Home | About | Donate

How to Combat Trumpism (Even After Trump Is Gone)

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/11/13/how-combat-trumpism-even-after-trump-gone

1 Like

Denial is not persuadable . No amount of reason , logic, exposing lies
etc. will have any effect on those that have decided to reject any and all
counters to their decision to follow a person that gives them license to lie , hate , deceive, cheat , and use physical violence to protect their delusion .
Only the person that initiates denial can stop.
Yes there will be a few exceptions to this , but when their are over 70 million people acting in the same manner , it becomes almost impossible to break away from the pack . This is only going to get worse .

6 Likes
Still, mere ubiquitous repetition of the truth will not be enough. Ultimately, what makes MAGA "tick" is rage and resentment. They are convinced, and infuriated, that Democratic politicians, academics, and the mainstream media look down on them; that they supposedly dismiss them all as ignorant, racist “deplorables”. From this hot, bubbling rage at marginalization by the "establishment" arises all of their fanatical tribalism and susceptibility to the craziest conspiracy theories. Because their faith in Trump and Trumpism derives from such raw emotions, just arguing about facts, ideology, policy, and values will not change their minds. Instead, converting them (back) into rational Americans will require not only mass education but also mass counseling.

So, in one breath the author identifies the problem as the establishment’s looking down their noses at Trump voters as ignorant, then proposes mass counseling and education as the cure, thereby validating the supposition he believes to be problematic - in other words, he looks down his nose at them! No, they don’t need “re-education” ; just offer them policies which will improve their lives and they’ll turn out! It’s really that simple.

8 Likes

I have an acquaintance that has always had my back when I have been traveling. He has always gone out of his way to help me. Unfortunately, he has always had jobs that required lots lot drive time, which he unfortunately filled with hate radio. I can speak to him very seldom now. How I hate hate. He does not hate me, but he hates those that he is programmed to hate, many of whom I spent my life helping in honor of the blessings I have been bestowed.

5 Likes

We should not ever call it ‘Trumpism’!
Why give this sociopathic POS the attention he so desperately craves?
He is attempting to make his governing style into a brand for future history books. Deny him that!
His ideology is plain, simple, dangerous Fascism. Period.

4 Likes

We The People have forgotten that the air waves-radio, TV, print media-are owned by the Public. The FCC has the power to approve or deny licenses to radio and television stations. We have allowed that oversight to wither and die, as corps such as Sinclair and Cirrus have taken over local stations that used to be just that-local. So people in the Monoculture have no other sources for information except some big multi-national spewing out its own agenda.
Starting point-bring back the Fairness Doctrine. For every right wing blowhard shouting lies five days a week, three hours a day, another viewpoint is presented with equal time. People like Rupert Murdoch should be put under a microscope by the FCC before being given a license. And SCOTUS-reverse the decision that deliberate lies used for gain are protected under the First Amendment. That’s just plain evil, because who can you trust with such a ruling?
Best of all-just unplug the TV and take it to a recycling center for electronics. You’ll discover real life for a change.

5 Likes

I did some landscaping last month. When I got back from errands today there was a flying dance of the Monarchs. So much peace. Just thought I should share my joy.

6 Likes

That reminds me of my Catholic upbringing and why I quit the Church:

According to the Catholic Church (in which I was raised and taught this): “Brute beasts, not having understanding and therefore not being persons, cannot have any rights. The conclusion is clear. They are not autocentric. They are of the number of THINGS, which are another’s: they are chattels, or cattle. We have no duties to them…. Nor are we bound to any anxious care to make [their] pain as little as may be. Brutes are THINGS in our regard: so far as they are useful to use, they exist for us, not for themselves; and we do right in using them unsparingly for our need and convenience….” Jesuit Joseph Rickaby –

And echoes of the animal-machine idea occur in a statement made by Pius XII to the effect that when the lower animals are killed in a laboratory or an abattoir, “their cries should not arouse unreasonable compassion any more than do red-hot metals undergoing the blows of the hammer, seeds soiling underground, branches crackling when they are pruned, grain that is surrendered to the harvester; wheat being ground by the milling machine. All of these groups, commercial, vivisectionist, and ecclesiastical, are quick to raise the cry of sentimentality when any attempt is made to consider the mental or emotional life of subhuman creatures. “Men, Beasts, and Gods - A History of Cruelty and Kindness to Animals” – Gerald Carson (1972) p. 17

For 2,000 years religious-based views like this have only served to harden people’s hearts toward other animals.

