Home | About | Donate

How Women-Led Movements Are Redefining Power, From California to Nepal

How Women-Led Movements Are Redefining Power, From California to Nepal

Rucha Chitnis

In her essay “There is No Hierarchy of Oppressions,” black lesbian feminist poet Audre Lorde wrote: “I have learned that oppression and the intolerance of difference come in all shapes and sizes and colors and sexualities; and that among those of us who share the goals of liberation and a workable future for our children, there can be no hierarchies of oppression.”

This is excellent and bears repeating:

“Globalization, in fact, has given rise to a kind of fascism,” she notes.

"Barla has flipped the script on traditional models of “development” by defining it from an indigenous worldview. “We are not anti-development,” she said. “We want development, but not at our cost. We want development of our identity and our history. We want that every person should get equal education and healthy life. We want polluted rivers to be pollution free. We want wastelands to be turned green. We want that everyone should get pure air, water, and food. This is our model of development.”

And this:

"Tribal journalist and movement leader, Dayamani Barla, is on the frontline of land struggles in Jharkhand, India. Dayamani believes that displacement of indigenous communities in Jharkhand is akin to cultural annihilation and has advocated for sustainable development models that integrate indigenous worldviews and knowledge systems. “Our perspective is to make livelihoods as the basis of indigenous people’s culture. This is to sculpt a new model of development, which has a scientific thinking like the indigenous lifestyle and the technology should work in harmony and cooperation with nature. The thinking should not be just to take away from nature,” she notes."

And to those whose knowledge of anything Left of center focuses exclusively on Capitalism, put this into your pipe and smoke it:

"Deranger is a tireless advocate for the rights of the First Peoples of Canada, raising awareness of the impact of tar sands on the culture, health, and sacred lands of indigenous communities. “Colonization came with the imposition of patriarchy. The real power of our communities came from our women as we were matriarchal societies. Our women today are reclaiming our roles as leaders of our community, as part of this resurgence of our people, not just in the climate movement but in all of the different movements to reclaim our indigeneity,” she said."

"Colonization came with the imposition of patriarchy." That's right, because patriarchy's consigning 2nd class status to females set the template for the hierarchical society, a society which viewed some as worthy and others as not. This thesis made for slavery and all of the insults done to human beings and nature.

Audre Lorde writes, “I have learned that oppression and the intolerance of difference come in all shapes and sizes and colors and sexualities; and that among those of us who share the goals of liberation and a workable future for our children, there can be no hierarchies of oppression.”

What IS the spirit of Liberty?

"I cannot define it; I can only tell you my own faith. The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which seeks to understand the minds of other men and women; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which weighs their interest alongside its own without bias; the spirit of liberty remembers that not even a sparrow falls to earth unheeded; the spirit of liberty is the spirit of him who, near two thousand years ago, taught mankind that lesson it has never learned, but has never quite forgotten – that there may be a kingdom where the least shall be heard and considered side-by-side with the greatest. And now in that spirit, that spirit of an American which has never been, and which may never be – nay, which never will be except as the conscience and courage of Americans create it – yet in the spirit of America which lies hidden in some form in the aspirations of us all; in the spirit of that America for which our young men are at this moment fighting and dying; in that spirit of liberty and of America so prosperous, and safe, and contented, we shall have failed to grasp its meaning, and shall have been truant to its promise, except as we strive to make it a signal, a beacon, a standard to which the best hopes of mankind will ever turn; In confidence that you share that belief, I now ask you to raise you hand and repeat with me this pledge:
I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands–One nation, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." - Judge Learned Hand

Mitak' oyas'in

Namaste. An opportunity for women to be recognized politically, which will affect all women's issues, is here! It is time for women to be the PEACEMAKERS. The plan is for women to be the first to unite to promote a Gandhi / King-like Global Movement of Nonviolence, For the Children (GMofNV). It is time for women to take the world stage. The attempt alone will give credence to the fact that women are equal. However, the powers that be will not readily change. It will be a process, but the movement of nonviolence sets the precedent for all future generations!

If women do not unite as the peacemakers, the world will suffer. A plan is ready. Please see www.GSofNV.org.

Peace and Love
The team at GSofNV
Rose, Jan, Andre, Carol, Joan, Don, Deanna