Home | About | Donate

'Huge Victory for Texas Voters': Federal Judge Rules in Favor of 127,000 Drive-Thru Ballots

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/02/huge-victory-texas-voters-federal-judge-rules-favor-127000-drive-thru-ballots

2 Likes

Wow, the awesome Brett Wilkins is now a Common Dreams staff writer! Thank you and congratulations!

Once i pay rent i’ll try to squeeze out a contribution.

1 Like

bravo to the federal judge who had the courage to do the right thing. hard to imagine these days.

4 Likes

This blatant effort at vote suppression, over a fake issue, a technicality that has zero to do with the validity of any vote, just shows the desperation of these losers. And it’s exactly as Trump himself said out loud. Something like “if everyone gets to vote and they count all the votes, Republicans will never win another election.”

Here’s the quote. He was speaking (on Fox “news”) about the Covid-19 economic stimulus and relief package that he and the Republicans rejected because:

“The things they had in there were crazy. They had things, levels of voting that if you’d ever agreed to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.”

6 Likes

It’s one of the few things the republican party hates about Trump, he says out loud, what they only talk about in private.

Any judge who would entertain the idea of suppressing the will of the voters in this country, should immediately be put on an impeachment list and removed ASAP, I’m looking at you Kavanaugh.

9 Likes

Thanks for the kind words and for reading and supporting Common Dreams! Do I know you?

Just from these comment threads. I’ve commented on previous articles of yours that CD ran before bringing you on staff. I always appreciate your solid and straightforward historical grounding.

4 Likes

This should not be happening ??? we should all want to count all the votes??? A party that is doing all this voter suppression should not be a party anymore-----THE REPUBLICAN PARTY STANDS FOR NOTHING.

From what I understand mail delivery is at 70% and it should be at 95%------one million and half mail in ballots not received yet in Florida???

5 Likes

I’m glad they stopped threatening to cancel so many votes, but the judge who scheduled Monday’s hearing (rather than properly throwing out something so maliciously frivolous) has got to be a slime-ball for subjecting voters to such ridiculous suspense in the first place. This is supposed to be our government, our court system, and whenever they happen to recognize our existence (let alone the fact that, in a democracy, we’re supposed to be in charge) it’s a “huge victory” – by Texas standards, I guess.

Another thing: Texas just cancelled drive-thru voting for election day. I almost get the impression they’re desperate to suppress the vote by hook or by crook down there in the increasingly non-white Lone-Star state, for some strange reason…

Great. Another sane rejection.

2 Likes

It’s interesting to me that the quotes about the Republicans at the end of the article are from a conservative. Kinda underscores the fact that the GOP - ideologically - is no longer “conservative,” at all.

The GOP has become a redefined, 21st century version of the Nazis - a pretty steep deviation from conservatism.

1 Like