Home | About | Donate

How to Stop Big Energy in Its Tracks (Quite Literally)

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/10/how-stop-big-energy-its-tracks-quite-literally

1 Like

Nice to read something optimistic for a change. Thanks, I needed that!

3 Likes

Generally good news. I would say the next thing for the movement to do is to personally walk the talk if they don’t already do so. Purchase an electric vehicle and switch your electric provider to one with a renewable portfolio of wind and solar (Green Mountain Energy and Arcadia come to mind). You car will run on 100% clean energy (no oil, no coal, no nat gaz, no nukes). If it meets your needs and budget get one. Also support groups that help low income households obtain solar power (Grid Alternatives is one). With coal, nat gas and nuke plants there are high fixed costs. A marginal decline in revenue over time can spell bankruptcy for them (we are seeing this in the coal industry). Your local electric company or coop will be a pass through for clean energy and won’t have to burn as much coal or nat gaz or split atoms. Yes, wind kills birds but modern ones fewer than older ones (wind turbines). Oil spills kill birds, ditto for climate change. I suggested that environmental groups in lieu of or in addition to litigation and legislation they help obtain alternative energy for low income folks. Put up pvs on their roofs or at the least purchse modern efficiency AC units (big energy user in Houston in the summer and summer lite months). Agree to pay off three months of their average electric bill if they switch to an alternative energy provider.

2 Likes

a push by utility companies to obtain funding and permits for the construction of 235 gas-fired power plants, each with a 30-year life expectancy.

These are going to be needed to replace ancient (less efficient) gas and coal plants and will be burning meat industry methane digester gases.

Another way to stop Big Energy is to switch to tracks literally. For years, people used streetcars, interurbans, commuter trains, and long-range trains for travel, with a much lower carbon footprint. A personal vehicle was considered wasteful and costly. Then the automotive gurus got together with advertising and energy firms to lobby the government to rip up the train tracks and provide funds to build lots and lots of roadways using government subsidies. No one thought about the environmental costs. Lots of land out there for suburbs advertised as the American Dream. All forms of media pushed this meme hard.
And here we are. 2050 is a perfect date to use for projects. We won’t have to sacrifice any part of our current life style(oh, we might walk to a store or take the bus a few times) and the next generation can figure out what to do. If I were 60 years younger, I’d be pissed at the adults making us the sacrificial goats for drastic cultural changes.
Make Green Cool! Make wasteful living Uncool! Culture Jam!

2 Likes

Do the authors not see that taxing carbon at the wellhead and mine at a rate that would make gasoline cost $5/gallon stop the fossil fuel industry dead in its tracks. Unless Biden and Kerry use the market to halt the use fossil they are not being sincere in their actions to halt global warming.

1 Like

good point.
I would argue we start by ending all subsidies.
Find out where the market(s) balance at and go from there.

I really want to abolish money, buuuut, nobody seems to be on that bus , so…
baby steps? to the door?

Nuclear cars?

How fast does it go? Can it reach escape velocity?

:wink: