Facebook Settings To Opt Out of Platform API Sharing

Gennie Gebhart

You shouldn't have to do this. You shouldn't have to wade through complicated privacy settings in order to ensure that the companies with which you've entrusted your personal information are making reasonable, legal efforts to protect it. But Facebook has allowed third parties to violate user privacy on an unprecedented scale, and, while legislators and regulators scramble to understand the implications and put limits in place, users are left with the responsibility to make sure their profiles are properly configured.

To anyone contemplating opening a Facebook account and using publishing intimate details of your life, please read Ralph Waldo Emerson’s essay Self Reliance first. You will be inoculated against the narcissistic need “fulfilled” by Facebook, the platform that exploits an all too common insecurity bred into our “culture” by the puppeteers trying to keep the strings taut on their puppets.

So much easier just to opt out of Facebook entirely…

Gebhart says “Of course, you could choose to leave Facebook entirely, but for many that is not a viable solution.” I would like to know why she thinks this solution is not viable for many people.

It’s pretty damned viable never to bother joining in the first place… Somehow, my business and social lives have survived never joining…

Unfortunately, pretty much all communications between members of my large family take place on Facebook - it has replaced both e-mail, and a telephone tree before that. So can certainly drop facebook, altogether, but unless all my family members do so too and go back to e-mail, a family member could die and I might never hear about it for weeks.

Yunzer - consider it an opportunity to educate the family on:

a) the perils of “Big Data”
b) the joys of “reply all”

I certainly have tried all that…

I don’t have a Facebook account but my daughter does and she keeps me informed about a lot of family happenings she finds out about on Facebook. My view is that unless people have control of their data they should not use Facebook. As it is they collect data on people who are not registered on Facebook so they may have my data. I have no way of knowing. They also buy off-line data to merge with the on-line data they collect so there probably isn’t too much they don’t know about millions of people.

I feel your pain!

Or you could lie. You aren’t required to tell them where you live or work, what your principal email address is, or even what your real name it. Plenty of people do this.

True, but the powers that be will have that info as soon as you power up you’re device.

I thought you are required to use your real name when you register on Facebook but they don’t enforce the policy very well.

Bingo! Also, I refrain from uploading pictures, as having any pictures for the data vultures is an increasingly bad idea. They’ve just gotten around to admitting that they are now using 2-D biometrics/facial recognition on all images uploaded, in order to “personalize” the facebook experience. They have in fact been using this tech for over a decade, but never admitted it.

If I were aware of an image sample that could cause the system to crash on their end, I would share it with all, but I am unable as of yet to find one. The older software would freeze and crash on some image types, so I’m still hoping to hear of something to ruin this generation of software’s usefulness.

Mark Zuckerberg is still being touted as a D-Party nominee for 2020, right?

Lying will not work. I tried this with facebook.

I suppose reposting this on Facebook can be viewed as ironic, but life in late stage capitalism is nothing if not that, innit?

I still have my Facebook account and just changed the setting to turn the platform off. About the only thing I ever did that might be harder now was to use a photo app (e.g. Aperture) to post directly to Facebook - not sure this is related and I don’t use Aperture anymore anyway.

Sure I’m annoyed with Facebook and to a lesser extent with Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple, and just about every large tech company I can think. But sometimes you just want to use a tool and you compromise. This is where I want my government to help me out - put in strong regulations that everyone has to follow and then whatever I choose will be a lot less evil than it is now. In the case of social media, the government could have stepped in a decade ago and enforced interoperablity standards (as they should have between Office programs 30 years ago) so that smaller companies that host your content can talk to all other companies.

Why do I find Facebook useful? I use email, the web, and facebook and that’s pretty much it (and not much time on Facebook). I don’t know any of the other platforms (Instagram, etc.). But the idea of being able to post something (either pics of my family or a news story I want to share with my friends) that I can get to them without emailing all of them (and many of them may not be interested) is a useful thing to do with computers. Unfortunately Facebook is almost unusable with all the crap that they feed you as you are trying to look at what other people are posting. It’s as bad as Yahoo email was before I started using that on my phone only (where the ads are a lot less obtrusive). I tried Google’s pages but none of my relatives use it, so I’m kind of stuck - just as Yunzer pointed out.

I had a lot of trouble with ads on Yahoo email. There are ad blocker programs that take care of that. If you are not using an ad blocker program on your computer I would suggest downloading one and using it. I believe on a cell phone you have to use an ad blocker browser to block ads. I don’t use my cell phone much so I don’t ads to be that much of a problem. With regard to Facebook its business model is corrupting things and particularly democracy. They call the selves a high tech company but really what they are is a data gathering company, Google is the same thing. Everything they do is aimed at gathering data. With no laws in place for people to control their own data using Facebook results in a loss of privacy and freedom. It is undermining some of the most important American values. I don’t care what benefits it has I am not registering. For searching I use DuckDuckGo which does not gather data. I don’t use encryption for emails but that is something people can do.

An even better method is to not use facebook at all. Why bother with that at allm we have many forms of communication.Facebook collects everything in your computer and feeds everything in it along with everything you post to scammers, corporate thieves and the feds. I’ve always avoided it and, as an activist, I’m glad I did…