Home | About | Donate

How to Read Donald Trump

How to Read Donald Trump

Ariel Dorfman

The organizers of the white supremacist gathering in Charlottesville last month knew just what they were doing when they decided to carry torches on their nocturnal march to protest the dethroning of a statue of Robert E. Lee.

“How to Read Donald Trump?” I have to confess my first thought was “Please, not in Braille!”

I also confess to never having heard of “Para Leer el Pato Donald,” to my regret but not to my surprise. I hope someday to find a copy, both as a piece of revolutionary art, and as an outsider’s view of American culture (if I can be forgiven the oxymoron). ¡Viva Dorfman!

Thank you, Ariel Dorfman! Thank you, Common Dreams! This is a wonderful history lesson, and a warning from one who saw first-hand what a descent into Authoritarianism and Fascism entails. I sincerely hope that everyone who visits this site will take the time to read this piece, to better understand ourselves and how current events are not an aberration. It is very important for Americans, especially, to see things from the perspective of others.

Outstanding.

When my eldest was a child some of that Disney stuff (here in the USofA) made it into his toys. Scrooge and the nephews; the open celebration of materialism, wealth, greed, aggressiveness was all over that stuff. Reading this my mind said Disney right before he stated it. Wonder how different the domestic stuff was from the Chilean distribution.

How to read Donald Trump? Make sure to have crayons.