Home | About | Donate

'Huge Loss for Baltimore, Maryland, and the Nation': Rep. Elijah Cummings Dies at 68

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/17/huge-loss-baltimore-maryland-and-nation-rep-elijah-cummings-dies-68

1 Like

An angel amongst us just got called home. May others champion on in your memory. Deepest of sympathy to your family for their loss.

6 Likes

Rest in Peace, Rep. Cummings. May his death remind us all that a life well-lived will bring us peace.

Condolences to all his loved ones.

8 Likes

I’m shocked and saddened by his passing. He was a calm voice in the storm. He was the voice of reason. He saw wrong and tried to right it. He sought justice. He didn’t take sh*t from nobody. In the midst of the current troubles, the person who takes his chair must continue to lead the investigations Rep Cummings was conducting with his spirit and intensity. It’s a big ask, but it must be done.

8 Likes

America has lost a friend…one of my Hero’s has passed…we must remember his words “WE are better than this”.

6 Likes

As someone who grew up and benefited from his work and had made his acquaintance, I will say this, Elijah was a brother and a friend.

4 Likes

Elijah Cummings seems to have spent a lifetime cultivating the spiritual and intellectual capacity to put his profound sense of justice into action and words both alone and together with others. An icon of the coherence and power of empathy, I cannot recall a single instance of him ever even coming close to losing his cool. If something or someone went off track causing problems, he would double down to a center of such integrity that he made the call to justice roar in the most civil of modes.
Some Living National Treasures, by virtue of their profound, life-long cultivated virtues
DO BECOME IMMORTAL INSPIRATIONS!

Elija Cummings, PRESENTE!

6 Likes

When I heard the news this morning, I cried. Elijah Cummings was a force to be reckoned with, a champion for the people and what true public service looks like in action! My condolences to his family and friends. May the Lord watch over all.

4 Likes

I will not forget or forgive that as Chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus in 2016, Cummings led the lies and misrepresentations about Bernie Sanders civil rights record in their push to get Hillary Clinton the Democratic Presidential nomination by hook and by crook. He and Rep. John Lewis led those lies, and cost us the one candidate who WOULD have defeated Trump.

4 Likes

Thanks Ditton. That is a great epitaph. “We are better than this.”
Sad day.

1 Like

In a coalition party you have to put up with a lot of_______( your gripe here ).**Counseling and also screaming in a closet can help with this.
Meanwhile, back at the overwhelmingly male, white people’s party they are arguing about who pulled the short straw and has to support POTUS Trump’s latest tweet.
Con. Cummings was a mere mortal and had his good and bad moments, political misfires, etc.
He’s been taken too early at 68 from his family, that’s a given. That ol’ grinding wheel of life wears us all down, sooner or later. Now he suffers no more from its turns.
Just sayin’.

1 Like

It’s stuck in my mind watching him from his chair, gavel in hand screaming “WE are better than this!”. It is his legacy to us all.

1 Like

What a disgusting comment.

It was sad to hear of Elijah Cummings’ passing.
May he rest in peace and joy.

Thanks Bill…I couldn’t even force myself to reply, best to just walk away. Again, thanks.