Home | About | Donate

How to navigate The Commons

Thanks for joining our community at The Commons, and welcome!

Here are a few quick tips to get you started and to help you along the way:

This private message has a few quick tips to get you started.

Keep scrolling

There are no next page buttons or page numbers – to read more, just keep scrolling down!

As new comments come in, they will appear automatically.

Where am I?

• For search, your user page, or the menu, use the icon buttons at the upper right.

• Any article title will take you to the next unread comment. Use the last activity time and comment count to enter at the top or bottom.

• While reading a comments on an article, jump to the top ↑ by selecting the article title. Select the green progress bar at the bottom right for full navigation controls, or use the home and end keys.

How do I reply?

• To reply to the overall article, use the Reply button at the very bottom of the page.

• To reply to a specific comment, use the Reply button on that comment.

To quote someone in your reply, select the text you wish to quote, then press any Reply button.

To ping someone in your reply, mention their name. Type @ and an autocompleter will pop up.

For standard Emoji, just start typing : or the traditional smileys :) smile

What else can I do?

There are action buttons at the bottom of each comment.

To let someone know that you enjoyed their comment, use the like button. If you see a problem with a comment, please let our staff know about it by using the flag button or, if you wish, privately message the commenter with your concerns.

You can also share a link to a comment or bookmark it for later reference - it will be saved on your personal user page.

Can I see my commenting history?

Yes, your comments, along with likes and replies, are stored on your personal profile page. Live notifications will let you know whenever someone has replied or interacted with your comment.

The comments aren't threaded. How can I tell if someone has replied to my comment? Or if a comment is a response to something else?

You can see all the replies to comments by clicking "replies", as you can see here:

Who is talking to me?

When someone replies to your comment, quotes your comment, or mentions your @username, a number will immediately appear at the top right of your page. Use it access your notifications.

Don't worry about missing a reply – you'll be emailed direct replies (and private messages) if you aren't online when they arrive.

When are conversations new?

By default all conversations less than two days old are considered new, and any conversation you've participated in (replied to, created, or read for an extended period) will automatically be tracked.

You will see the blue new and number indicators next to these articles:

You can change the individual notification state of an article's discussion via the control at the bottom of the article discussion (this can also be set per category). To change how you track articles, or the definition of new, see your user preferences.

Why can't I do certain things?

New users are somewhat limited for safety reasons as we build our new community. For example, most spammers and fly-by trolls post links or images then move on. Thus, new users cannot post links or images at first.

As you participate here - by reading, liking, sharing, and commenting, you'll gain the trust of the community, and become a full citizen, and those limitations will automatically be removed. At a high enough trust level, you'll gain even more abilities to help us manage our community together.

We believe in civilized community behavior at all times.

Enjoy your stay!