Home | About | Donate

How Uber Could Be Part of the Solution (Instead of Embroiled in Controversy)

How Uber Could Be Part of the Solution (Instead of Embroiled in Controversy)

Steven Hill

With an eye on future development, it becomes increasingly important to view our streets as a public utility, as much as our electricity, sewage and communication systems. The subways, buses, personal autos, trucks, taxis and now on-demand ridesharing vehicles together form a transportation system for moving people and goods from place to place. Particularly in crowded urban areas, getting the right mix of these various options can make the difference between whether transportation is efficient and enviro-friendly or clogged up by congestion.

How are Uber and Big Taxi different as far as "sharing" is concerned? They both provide a service for money. Is this "sharing"? I am an old person, and when I was younger, sharing meant that I GAVE some of what I had to someone else. "Billy, share that with your sister! " But I know that language changes. In this sense, the meaning of "share" as it is used here is the opposite of what it used to mean. It now means that I will share with my sister for a fee.

Corporate crony capitalism-its amazing the worker provides everything and the CEO gets filthy rich. I worked for a company it was prohibited for employee's having their smart phones while working. Then the policy was changed workers were encouraged to use their phones to help customers. The young people were so happy,never comprehending they were providing a benefit to a billion dollar corporation. These regulations are to help the 1%keep control. The Uber thing shows this more than ever.I should be able to put taxi on my car and do the capitalist thing-but no it can't work that way.If the Uber driver is an independent contractor providing everything why not just be an independent contractor without Uber?Yes Uber provides the contacts,but a good independent driver would develop a clientele. The commons should be a way for an individual to be part of the market place with little regulation. And this is how it was before the industrial revolution.

"When it reaches that limit, no more of that type of vehicle would be allowed; or “overflow vehicles” could be required to pay a higher congestion fee, kind of a version of London’s congestion pricing. An algorithmic limit on the number of drivers during congestion times could be a win-win approach to solving this problem."

Novel idea.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.