Home | About | Donate

Human Kindness: America’s Positive People

Human Kindness: America’s Positive People

Charles Bayer

Last week I described how I have often encountered America’s positive people — those I know, as well as complete strangers who have gone out of their way to be gracious and helpful.

"We must not be Ruled by Fear, or be kept in line by how this Administration defines the "Outsiders" we are supposed to Hate."

This is just the latest, in a LONG LINE of Administrations, that is blaming Muslims as a Distraction from the True Culprits, who are behind our loss of Constitutional Rights, and are the cause of Endless War.

It's not just muslims, it is anyone who is not rich and white.

There is a lot of good, positive, kind people in America, so let me ask: HOW IN THE HELL DID WE END UP WITH SUCH A ROTTEN GOVERNMENT?

Easy answer: most voters do not know that they are victims of propaganda. Read THE DEATH OF COMMON SENSE by Philip K. Howard and you will realize that critical thinking also died.

I hope that's the case in the U.S. today, so that Bannon, Flynn, Manafort and Tweetle-Dumb won't be able to hide here when the Feds close in. Of course their buddy Putin will gladly provide them sanctuary in Russia.  The downside is that with Drümpf gone the fascist Repooplicans will still be in charge, and Pence is much
more likely to do Ryan's bidding . . .

Good question. Perhaps because a great deal of the US is conservative, and got swallowed up by thinking that the authoritarianism imposed by a scolding government after the recession would be the answer. Corruption rules? I do not know where that comes from.

The conservative and evangelical thinking is that you deserve what you get so if you are poor you must have done something to deserve it. If you are rich- then g-d rewards you with more money for being rich. Sick and has nothing to do with spirituality. I do not know where this comes from but Ryan, Trump, devos , ( devious), Bannon, and the Trump voters all subscribe to this. It apparently also has Puritan roots. It is definitely a sickness.

These people with hearts of stone, are a bunch of Bible thumping hypocrites! Their real Bible is... Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand!

That is precisely their belief system. There is a long out of print ( I think.) book called. "Nixon Agonisties" by Garry Wills that uses Richard Nixon as a way to explore the historical source of that system of values and all the psychological and political consequences that come from them.

The very wealthy, at least the ones I had occasion to mingle with during one phase of my life, truly do believe that their wealth is spendable proof that they have God's grace and that anything do to protect their wealth and accumulate more is blessed and, conversely, that poor people deserve their miserable living conditions because they lack the 'gumption" to do for themselves.

They cannot be made to see otherwise. A lot of them contribute to charities which they point to as a way of proving that they are truly good. That the charities they contribute to usually do nothing for the socially disadvantaged. If anyone should dare to suggest that they could share some of their wealth with those who they consider unworthy, they will angrily blame "envy" which, to them, shows that the poor are trying to use pity hustles and the laying on of guilt trips to undermine God's prescribed order of things.

It will take a major societal disruption stretching across the whole upper class to detach society from the malign influence of this longstanding and deeply embedded belief system.

Ah yes, the Prosperity Gospel, which, as far as I can tell, is nothing but really poor theology, at least for Christians.

Jesus (they're supposed to love him, right?) was pretty explicit and very extreme about wealth. (Spoiler alert: he was against it.)

First off, he talks about not being able to serve two masters (God and Mammon, or Money). That should tell you something right there.

Then, he also blows up Prosperity Gospel thinking by stating outright that "He (God) causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." (Matt.5:45) He doesn't add the disclaimer "Unless, you know, you believe really, really hard." Indeed, belief wasn't that profound for Jesus, it seems. See Matt. 7:21-23 for more on that, and James, of course, but a lot of Christians really hate poor old James.

Anyway, when asked by the rich young man what he must do to gain eternal life, Jesus tells him to give all his money to the poor (Matt. 19:16-22). Check it out: "Jesus answered, 'If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'

"When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth."

He followed this up with a really famous statement: "Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." (Matt. 19:23-24)

Yep. Not too hep with the wealth. In fact, it's so important to him he talks about it again: "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." (Matt. 8:20) To be a follower of his meant you had to be homeless and penniless. This was quite explicit. He was very demanding, that Jesus fellow.

All that comes from the very first book of the New Testament. These aren't obscure parables, either. These are really straightforward declarations that make people incredibly uncomfortable. And we can't say Jesus didn't warn us about false prophets, either, but that's another post.

Right on, on point. I get exasperated with all these self righteous folks characterizing themselves as Christians while they behave in exactly the opposite way.

Mr. Hedges calls them christian, fascists which pretty much nails it!

I am not sure where they get this then, but it is really perverse.

And many of them inherited their wealth. Where did they get this perversity anyway? It has nothing to do with religion or spirituality. Also, what charities would they give to anyway? Let's see the next time they grow their own food, take care of their own diseases, build their own roads etc. Sick people, and should not be allowed to share this planet.

Yes, and they even believe that if something bad happens to someone- they deserve it. When my best friend;s husband got cancer one of these types, said, " He must have done something bad, and he deserves it." She never even met this person! He did pass away, some years ago, and he was a wonderful person. What makes someone so cruel, then call themselves "good"? Did 'nt Ayn Rand ultimately get diagnosed with mental illness?

A lot of them commit white collar crimes ( Wall Street), then blame someone else or laugh about their rewards.

What made them like that?

The elites think that being kind is equal to being weak.

Whether or not Ayn was diagnosed as mentally dysfunctional, if she really believed that crap that she wrote she must have been!