4 Likes

Every Democrat and progressive needs to read this book in order to understand the problem of how to get through to conservatives. As George Lakoff says it is in the frame. The Repubs are masters at this while progressives think the facts will convince others. We need to understand and use these techniques to promote our values. I’ve understood what he’s talking about subconsciously but this puts the solution in the intellectual realm of understanding. ~https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160358594X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Give that friend some classical CDs. Beethoven’s “Pastorale” will mellow him out.

There’s a huuuge difference between looking down on someone and realizing that they need psychotherapy. In fact, coming to know that is part of recognizing their humanity, and understanding they’re struggling with something that’s beyond their ability to deal with alone.

Many on the right have rejected policies that will make their lives better because they also make the lives of women, minorities, poor people and others better and that’s unacceptable to those who feel a desperate need to dominate.

2 Likes

I don’t even think what he has can be called an ideology or labelled with a political name. He has a mental illness–a combination of narcissistic and anti-social (psychopathic or sociopathic) personality disorders. Everything is secondary to that for him; he says whatever comes into his head at the moment that puts him on top, whether it’s putting someone down, identifying with other autocrats (with an odd mix of envy, admiration, and sexual compulsion) or effusive praise for himself. (Repeated, monosyllabic praise; he is a moron, after all). Perfect phone calls, great, great, beautiful policies, etc.

David Roberts at vox has written some good articles about this and at Grist he wrote a twitter essay about it concerning Republicans in general. They picked him and vice versa for a reason; they reflect each other pretty well, and the same with the country, just not quite as much, and more complexly.

2 Likes

Trump is the inevitable outcome of neoliberal policies. The DLC created him. And now the use him as their boogey man to scare us into accepting even worse neoliberalism.

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” - HL Mencken

2 Likes

The problem is not Trumpism, it is neo-liberalism. After all, the list of what neo-liberalism has done to our standard of living, how it supports corporate domination of more and more of our lives, its unchecked militarism, its stopping of effective and meaningful healthcare reforms as well as a fair minimum wage just to scratch the surface leads to extreme rightism and hate every time. Had the democrat party under Obama/Biden/Clinton/Pelosi/Schumer actually worked for these and other “people” issues then Trumpism would never have become an issue.

2 Likes

Precisely. If Others are allowed equality with me, I am a loser.

1 Like

Both are problems. Neither will save us from the other.

1 Like

Seeing the word “incompetent” applied to Trump and the organized crime syndicate (disguised as the GOP) in the first sentence diminishes the credibility of this article 90% plus.

Although the Democrats and many voters have serially demonstrated “incompetence” for decades, ever since they stumbled with Joseph McCarthy’s 1950s commie witch hunt the GOP has serially confirmed that it is highly competent at dismantling democracy and expanding fascism in the US and abroad.

While many of the GOP’s tactics are indeed unprecedented, progressives label those tactics “incompetence” at our peril.

2 Likes

Yes. Exactly.

1 Like

Incompetence is woven inextricably into the cloth of psychopathic competence in our society as in the world. How can we say the Democrats are competent when they’re so consistently a minority party in a country that overwhelmingly agrees with them far more than with the other party? But how can we say they’re incompetent when they’re rich and powerful, ruling in their own domains for decades at a time despite a public who overwhelmingly disagrees with them?

Charges of incompetence are absurd when applied to the far right, who are either manipulating or collaborating with the other party and getting everything they want, though not instantly. Almost everything people seem to interpret as incompetence in the Republicans are because those people assume the Republicans aren’t cruel and sadistic; people assume the Republicans are trying to do what they would do—try to not kill people with disease and ecological collapse. But given the overwhelming evidence that the Republicans are cruel and sadistic, that theory doesn’t work.

The only explanation that makes sense is the interplay of conscious and unconscious minds, the splitting of archetypes and thus feelings, thoughts and actions into opposing toxically mimicking parts of the whole, and that such patterns manifest themselves not just in individuals but in groups.

1 Like

People who gravitate to hate radio don’t generally listen to Beethoven, but you have given me an idea for what to listen to when I water in my landscaping this afternoon, so vielen dank!

1 Like