Home | About | Donate

How to End the Endless War

How to End the Endless War

Stephen Kinzer

Any member of Congress who runs for president in 2020 will be judged in part by his or her choice in the coming days.

Coalition Dropping US-Made Cluster Bombs on Yemen

How to end the endless RELIGIOUS War is to get religion out of governments.

Science, not superstition led us out of the Dark Ages.

" War in Yemen has been bad for all parties, with the single exception of the American arms makers who supply the weaponry."

There is your answer! You can make all the laws you want but until the war profiteering, American, Fascist, Empire is eradicated; nothing will ever change!

USA=Greatest Threat to Peace Ever!

The article suggests that, somehow, guns vs. butter is a debate in US society. Sorry. Debate’s over and guns have won. Which major political party favors serious reduction in military spending? Here’s the leading sentence in the “Support our troops and keep faith with our veterans” section of the 2016 Democratic Party Platform: “Democrats believe America must continue to have the strongest military in the world.” Hardly a sterling call for military reductions.

Lest we forget, we once had such debates. Here’s President Eisenhower in 1953: “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chance_for_Peace_speech)

I looked it up. Today, a B-2 bomber costs about $2 billion. The median cost of an elementary school is $20 million, so the cost of a bomber has risen from 30 schools to 100. The cost of an aircraft carrier is $6 billion. The average home can be built for $300,000. So we could build not 8,000 but 20,000 homes for the price of one. But, hey, who needs schools? Who needs housing? Our homes, schools, roads, bridges may be crumbling, but they are defended by the strongest military in the world.

…and no religion. too…How to end the endless war? throw away (recycle) the television, throw away all religion, and go AWOL, or lay down your arms enlisted person…Can’t do war with just officers.

media (zionist) propaganda pushes eternal wars in ME until Eretz Israel is achieved. Another false flag, 911, to ensure we have “enemies” and nothing will block the MIC/CIA/MSM cabal from plundering the treasury. Idiot America deserves the govt it votes in.

This site lists the cosponsors of H.Con.Res.81

Same low response rate on environmental articles.

But articles about Trump tweets–comments galore.

That would be great, but how? I can’t quite picture all the atheists and agnostics and people like me who are sort of religious but not the sane way the Trur Believers are running through all the Executivr Branch offices waving their hands and saying “Shoo! Scat!! God isn’t on your side and never really was, so scram!”

“They point out that forces we are helping to bomb in Yemen are supported by Iran, which we consider an enemy.”

emphasis added

Slick insert there Kinzer. What percentage of the population in the US would you estimate as agreeing with that all encompassing “we”.

Just who exactly is “we”, keimosabe?

Equally ‘entraining’ is the narrative that HRC’s support meant “defeat”. De feet of HRC, those clod-hoppers on which she has been stumbling for decades is a ploy dingbat!!! ITS HER ROLE - hello?!!!
Oh my! what an ‘accident’ that SOOOOO much remuneration has slid her way. She is the poster child for how democratic the inverted totalitarianism is toay. Whoooppee - are “we” having fun yet?

Keep in mind that the predominance of the ‘Cartesian’ systematic, from Renee Descartes, “I think, therefore I am”, came to him from an angel in a dream. He was educated by the Jesuits. That he thought, therefore he was, rather than being an inviolable truth henceforth dominated by an oligarchy, is an admonition to THINK FOR YOURSELF, together, respectfully with other human beings - even those colonized and claimed to be ‘lesser’. The reason being that THEY THINK, THEREFORE THEY ARE, no less than any.

The irony of a system, based on a construct of science demanded to the exclusion of all others (as identified by those in power, in turn identifying with an all powerful god) failing to see the process as well as the content, is tragic.

fairley7,
Thanks for your eloquent and bitter (rightly) response on this piece by Kinzer. Having been a peacenik for most of my 6 decades of life, I despair at anything new and just coming from our leaders in Congress, or the WH. It’s gotta come from citizens, and in great waves, at some point we have not yet reached.

I don’t really care for this author. If Chomsky, Scahill, Glen Greenwald, etc. has something to say, maybe there would be more comments.

You can be pretty sure the “we” doesn’t include Kinzer or anyone he has convinced over the years writing a book and many articles on Iran. From https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/iran-demonize-evil-tehran-213539:

The demonization of Iran is arguably the most bizarre and self-defeating of all U.S. foreign policies.

I agree though that another phrasing that is less self-defeating would have been better , something like "which too many US politicians irrationally consider an enemy (see linked article) …

Thanks for the link. I was happy to find that my rep (Ted Lieu) was a cosponsor when I first read about this bill on Oct 10 and emailed him a thank you note.

If anyone doesn’t see their rep on this list - take a minute to write or call and try to get your friends to do it too.

Thanks also to Ro Khanna, Walter Jones (a Republican - which goes to show you that you should never give up on the possibility of R support), and Mark Pocan who got this bill started ( https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/opinion/yemen-war-unconstitutional.html). And thanks of course to all the activists and writers who have tried to make US citizens aware of the atrocities we are now responsible for in Yemen.

I didn’t realize Chomsky thought so poorly of Kinzer at least back in 1988 (e.g. saying that he wrote half-truths and outright lies about Nicaragua, https://chomsky.info/198801__/ - search for Kinzer).

I am not familiar with Kinzer from back then, but when I’ve heard him on Democracy Now or Fresh Air, he always seemed quite reasonable. Anyone who opposes US overthrow of other countries can’t be all bad. He has a chapter in Overthrow (which I haven’t read) on Nicaragua - I wonder if his thoughts have changed on that country. I know the most about his views on Iran and they seem right on to me. I still remember his description of CIA paid thugs crawling the streets of Tehran, throwing bricks through windows and shouting in Farsi (I love Mossadegh and Communism!). I’m sure he supports elimination or a complete overhaul of the CIA.

Yeah, I think I remember Chomsky’s take on him, which left a bad taste in my mouth. The late Chalmers Johnson was also terrific in his assessment of US foreign policy, and I also admire Andrew Bacevich

Thanks for the link. By my count, there are 35 Democratic co-sponsors, and 3 very brave Republicans. There are some good people in Congress. Too bad they don’t run the joint!

A few of us care!