Home | About | Donate

'Huge Victory' for Standing Rock Sioux Tribe as Federal Court Rules DAPL Permits Violated Law

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/25/huge-victory-standing-rock-sioux-tribe-federal-court-rules-dapl-permits-violated-law

7 Likes

The Spirit of Fire

The Fire Symbol represents cleansing and renewal because out of the ashes of a fire comes new growth and new thoughts and ideas.

11 Likes

A victory for indigenous people is a victory for Mother Earth and for every living creature.

19 Likes

This is a great moment for all those who have been fighting for this justice for so long now.

I do fear that William Barr and the Trump administration will see that this gets to the Trump Supreme Court quickly to reverse the decision. I hope that I am wrong and that true justice prevails.

9 Likes

If only the native peoples had realized in the 1500s and 1600s what the paleface European invaders would do to them and Nature, and had prevented them from stealing this continent.
Now they’re left to fight for the last vestiges of sacred land and their existence. But the invaders have now destroyed 95% of the intact ecosystems and native flora and fauna that were here when they arrived.
When I was young and heard the story of Custer’s Last Stand, I cheered for the natives.

7 Likes

Here is evidence of the necessity to stand your ground, non-violently, document, document, document and build community!

The US MUST RECOGNIZE the FREE, PRIOR AND INFORMED CONSULTATION of Indigenous Peoples in Convention 169 of the ILO, in any activity that impacts their lives.

Non-indigenous peoples would benefit - especially these days - from becoming familiar with the premises in Convention 169. Its time to really dig into the Rights of Mother Earth as well. Never forget that the latter are already in the Constitution of Bolivia.

Our Indigenous brothers and sisters the world over are among our most valuable teachers.

10 Likes

Better coin in the wishing well might be digging into the anglo history and why the perversions were so deeply embedded in order to work on their ongoing correction today. Our indigenous brothers and sister, in my opinion, should not be considered a “they” left to fight alone for sacred lands. In fact … we CAN change that.

3 Likes

Thank god, some good news!

2 Likes

Some good news is right! Much needed.

2 Likes

This is a terrific victory - and I believe it will stand as long as Trump is defeated in November (otherwise he will have time to do the minimum environmental impact statement called for by the judge and/or have the time to appeal the ruling to the Supreme Court).

5 Likes

Oh well done. Have waited and watched for this !! The same company traveling around the country making messes and leaving them at last were stopped, once.

1 Like

Great insights. Thank you.

I can’t help but chime in on a negative note, though, since you mentioned Bolivia.

I lived in Bolivia for more than two years, from the Fall of 2016 to the end of 2018. Yes, the Rights of Nature are indeed affirmed in the Bolivian Constitution. They are overwhelmingly NEGATED, however — denied and disrespected — in contemporary Bolivian CULTURE. They are negated in the dominant, majority culture of every South American nation.

Bolivia’s constitution was drafted between 2006 and 2008. It was ratified by popular vote in 2009. When I first moved to Bolivia, I believed that inclusion and affirmation of the rights of future human generations and other living beings were the results of popular consciousness. I soon realized this was not the case. Bolivia is just as consumeristic as the US — perhaps more so. There is trash all over their parks and all along their roadways. The rivers of the Altiplano (La Paz, Oruro, Potosí) are so contaminated you would become acutely ill if you fell into one of them.

The government under Evo Morales did nothing to discourage consumerism or clean up their rivers. He promoted oil drilling in their national parks. I supported Evo when he was president and still support him now, because he is far better than any of the alternatives. But environmentalist he is not. Nor are Bolivians in general. They have virtually no environmental awareness, outside of small rural communities.

The Bolivian Constitution was ratified because it was promoted by Evo. No one except a handful of insiders actually read it. In those days, Evo was immensely popular. He was a true man of the People. The leading public intellectual behind the actual writing of the constitution was a sociology and philosophy professor named Raúl Prada Alcoreza. He served as an advisor in Evo’s government for about two years. As advisor, he kept insisting that Evo should work harder to enforce the rights of nature (and the various other truly enlightened, innovative features of the new constitution). Evo turned his back on him, turned his back on the constitution, and Professor Prada left the government.

There is no ecological popular culture to support and strengthen the wisdom of Raúl Prada, or of the Bolivian Constitution’s affirmation of the rights of nature. Without an ecological culture, rights of nature enshrined in a constitution are hollow and toothless. There are no environmental lawyers in Bolivia. There are no environmental judges or legislators. There is just an extractive machine driving Bolivia’s economy, which nearly everyone has to participate in, just to survive, to feed their families. The rights of nature in their Constitution have no more power to stem the tide of ecological destruction than does pretty poetry on the wall of a museum.

When words have no power, when the bonds of trust in language that form the heart of culture have been torn to shreds — as they have been throughout Latin America — then provisions in a constitution have zero effect. Read Eduardo Galeano’s masterful book, The Open Veins of Latin America, if you wish to gain a better understanding of the historical-cultural roots of the dysfunction that I have described. It will break your heart. But we must read such books to bear witness to what has happened.

5 Likes

I agree. If you haven’t, I recommend reading “Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee” by Dee Brown. The lies, broken treaties, and murder detailed in that book highlights the infuriatingly absurd notion that we once commonly used the term “Indian Giver” to denote someone as a false giver.

4 Likes

Temporary win for Indigenous before the oligarchs go back to pissing in their drinking water and poisoning their kids. If their land gets too soiled they’ll just move them to a desert or some other hellhole; another problem solved by capitalism.

4 Likes

Don’t try to make Obama into some big hero. I remember how he stood by along with the North Dakota Democratic Senator Heidi Heitkamp and did nothing to stop the militarized security forces from torturing the peaceful Water Protectors. The real heroes at Standing Rock were the Water Protectors. Obama was busy making secret plans for his TPP.

5 Likes

That’s the reality, isn’t it? Well said.

I would add to your very astute analysis that the human species in general has risen to its role as earth-dominator by having an anti-ecological culture.
Our entire system is built on plundering the biosphere, enslaving and killing innocent sentient animals.
The murder of Nature is baked in to our DNA now, and the world economy is based on it.
Less than a fraction of a percent of people practice deep ecology, veganism, and other ethical lifestyles.
Our species is an anthropogenic mass extinction event, and by the end of this century if not sooner, we will have destroyed the biosphere as completely as was seen in the previous five mass extinctions.
A time for mourning.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that as with how the natives handled Custer, standing your ground violently is the only way to stop violent earth-killers.
The days of Gandhi and MLK are long gone, and as you see, they both got shot to death.
Bringing a knife to a gun fight, or refusing to fight fire with fire, is a recipe for being slaughtered.
Or as Earth First! says: no compromise in defense of Mother Earth.

2 Likes

Not the human species David, the American white male and his lady other parts. American Blacks haven’t done this, Hawaiians haven’t done this, nor Eskimo’s. The Chinese and Asians in the US have been not decimated anything. O and by the way, Native Americans have fought to stop this scourge. Are they not in “our species”?

2 Likes

Family, LET US NOT HAVE 1 DROP ° OF FEAR.

1 Like