Home | About | Donate

'Huge Win for Democracy': Nationwide Celebrations as NYC Residents Approve Ranked-Choice Voting Ballot Measure

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/06/huge-win-democracy-nationwide-celebrations-nyc-residents-approve-ranked-choice

3 Likes

As I said in early January 2017, DJT–in his own, broken-clock way–is going to be the best organizer the US left has had since Eugene Victor Debs. I sense a sea-change in the electorate.

7 Likes

Ranked Choice Works…Here We Go…This is the Arrow in the Heart of Oligarchy

5 Likes

In a word: YES!
Now may it spread nation wide!

5 Likes

Trump is only a “symptom” of the problems of the u.s.

4 Likes

Ranked Choice won’t do much unless the DNC use’s it in the primaries instead of Super Delegate’s. It will help Third Parties though and I’m all for that.

5 Likes

RCV would need some adjustments to work well in the primaries because the primaries are not one-winner or winner-take-all elections as the general elections are. (Superdelegates are still a problem, but a separate one, I think.)

Fairvote.org is worth a look - it seems to offer progressives an opportunity to get involved in fixing democracy without the usual partisan MAGA-vs-libtards hostility. My guess is that most people like the idea of RCV once they hear about it; progressives could spread the word and get some positive feedback to offset the daily bad news.

4 Likes

THIS is what we need in every state –
We need to push for action by Democrats to make this happen in our own states –
What would it take – ?
Here in NJ we are expecting to have Legalization of Marijuana on the ballot in 2020,
but no promises.
Adding RANKED voting would bring out large crowds.

Very much disappointed here in NJ that we didn’t succeed against the right wing here –
despite so many new registered Democrats in our area.

2 Likes

IMHO, even if not used in the Primary it will affect the Convention because of the pressure to pick the Voters’ top choice rather than the Party Insiders’ top choice as RCV in the General will make a third-party challenge MUCH more viable.  (Imagine 2016 if voters could have picked Sanders and Stein as
a second choice after Hilliary & Kaine; Tweetle-Dumb would have been lucky to get 35 or 40 percent.  The down side is that we’d have had a wanna-be Cleopatra as presidunce instead of a wanna-be Mus­solini, but at least neither Kavanaugh nor Barr would have even been nominated, much less confirmed.)

1 Like

Vermont is working on it. This will help.

3 Likes

Yes, Yes, Yes, Carl, — faux Emperor Trump is only a “symptom” of this Disguised Global Crony Capitalist EMPIRE, which is only nominally HQed in, and merely ‘posing’ as our formerly “promising” and sometimes progressive country (PKA) America!

As Prof. Robinson definitively ‘exposed’:

“The U.S. state is a key point of condensation for pressures from dominant
groups around the world to resolve problems of global capitalism and to
secure the legitimacy of the system overall. In this regard, “U.S.”
imperialism refers to the use by transnational elites of the U.S. state
apparatus (hard & soft powers) to continue to attempt to expand,
defend, and stabilize the global capitalist system. We are witness less
to a “U.S.” imperialism per se than to a global capitalist imperialism.
We face an EMPIRE OF GLOBAL CAPITAL, headquartered, for evident
historical reasons, in Washington.”
[Caps added]

Global Capitalism and the Crisis of Humanity, 2014 Robinson, William
Cambridge University Press.

2 Likes

Not sure, but I thought the State of Maine also has RCV. Voted in last year?

Here in Oregon, Corvallis voted in RCV two years ago and it was implemented in last May’s election. Worked great!!

Hi rolson:
I had no idea that the Oligarchy had a heart----I did hear once that if they had one, but it was made of stone. We might have to nuke it! : )

I’m in Cottage Grove and I don’t think it’s here yet. Someone told me it is on the NEXT ballot in Vermont; I don’t know about Maine.

I hate the half-stepping. This needs to be NATIONAL and right soon!

“Very much disappointed here in NJ that we didn’t succeed against the right wing here - despite so many new registered Democrats in our area.”

Just curious, North or South Jersey? I was born in South Jersey, still have family there, to my knowledge they’ve all drank the red Kool-Aid long ago.

1 Like

Sounds like a bad idea, considering how close to sea level–thus vulnerable to inundation–is Washington DC…

I like ranked choice voting.

It means you greens can run against us blues without inviting in those reds.

Howdy neighbor!!

I’m a member of the Linn-Benton Green Party. We spearheaded the citizens initiative to enact Ranked Choice Voting (RCV) several years ago. Our Oregon Green chapter is probably the most active in Oregon. That being said, the Lane County Greens are pretty active as well and communicate with us here in Benton on a regular basis. I would recommend that you join the Lane chapter and check it out to see what is up with RCV. Link here to Oregon chapters. https://www.pacificgreens.org/chapters. Lane County Greens have a website and a Facebook page all listed at the link.

All voting issues not regulated by the Sec’y of State of Oregon are the responsibility of the 36 counties in Oregon. All voting and election issues reside with County Elections located at the County Court House.

Because of the way that voting/elections work in each State and cannot Constitutionally be controlled at the Federal level, there is no way to leapfrog RCV to the national level. Something to do with State’s rights and such :slight_smile:

And by the way, the Green Party Chapters and often the Oregon state GP support the Oregon Community Rights Network. They are putting on an event at the Monroe Library on 11/14 from 6pm to 8pm. Folks from the Lane and Lincoln County community rights (CR) groups that have proposed or passed citizens initiatives to ban aerial spraying will be there to talk about the process and what to expect from the corporate boys and girls in the way of push back when the people rise up and exercise their right to govern in the places where they live. We also have some folks in a Cottage Grove group that are working on initiatives for Lane Co. that you might be interested in. Hope to see ya in Monroe !!

Hi Recon –

Central NJ, actually – Westfield, ScotchPlans, Fanwood, Cranford, Clark –
all pretty much surrounding and connected.

When you say “South Jersey,” I imagine you are talking about areas further past
what we call “the shore” –

But areas like even near Deal and Asbury and a bit further South are kind of united in
Catholic religion – Irish identity. But interesting things are happening even there.
I’d love to see Chris SMITH gone.
He’s one of the rabid anti-abortion Catholics in Congress.

Think dangerous – consider the Fascist Five on the Supreme Court –
and out for themselves, mainly – and now two perverts among them. “Christians”

Still a mystery to me as to why Kennedy left so abruptly.
Something going on there.

1 Like