Home | About | Donate

'Huge Moment for Justice': Landmark Verdict as UK Jury Acquits Extinction Rebellion Co-Founder Who Argued Necessity Defense

'Huge Moment for Justice': Landmark Verdict as UK Jury Acquits Extinction Rebellion Co-Founder Who Argued Necessity Defense

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

A jury in the United Kingdom acquitted a pair of climate activists—including a co-founder of the Extinction Rebellion movement—of vandalism charges Thursday after they defended their acts of civil disobedience as a proportionate response to the threats posed by the global climate crisis.

3 Likes

Simply put, there are just too many folks on our little blue boat.

2 Likes

Good for UK jury. I know we have a different legal system than the UK, but talk about swift justice. In the US one can get mired in the court system for years or the obviously guilty (oil corporations like Chevron for instance) drag their cases on for years. In the UK, this seems to be a good example of ‘right to a speedy trial.’

3 Likes

$9,105 to wash some chalk off the wall?
Sounds like they inflated the damage and maintenance costs.
Imagine if some little kids used chalk on the sidewalk to play hopscotch.
They probably would have spent millions to repave.

8 Likes

“Common sense” is all it takes.

Hurrah for both the Jury and defendants! Sometimes justice is more than just a euphemism.

Much as I hope the same thing could happen in Ametica, I sincerely doubt it. We look at the little picture (rule of law) rather than the big picture( destroying the planet).

1 Like