Home | About | Donate

How Unpatriotic Is Donald Trump?

How Unpatriotic Is Donald Trump?

Ralph Nader

Samuel Johnson famously considered patriotism “the last refuge of a scoundrel.” His biographer James Boswell, who passed along that judgment, clarified that Johnson “did not mean a real and generous love for our country, but that pretended patriotism which so many, in all ages and countries, have made a cloak for self-interest.”

What a great little video. It was great to be reminded of Cicero's quote:

Freedom is participation in power.

And that there's a difference between freedom and patriotism.

i searched the internet for any indication that nader has spoken out in support of jill stein and found nothing.

Julie Andrews:
:musical_note:Just a spoonful of Trump makes the Hillary go down...:musical_note:

Ralph hasn't changed much over the years. The magic of his family was love, as he said, and this leads to efforts to improve everybody's lot and move closer to "justice for all". I think I met his father, was in his restaurant and knew his sisters and they are very down to earth, practical, caring people.

Hopefully Nader will give us balanced coverage of two of the most extreme enemies of the people during the next four months.

Clinton and Trump are two of the most baggage laden creatures on the planet, so there is no shortage of material.

If not us, then whom?

Thank you Common Dreams for helping to get out the intelligent comments of Ralph Nader. It seems that seldom does the mainstream provide that. What determines "choices" depends on one's information base which probably is often whatever was on television. Crisis of Character is a new book by Gary Byrne, a White HouseSecret Service agent which reveals a lot about another candidate.

Fourth of July meme:

Bart in front of Bernie Poster:

"I'm an American, What the Hell areYou?"

Nader also ran for POTUS in 2008.

Green Party 1996 and 2000, independent 2004 and 2008.

I voted for Ralph Nader every time he ran for president however he isn't perfect. Now he wants to interpret Samuel Johnson for us and shove his version or any version of patriotism on his readers. Much of his thinking is flawed. I prefer the words of Krishnamurti:

Auckland, New Zealand | 3rd Vasanta School Gardens Talk 2nd April, 1934
"Patriotism, whether it is of the western kind, or of the eastern kind, is the same, a poison in human beings that is really distorting thought. So patriotism is a disease, and when you begin to realize, become aware that it is a disease, then you will see how your mind is reacting to that disease. When, in time of war, the whole world talks of patriotism, you will know the falseness of it, and therefore you will act as a true human being."

I served in Vietnam as a medical corpsman ( 31 May 1967 - 31 May 1968 ). I agree with Samuel Johnson's adage that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, having seen the human face of the victims of what was a tragic and unnecessary war on the wounded grunts, wounded civilians and even on a rare occasion a wounded VC guerrilla. But this debate about military service is just another rhetorical red herring full of sound and fury and signifying nothing one usually finds during a political campaign. In fact, If I could get into a time machine and travel back to the sixties, I would have probably avoided military service as many of my fellow male baby boomers did. I did a disservice to myself and my country by serving in a criminal war. So I have no animus against civilians who never served in the military. Less than one percent of my fellow citizens are veterans. President Richard Nixon substituted the draft with a lottery which eventually morphed into our volunteer armed forces. And I say good riddance to the draft. My enlistment seemed like a form of indentured service, and my discharge more like a pardon from a governor for time served in a prison. And quite frankly, Senator John McCain is an embarrassment of epic proportions given what a war hawk he always is when it comes to using the military as a blunt instrument in foreign policy.